SMRS Tour Modifieds make return to Hickory on Saturday Night

SMRS Tour Modifieds Make Return To Hickory On Saturday Night

CHARLOTTE, NC (September 28) – The Tour-type Modifieds of the Southern Modified Racing Series (SMRS) Presented By PASS will be back on track this weekend for a special night of racing at the legendary Hickory Motor Speedway. The South’s best Modified racers will compete for 125 green flag laps Saturday night in their first race at Hickory since the series inaugural event back in March.

The race for the first ever SMRS title is going right down to the wire since Caraway winner, Burt Myers, took the points lead by four points over three time race winner, John Smith. Jason Myers sits just 36 points back thanks to his Labor Day win at Dillon Motor Speedway. While they will have to split their focus between trying to win Saturday night at Hickory and maximizing their points potential, Concord, NC’s Bobby Measmer, Jr. returns this weekend with simpler expectations.

“Returning to SMRS this weekend at Hickory is going to be what Saturday night short track racing is all about and that’s having fun,” says Measmer, driver of the Crispy’s Bar & Grill/Lead 2 Real Estate #14. The last race we ran was at Tri-County, we had a competitive car, just didn’t get the end result we wanted due to a racing accident in the closing laps. We had a decent run at Hickory in March and finished fourth and we’re using some of the stuff we learned that weekend for the race this weekend. Plus, some of the things we’ve hit on since then.”

The SMRS season has featured some of the most competitive racing the South has ever seen from the Tour-type Modifieds. From the side-by-side battle between John Smith and Burt Myers over the last 20 laps at Tri-County to the multiple lead changes and fierce battle between Tim Brown and Andy Jankoiak at Caraway. But, for many observers, Concord in May ranks as perhaps the best. Measmer was able to hold off Myers and Modified ace, Ryan Preece, to take a popular win in front of the hometown crowd.

“We got our first ever Tour Modified win at Concord Speedway with SMRS and that win gave myself and my team confidence going forward that we can be one of the top teams in the south,” says Measmer. “Winning Concord was an awesome experience for me. To be able to win in front of my family and a lot of the same fans that used to watch me on Saturday nights was picture perfect. On top of that, I beat one of the best there is in Modifieds, Ryan Preece, so it was very special.”

In addition to the SMRS Tour Modifieds, it will be an action packed Saturday night of action at Hickory Motor Speedway that will also feature Supertrucks, 4 Cylinders, Sportsman Classic Racing Series, Allison Legacy, and East Coast Flatheads.

The Southern Modified Racing Series Presented By PASS will hit the track this Saturday night at Hickory Motor Speedway, with grandstands opening at 5 PM and racing starting at 7 PM.

License forms, rules, and entry forms for Hickory Motor Speedway are now posted at SouthernModifiedRacingSeries.com.

The Pro All Stars Series is recognized as North America’s premier sanctioning body for asphalt Super Late Models and Modifieds, boasting such marquee events as the legendary Oxford 250 at Oxford Plains Speedway and the Easter Bunny 150 at the historic Hickory Motor Speedway. For technical information concerning any PASS division, please send questions to passracing@roadrunner.com. For media or marketing questions, please contact Alan Dietz at 704-231-2039 or alandietzpass@live.com. Please visit ProAllStarsSeries.com for more information. And, don’t forget to “Like” the Southern Modified Racing Series on Facebook or follow PASS on Twitter @PASSSLM14 to keep up with breaking news as it happens.

Archived