I need your help!

I hate to throw out issues on a public site but I feel in this case it will be most beneficial. The last three races we have had issues with people drinking in the pits during and after the races.

First during the racing: I know this has gone on for years. We live in a different world then we did 10 years ago. If you or a team member get caught drinking during the races you will be Dq'ed and asked to leave the pits. If you look over the legal limit to drive we will get you a taxi.

After the races: If peoples property continue to come up missing and physical altercations continue we will be forced to close the pits and kick everyone out at a set curfew time.

So I need your help: I DO NOT want to have to get involved. You are grown men and women. Please work with me and look around during the races. If you see someone misbehaving say something to them nicely. Lets keep STS a kid friendly and safe place to race and have fun.

Thank you for your help,

Ken Hobbs

I always thought that was the rule anyways for the "during" part. Aren't you supposed to surrender pit pass if drinking? After the races, OK have a beer or two, but don't get back in that car. I know several cars go back out for hot laps and the fans are allowed in the pits after and that's a good thing, but if we have people that had been drinking in a car, it's a nightmare waiting to happen. Drivers and fans have been pretty good about keeping an eye out for each other, especially after the completion of events. Sorry you have to say this Ken, should be a rule that's already known and enforced.

THIS stealing has got to stop .scumbags .with folks staying in the pits over night and some leaving their equipment should be able to feel safe .this not only hurts the team that lost but puts a bad taste for anyone in the future from anywhere wanting to park over night .hope they are found ..as for fighting that's bs too .

I have been one of the guys that leaves my equipment in the pits on two day shows. I have never felt that racers would steal from fellow racers but times may have actually changed that much, I hope not. I have been the victim of a major racing theft from our place of business and it is a very bitter experience, especially when you can't find who was responsible. Good luck to those that lost property and may the thiefs be caught and dealt with harshly.

The vast majority of racers are honest, good-hearted folks who would never steal from a fellow racer and are well known for coming to the aid of fellow racers in need. But once in a great while, we learn of a racer stealing from a fellow racer.

Frankly, any racer caught stealing from a fellow racer had best move to another state because racers don't take kindly to thieves.

Nick

Oh how the times have changed!

I've only been directly involved in the sport for 55 years, so maybe I'm not the right one to be making commentary on how the sport has changed.

But...

1) Back in the day, folks respected their competition, the fans and the track/series management. And I'm not talking about the phony kind of respect you see folks trying to pass of as genuine these days.

2) Back in the day, you never heard of anything being stolen from the pits. Sure, stuff was stolen from motel parking lots and thieves would break into someone's shop and take whatever they could, but at least you could trust a fellow racer with your stuff - without question.

3) Back in the day, racers had their own code of behavior and if someone broke those unwritten rules, that someone ended up wishing they hadn't. Each track had very similar sets of unwritten rules, almost as if they had the internet and shared their stuff with each other. It was just plain common sense stuff that anyone with half a brain and some idea of what it tales to be a good neighbor would understand right away.

Call me an old fart, old-school, washed up or whatever. Frankly, I am just about fed up with what I see taking place at most tracks these days. And it's not that I'm a negative sort of guy. In fact I've spent the last 15 or 16 years making sure this site stays as positive as possible - with varying degrees of success I'm sure.

I'm not much for boating and I'm not sure I could even bait a fishhook, but at 72 I've taken up the civilized sport of golf, which is taking more and more of my time these days.

Nick

Archived