Sign in to follow this  
geetar

Questions about bending tube

heck i use to use a wielded piece of pipe to the shop door frame .slid my pipe through it and pulled and that was thick heavy pipe then built a few racecars off that tiny piece of pipe . even used the racecar to bend pipe using .door bars bumpers and such ..between two trees.. now we use a pipe bender from harbor freight ..cheap but works ok .got any friends at a muffler shop ..

Edited by HiTech

heck i use to use a wielded piece of pipe to the shop door frame .slid my pipe through it and pulled and that was thick heavy pipe then built a few racecars off that tiny piece of pipe . even used the racecar to bend pipe using .door bars bumpers and such ..between two trees.. now we use a pipe bender from harbor freight ..cheap but works ok .got any friends at a muffler shop ..

As a matter of fact I work at a shop that has a hydraulic bender. Didn't know if that would work or not.

work great if you have the right dies to fit 1 3/4, 1 1/2 o.d. tubing. Old muffler tubing benders work awesome, again with the proper die set.

if its for a cage...don't use a pipe bender, i use a manual tubing bender like the one for sale in the classifieds right now... speedway has a decent one for 800 with all the dies....

Just to make things clear, pipe and tubing are two different animals. Tubing is measured from outside diameter and pipe is measured inside diameter. If you use a pipe die on tubing to bend it, it will more than likely kink or distort the tubing. I only bring this to light because if you have kinked tubing in your roll cage and you take a hard lick, it will most likely fail, and nobody wants to see an injured race car driver. Godspeed my friends.