‘50 is Nifty’ for Jeff Fultz In PASS South action at South Boston

‘50 Is Nifty’ For Jeff Fultz In PASS South Action at South Boston

SOUTH BOSTON, VA (August 13) – Veteran Jeff Fultz outlasted a strong field of Pro All Stars Series (PASS) South Super Late Models Saturday night at South Boston Speedway to take his long awaited first career victory in the series. The win by Fultz was made even more meaningful by the fact that he becomes the 50th different winner in the series dating back to its beginnings in 2006.

“I just love South Boston and I don’t get to race much anymore, plus the guys worked all day in 100 degree heat to get this car right,” said Fultz of his milestone win. “I’ve never won a PASS race, three white flags and we’re leading and the caution comes out and we end up losing. It’s a tough series and they race everywhere. I’ve finally got something to put on my resume that I have been waiting a long time to get.”

Former PASS National Champion, Preston Peltier captured his series leading 20th career quick qualifying time with a lap of 15.607 seconds (92.266 mph) and by luck of the top 10 qualifiers redraw would start on the pole alongside PASS South rookie, Kodie Conner.

On a sweltering night in southern Virginia, Peltier would jump out to the early lead, before the caution would wave on lap 9 when the car of Brandon Setzer slowed due to a broken rear end. On the restart, Florida’s Dalton Sargeant was able to get the advantage over Peltier to take the lead. The caution would fly again on lap 52 when Ron Young spun after a tap from Spencer Davis. PASS South points leader, Matt Craig, narrowly escaped as he spun to avoid Young.

Back under way, Peltier returned the favor to Sargeant as he retook the lead using the outside groove. Several cars were making their way towards the front after poor qualifying runs, including Joey Padgett, Trey Jarrell, and Jared Fryar. Former Oxford 250 winner, Jeramie Whorff, made his way in to the top 10 after starting 19th by passing Fryar on lap 71. The caution would wave again with 66 laps to go after Young spun again in turn three due to contact from Conner.

On the restart, Sargeant would spin his tires allowing Fultz to move into second. After pitting earlier to make adjustments, defending PASS South Super Late Model champion, Tate Fogleman, appeared to have one of the fastest cars on the track, passing Conner for fifth with 39 laps to go. Conner would be forced to stop on the track in turn two with 23 laps to go because of a broken hub.

Peltier led the field to green on the restart, but his machine hesitated, allowing Fultz and Fogleman to sneak by entering turn one. As the field took evasive action for Peltier’s slow start, rookie Chase Purdy spun into the back straightaway wall hard as he tried to clear the lapped machine of John-Michae Shenette. As Purdy and Shenette spun back down the track, several cars would be collected in the pileup, including Craig, Jarrell, Blake Jones, Conner, Tyler Ankrum, and Davis. Following a red flag to clean up the speedway, Peltier’s car would not fire and he would be forced from the race due to a dead battery.

Fultz took command and would lead the remaining laps for his first win with the LFR Chassis team over Fogleman, Sargeant, Fryar, and Whorff. Rounding out the top 10 would be Padgett, Deac McCaskill, Craig, Hannah Newhouse, and Young.

The PASS South Super Late Models will return to action on Saturday, September 24 for another 150 lapper at Hickory Motor Speedway.
For more information, please go to ProAllStarsSeries.com, follow us on Twitter at @PASSSLM14, or “Like” the Pro All Stars Series on Facebook.

PASS Super Late Model – SoBo 150 – Unofficial Results

1. 19 – Jeff Fultz 150 13. 97 – Chase Purdy 127

2. 8 – Tate Fogleman 150 14. 58 – Tyler Ankrum 127

3. 55 – Dalton Sargeant 150 15. 12 – Trey Jarrell 127

4. 116 – Jared Fryar 150 16. 45 – Kodie Conner 126

5. 4 – Jeramie Whorff 150 17. 82 – John-Michael Shenette 126

6. 83 – Joey Padgett 150 18. 96 – Blake Jones 126

7. 2 – Deac McCaskill 149 19. 99 – Peyton Sellers 83

8. 54 – Matt Craig 149 20. 16 – Vinnie Miller 83

9. 98 – Hannah Newhouse 148 21. 71 – Jimmy Doyle 65

10. 15 – Ron Young 146 22. 6 – Brandon Setzer 8

11. 33 – Preston Peltier 128 23. 57 – Jeff Scofield DNS