Decades of Asphalt: C.C. Speedway 1995 / 96 Full Length Videos

RichardFord

its been 20 years since we filmed these races at C.C. Speedway / Donnie Yocum is the person who got me started in filming. In Honor of him we will be uploading all the races we still have left from C.C. Speedway from Back in 1995 & 1996. Thank you for showing me the way Mr. Yocum , if not for you I would not be where I am today. RIP Mr. Donnie Yocum.
Ps thank to all the driver who encouraged me , with your kind words and advise on our videos.
Decades of Asphalt| C.C. Speedway | Street Stocks | June 15 , 1996

Decades of Asphalt | C.C. Speedway | Street Stocks | June 22 , 1996

Decades of Asphalt | C.C. Speedway | Street Stock | June 29 , 1996

Decades of Asphalt | C.C. Speedway | Street Stocks | July 6 , 1996

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FORD THANKS .forgot that old 55 mustang .bobby burrows .me .steven carpenter built that car for pops oldest driver to win a championship in 91 in his late 50s and a first championship for a mustang ..I thought the old man was crazy when he wanted us to build him that car ...I think lalo went to win his championship in that same car before it was destroyed when his throttle stuck open ..

In Heat 2 of the Late Models....That yellow #4 car looks very familiar to me. The late Dave Cooke and I raced that car at Longhorn for years and won the track championship in 1993. Dave hauled that car to CC and swapped it for a IMCA Modified Dirt Car...I recall it had "Radical Randy" on the roof for the drivers name before we painted it. I could be off on the name because it was 20 years ago but Hi-Tech probably can fill us in (??) That was a Pontiac Grand Prix and Dave raced it as #7 if anyone can remember him from Longhorn. He won 12 or 13 features that year and we still lost money but had a ton of fun. The cars name was "Cupcake"

Thanks again Richard that train race was a blast . I remember joey or john trying to push us down into those stalled cars in turn one made me go ooooohhhhhh blank blank .you just cant stop 14000 pounds of rolling metal just like that .. had a fast fast old olds 425 rocket under the hood till it became a 6 cylinder rod and piston parts landed on my my brothers windshield .. come to think of it our brake man was jesse Sandoval and up till then I have never heard of him and still did not know his name after the race .. go figure later in years we would team up and we know the rest of the story there ...some folks think that is easy to do a train race and is in some ways but try and get three drivers on the same page is tuff

Thanks Richard for the memories. That was indeed a learning period for me. I loved racing and watching races. Still do.

Mr Yocum was a great leader and truly loved racing. That passion was shared with the rest of us. I am blessed to have been a small part of that decade. Great people, serious racing.

You are correct. I traded my IMCA car for Dave's car. I really enjoyed that car but just couldn't afford what it took to run with guys Like Witche, Carlucci Branscom etc. Unfortunately that car is no longer around. I never did get back into racing it after around 97 or 98 and it sat on my trailer in storage. Someone wanted to buy the trailer and I told him he would have to take the car with it, so he did. This was around 2005 or 2006. From what I understand he took the engine out and put it in a 1962 Impala and then took the car and sold it for scrap. I hope Dave enjoyed that IMCA. I never did hear how it went for him.

I hope Dave enjoyed that IMCA. I never did hear how it went for him. I am still in shock someone read that and it was the actual owner! I put hundreds of hours on both the car you got from Dave and the IMCA he got from you. I wondered often what became of "CupCake" over the years, now I know. You'll be interested to know that before we ever considered it, we researched what we were getting into. We went to BellMead (up near Waco) several times and talked to many people. He never did really well with it and became discouraged. The last straw was a bent front clip not of his own doing. He went to asphalt trying to "rekindle" the old spirits and bought another super stock (then called Limited Modified) and raced a couple of nights at ThunderHill..This car was then about 15 years old and way behind on technology and did poorly so he.sold it to a guy who never raced it (literally, he let it sit). Your former car was then used as a "trainer" for the guys at the shop but having no skin in the game, they wrecked it pretty regularly. Dave bought another car from a guy in Killeen and then another one from Hewes, who he saw win a race in it with at STS. He won several features with it and sold it just before suffering a debilitating aneurysm in Dec of 2006. He passed in Dec of 2013 after many years of struggle RIP. The last time I saw the Imca car was it being loaded into the back of a Featherlite that Dave basically gave it to in 2001 and it was headed to Indiana. Thanks Radical for speaking up I was correct and thank you to RichardFord for all the great memories...This is one of the greatest post ever on this site and these memories of 20 years ago are priceless. Sure I speak for many

I have been uploading quite a few tapes onto my computer over the past few days , but we have decided to space some of the videos out over the next few months , so we dont burn you guys out. So what we have decided to do , is on the night the race was held (April 30 / Sept 2 ) , is when we will schedule the video to be released on youtube. That should give you 3 to 4 videos to watch a week and hopefully not burn you out. I so far have from June threw Aug up of several videos , 95 and 96 , we hope to get each division up on it original race dates ASAP. Just be patient it may take a little while to get them all up from 95-96

Thank you , it is nice to know that these are bringing back so many memories , it makes it all worth it. Enjoy

I'm sorry to hear Dave has passed on. I'm also sorry he didn't have much luck with the IMCA car. Dave was one hell of a driver. May he rest in peace.

Archived