IHRA President's Cup Nationals Fueled by Sunoco Results

For Immediate Release

IHRA President's Cup Nationals Fueled by Sunoco Results

No. 1 Qualifier Cary Goforth Takes Pro Stock Title and Claims Points Lead; Bob Malloy Wins Nitro Motorcycle and Sets National Record

MECHANICSVILLE, Md. (June 18, 2016) - The record-setting trend set on Friday continued Saturday at the IHRA President's Cup Nationals. Cary Goforth (Pro Stock), Bob Malloy (Nitro Motorcycle), Tim Boychuk (AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car) and Kevin McCurdy (Pro Mod) took their respective titles at Maryland International Raceway.

Goforth entered the event three markers out of the points lead and dominated the day. He was the No. 1 qualifier, ran the table in eliminations and took the points lead after the season's third race. He defeated Brad Waddle, John Pluchino and Trevor Eman on his way to the winner's circle. Goforth was the only No. 1 qualifier that advanced past the first round of eliminations; it was his second win in three races this season. Texas Nationals winner and previous Pro Stock points leader John Konigshofer did not qualify for eliminations.

"I think a big advantage today was having lane choice," Goforth said. "The right lane was just a little bit better, and it was very important to keep lane choice. Our car's had issues; we're just now kind of figuring out what it wants so we can make some passes. Our team's been in a little bit of a slump; we're gonna fight our way out of it. We're happy, and I'm really appreciative. It's a good Father's Day gift for my Dad so we're really happy."

Malloy set the IHRA elapsed time national record on his way to the winner's circle. After defeating Jake Stordeur in the first round, he posted a 6.204-second pass, the quickest in IHRA history, to defeat Jay Turner and advance to the finals. To leave Maryland International Raceway with the national record, he needed to make a run within one percent of his record mark in the final. He did just that taking out Tii Tharpe with a 6.259-second effort to win the race and back up his national record. Although he lost in the semifinals, Jay Turner took the Nitro Motorcycle points lead after Randall Andras, who led the points entering the weekend, lost in the first round.

"It hasn't hit home yet; I needed that win bad - what a day," Malloy said. "It couldn't have worked out any better. We've been creeping up on it, but it's been giving us trouble. I had my mind made up that if I didn't do well here, I was gonna stay home and test. We've been right on the edge for the last couple of races so it came through today. We were trying to win the race - not set the record. This is the only high-gear-only bike out here, naturally aspirated. So I think I proved a point here today."

Tim Boychuk became the third AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car winner in the season's first three races. He defeated Paul Romine, Steve Nichols and Mike McIntire, Jr. on his way to the winner's circle. The top two drivers in the AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car point standings entering the weekend, Shawn Bowen and Jason Rupert, were defeated in the first round of eliminations.

"This is excellent; we got rid of our old tune-up and put a new tune-up in it," Boychuk said. "We tested in Phoenix in February. The car was running like it was today, but then we changed something. Now we put it back to the new setup, and the car was like a bracket car today - three 5.71s in a row and a 5.72 in the final round. The car's just right on rails and running good so everything's just perfect."

In Pro Mod, McCurdy raced past Fredy Scriba, Angela Kinson, Steve King and Mac McAdams on the way to the first IHRA victory of his career. Pro Mod No. 1 qualifier Billy Harper broke and was unable to compete in eliminations.

"It's been a good weekend," McCurdy said. "We battled the track a little bit trying to get wheel speed - the track was a little bit tight. Other than that it was a really good weekend. This was the first IHRA race I ever entered; I enjoyed the whole thing - it was great."

To view complete results, please click here.

The 2016 IHRA Drag Racing Series season continues next week at the IHRA Canadian Nationals presented by Williams Racing June 24-26 at Grand Bend Motorplex in Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada. The three-day show will feature Top Fuel dragsters, AMSOIL Nitro Funny Cars, Pro Mod, Pro Stock, Nitro Motorcycles and sportsman racing. For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit IHRADRS.com.

The Summit Pro-Am Tour for sportsman racing resumes Sunday at Maryland International Raceway. Qualifying begins at 9 a.m. eastern time followed by eliminations in nine classes. Tickets are available at the gate and online. Each ticket includes free pit access providing driver interaction and an up-close view of the action.

For more information, please visit IHRADRS.com, raceMDIR.com or call
(301) 884-9833.

###

Archived