Ryan Moore outduels competition for PASS SLM win at Concord

Ryan Moore Outduels Competition For Old Glory 125 Win At Concord

MIDLAND, NC (May 27) – Ryan Moore took advantage of a late race restart over Trevor Sanborn and led the rest of the way to win Friday night’s Old Glory 125 at Concord Speedway for the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) South Super Late Models. Moore’s victory was his first since taking the checkered flag at Caraway Speedway nearly two years ago.

post-3-0-08669900-1464476696_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of PASS PR

“I just tried to run a smart race, these things always some to come down to a couple of restarts at the end and I knew that, so I tried to play it smart and it worked out,” said Moore, driver of the RC Moore Transportation #74. “At Caraway we had a bad race and honestly I was kind of dejected and had enough of it, but my dad, he never gives up and we stuck with it and I guess it’s for times like these.”

In qualifying, Trevor Noles claimed the Precision Built Spindles Pole Award with a lap of 113.314 mile per hour around the fast half-mile. Noles would start on the outside pole position after the top 10 qualifiers redraw, while defending PASS South Super Late Model champion, Tate Fogleman, would move to the pole.

At the start, Fogleman and Noles would go back-and-forth for the lead before Noles would assume sole command on lap 11. Several cars were on the move in the early going, including Jeramie Whorff, who started 19th and was up to 10th by lap 26. Another driver with a strong start was Tanner Berryhill, who started 14th and was in the top five by lap 31.

The biggest incident of the night occurred on lap 48 when Bradley McCaskill checked up after contact with Jake Crum, only to be spun by Jeff Batten, who had no way to avoid McCaskill as they entered turn three. McCaskill slammed hard into the outside wall and was eliminated from action.

On the restart, Clay Rogers was able to move by Noles for the lead, only to be overtaken by Noles 13 laps later. At this point, one of the fastest cars on the speedway appeared to belong to Trevor Sanborn. Sanborn moved around Rogers for second in the dogleg on lap 88 and would then move past Noles for the lead just six laps later.

With 19 laps to go, Caraway winner Matt Craig came to a stop on the front straightaway to bring out the race’s fourth caution of the night. On the restart, Sanborn appeared to spin his tires, allowing Noles to retake the lead and Jared Irvan to move from fourth to second. Irvan challenged Noles mightily for the lead before the caution waved again for the stalled car of Terry Horak with 15 laps to go.

On the ensuing restart, Irvan made the move by Noles on the outside of the dogleg for the lead, but the two would make contact entering turn three, sending both cars up the track and Sanborn back into the lead with Moore close behind. The final caution of the night would wave with 11 laps to go when PASS South points lead Kodie Conner spun in turn three.

Sanborn would once again spin his tires on the restart allowing Moore to move by and go on to become the eighth different winner in as many PASS South events at Concord Speedway. Sanborn held on to finish second over Irvan, Noles, and Crum. Rounding out the top 10 were Rogers, Trey Jarrell, Whorff, Ron Young, and Fogleman.

The PASS South Super Late Models will be in action for 150 laps next Saturday night, June 4 at South Boston Speedway, along with Twin 75s for the NASCAR Late Model Stocks. Be sure to “Like” the Pro All Stars Series on Facebook or follow us on Twitter at @PASSSLM14.

PASS Super Late Model – Old Glory 125 – Unofficial Results

1. 74 Ryan Moore 125 12. 2c – Sarah Cornett-Ching 124
2. 8 – Trevor Sanborn 125 13. 28h – Terry Horak 123
3. 28 – Jared Irvan 125 14. 82 – John-Michael Shenette 123
4. 22 – Trevor Noles 125 15. 54 – Matt Craig 122
5. 01 – Jake Crum 125 16. 17 – Tanner Berryhill 110
6. 15r – Clay Rogers 125 17. 16 – Hayes Goodson 96
7. 21 – Trey Jarrell 125 18. 5x – Wes Burton 85
8. 4 – Jeramie Whorff 125 19. 49 – Jeff Batten 54
9. 15 – Ron Young 125 20. 2 – Bradley McCaskill 47
10. 8f – Tate Fogleman 124 21. 33 – Roger Lee Newton 32
11. 45 – Kodie Conner 124 22. 83 – Joey Padgett 20