How to fix the Allstar Race?

JamesHigdon

I was in Corpus Saturday (and missed going to STS because of the damned rain) so I missed getting our usual racing fix at CTS (which I will be watching tonight!) and watched the NASCAR Allstar race. What an unmitigated tire fire that deal was; for those that missed it the cliff notes are confusing. NASCAR came up with a complicated format which included mandatory green flag pit stops each segment. Matt Kenseth was leading the first segment with five laps to go and everyone else had already taken their stops and many where a lap down to him; a yellow came out pinning those cars a lap down for the remainder of the night and getting Kenseth a penalty eliminating him. The race went on with 10 or so cars having an actual chance to win, NASCAR calling timeouts to check lugnuts and other weirdness. All that was said to say this, it didn't work.

I know that NASCAR doesn't give a damn what race fans think but what would YOU like to see? If you where Brian France what would you do?

Here's an idea that would actually make it interesting, run the race at a "Saturday night" style track. Let anyone who can get a ride together race and let them go for it. Run heats, LCQs and then a B-A main and see who is REALLY the best Stockcar driver in the country once a year? This would give a real and direct path up the ranks for local guys, the race would be nationally telivised and a huge boost to the weekly racers. The new cup cars are so silly expensive and specialized that they eliminate any local players from making an attempt so run latemodels thereby opening the field to others? Hell, NASCAR could give an automatic spot in the A to Whelen weekly series champs to bolster that program?

Chose the track from the NASCAR home tracks-tracks program (thereby bolstering that program) by a fan vote and only allow a region to get chosen once until every region is selected.

Seriously, they have tried every half-assed format they can come up with and the race was still snooze, I didn't even watch from the last half of the second segment on.

THAT race has played itself out time to find a very large dirt track and run the race there .maybe they should reverse the last 10 laps /// one racer said it took 10 minutes to explain what the rules were he said we knew it was going to be a problem when it takes that long ..

Well, generally speaking, I am not a fan of segment races and all of these crazy rules and gimmicks. If I had it my way, the Busch Clash/Budweiser Shootout at Daytona would still be a 20 lap race with only the previous years pole winners because it has become another All-Star race and takes something away from Charlotte in my opinion.

Now for the All-Star race, whatever name it's going by, I would keep it simple but add a few twists. Despite not liking segments, I think they can have their place in this event.

I would have 2 25-lap segments and 1 20-lap segment. You must make a green flag pit stop in each of the first two races, yellow laps DO NOT count in any of the 3 segments, and in the last segment the last two laps must be run under green. If the yellow comes out in the last two laps, everyone holds their position at the time of the yellow and we go again. We don't wave the checkered flag until 2 laps are run under green.

In the first two segments, drivers are awarded points based on the current point system. The winner of each segment receives $75,000 and a front row starting spot in the 600 the following weekend.

If a driver wins both segments 1 and 2, they receive $75,000 for each victory plus a $50,000 bonus (it's not my money) and will start on the pole in the 600. The outside front row starting spot would be determined by the highest points recipient that didn't win segments 1 or 2.

Here's the twist. After the 2nd segment, the drivers will be ranked in point order. Ties are broken by computing the average finishing position. If the average finishing position is the same, then we go with finishing position in the 2nd race.

A draw will then take place. The numbers will be 8-however many cars are on the lead lap (so a minimum of 8 are inverted). The draw will be pulled by a randomly selected fan. The lineup for the final segment will be determined by inverting the number of cars the fan pulls based on the point standings of segments 1 and 2.

If you where Brian France what would you do?

Take all the corporate money I've made off my traveling circus and hide out on a secluded island somewhere in the south pacific.....before my family fires me.

I guess we'll see on Tuesday how much of an alimony payment that Tony has to come up with this time for dissing NA$CAR.(telling the truth)

Let them Duke it out for (2) 75 lap races. First race winner gets $500,000, second race gets the Millon and a spot in the chase. All rules stay the same as a points race except of course no points. Leave the tire strategies, fuel, lug nuts up to the crew cheif. That way we will see who the best driver, crew cheif and team out there.

Let them Duke it out for (2) 75 lap races. First race winner gets $500,000, second race gets the Millon and a spot in the chase. All rules stay the same as a points race except of course no points. Leave the tire strategies, fuel, lug nuts up to the crew cheif. That way we will see who the best driver, crew cheif and team out there.

That's too simple Jason.....There's no France/Helton gimmikery involved....lol

Archived