"Its a liitle rough"

King237

A friend of mine who is a "Race Historian" sent me these pictures today. He lives just outside Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I wanted to share these pictures with all of you so you could see where the roots of racing came from and how far its come. I think you'll see "its a little rough" and definitely "needs work".

:rolleyes:

Can you imagine yourself racing this today? Feel free to share your comments/thoughts on what you would have done with a car like this "back in the day".

I have sent a mail to the originator and asked for more info on the photo's. Walt usually send me a story behind the pictures and this one didn't have one. I'll update this with a story hopefully but in the meantime, let your imagination run wild and make up your own. BobbyJack, you have an eye for detail brother....I didn't even notice the variance in the number of lug nuts! I only noticed those shocks and leaf springs and straight axle on the front. Nick, did you advise this guy about this at your suspension seminar? Major LOL

I'm from that area any idea what track it ran on? Of course just out side Pittsburgh covers a lo of ground.

What part? I was born in Jeannette and as a little kid I watched races all over western PA.

Ok curious race fans.....evidently Walt has a picture of this car running on a track he is digging up that I'll post when he sends it. In the meantime, savor this bit of info he threw at me:

If it is the car I think it is, it raced in western PA in the 1960s. It was a maroon # 10 back then and had several different drivers/owners. Was powered by a 6 cylinder Chevy, running in a class that did not allow OHV V-8 engines. I have a photo of it when running.

GOOD RACING!!!

Walt

Well that didn't take long.....more info for you with a picture:

Here is the car I think it is and although it was first a race car in the 60s it made it well into the 70s. Back in the days before “throw away race cars”!! I think the car was around a good ten years!! Photo was taken at Mercer Raceway where I announced for many years. Won quite a few races when Schaffer was driving it. Back then Mercer had three classes, Sprint Cars and two “coupe” classes, one for the V-8s and another for the 6-cylinder cars like this one. Mercer is still going strong after being shut for a few years in the 1980s-90s, but is rained out tonight.

GOOD RACING!!!!

Walt

You know those 6-cyl Chevys could sing! But my favorite match-up back when I was a kid at dirt tracks in Maine, Mass and Western NY was the battle between the Ford flathead V-8s and the mighty Hudson 6s. Two entirely different power plants, but most nights you never knew which would win...

Nick

Weight jack on the right front spring ?

Back in the day it was called adding "wedge." You literally insert a "wedge" between the spring and the axle housing at the left rear and/or between the spring and the right front axle or beam in the front. That increased the cross-weight percentage a bunch, although the term "cross weight" had no yet been invented...

Nick

Jamie the New Castle area Mt. Jackson to be exact. Used to go to Tri city and Mercer for the races. I remember one night I was in the pits and two sprint cars got together one went spinning nose down I could have walked right under it. I was probably 14 or 15 at the time.

Archived