Racing....the good, the bad, the ugly

rebelracewriter

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen, this is a big boys expensive hobby that happens to be a sport. We all love kids, but face it, drivers like them because they are the kids hero's. But the kids dont pay the bills. Turn these places into entertainment complexes where there are more grown adults throwing down and guzzling adult beverages. Get enough drunks out there and they will spend tons of money. Remember when Houston was doing good? Remember all of the people when they had the concerts at CTS? Get some baby sitters, bring on the booze and rock on man. Kids dont pay the bills. Play with them on Sunday when you are hungover.

sorry Toyota have to disagree with some points .... kids are racing future .kids will talk and talk bout going to the races and drive mom and dad crazy .maybe that did not work for you when you were young .but it sure worked in my family .my mom hated racing with all her heart .why .when she was 5 years old her dad ran a dirt track in sa back in the 40.s and she watched two drunk old man climb into a race car and died out on the track in a roll over ..but seeing we were driving her crazy week end and week out in the 60s .she took us . she never came to the track to watch any of her two sons race but got full reports from us ..we excepted her not coming .so if you want it to go back to bring on the booze party and drunk fools like it use to be you have the wrong idea and sport in mind .been there done that ..my point I was one of those kids at one time in my life the ones you think should not be catered too ....

Kids are our future in everything, none of us are going to be here forever. I am just saying that you can probably keep the track open if you have enough entertainment there to draw a crowd to buy booze. If you have to sell skittles to pay the bills at the race track, you probably will not make it. Times have changed, way more to do now than ever for hobbies and entertainment. In order to stay in the racing business, you need lots of cash that you can afford to burn. The ones who have kids to raise do not usually have a lot of expendable income. They need to pay for their kids iphone, ipads, go pro camera and college education. However, the party animals at the colleges have cash to burn and they will go to where the booze if flowing and the bartender shakes it well.

I'm sorry and Nick can edit me but that Toyotatim that has to be the most asinine and ridiculous statement I have read on this forum in awhile. I really hope that your response was a joke. HiTech hit the nail on the head with his statement. I am 36 years old and have been racing for 29 years and racing was probably the best thing that ever happened to my family. The ole line "a family that races together is a family that sticks together."

I dont understand what is asinine about the reality of the situation. Families cant race together without a race track. The race tracks need the revenue from alcohol sales to survive. Otherwise, we would see the Skittles 50 instead of the Budweiser 250. Nothing wrong with racing with your family, but there needs to be a track that is financially stable first. Did any of you happen to see the Crowds at CTS when they had the concert Series? I can assure you, they were not selling Skittles in those Daisy Duke shorts. Why dont families come out in masses like that to see racing? If they did, we would still have 5 strong pavement tracks in Texas. Now we have one. Thank goodness for the booze or they probably would not be there either.

post-34-0-16408200-1461450747_thumb.jpg

Ummmm, so Tim.....without young drivers coming up how do you expect tracks to survive, long term?....Just pick up some "dudes" off the street, put them in what....cardboard box racecars?.....and tracks will stay open how long?

I'll give you the point about the post race concerts, but they still have a band there on race night, just not on the big stage.

sorry reb and josh 42 I am not that great at all with posting pics .so can either one of you post the the dead horse pic .cuz it seems with this Toyotatim that hammer bat or what ever it is is needed ...if beer is all the tracks needs to make a profit then turn off the track lights and open a full time bar .hell may aswell throw in some go go dancers to boot ...racings future can not survive with out the family involvement period but I will give Toyota some credit once I figure out where it due ..now one would have to ask why isnt the track not having those concert series now ...may be they cost to much the band the over head in having enough beer and such plus the more drunks out on the road after the show..the combo of both concerts with racing is not profitable maybe .I don't have the answer ..

The part that amazes me is that things are still done the way they were years ago, no one thinks out of the box. I don't know the solution but what we have done is slowly kill the sport , wether its rule enforcement, tracks and drivers butting heads. It's sad really some series are left to run one track as a traveling series. I believe if tracks ran the same rules and enforced them equally, that things could grow, but racers fighting racers and tracks fighting tracks will be the meteor that kills the dinasour.

I gotta give Talms a big thumbs up Cody works hard to build that series and when things aren't as good as he thinks it should be he gets in there and makes it happen. I'm looking forward to running some races with them.

well being at cts last night they are doing something right .I don't know the count and I don't know what the profit is if any .but they have had some really good fan count just by the looks of it and its good every race we go too give or take a few . and no concerts ..the races kept right on plugging away with out much of a hitch and some great racing was seen ..those crazy dwarfs had an amazing kept you on your toes race ..side by side for most of the race and I never seen so many at once on any track didn't know where all those cars came from .the biggest wreck came towards the end I think the one that lost it piled a few up with him broke something that made him lose it ....I don't know what their purse is but keep that kinda racing going you will earn a larger purse deserved ...in my books and this is not a plug for that .just a fact they put on a great show ...

I know this takes time to do it .and I know it is a big part of cts success .that meet and greet is really really big and pays off ten fold .that is priceless ..there is no better advertisement than that ..haven't some of us mentioned the words before get the fans involved no beer no concerts .just race cars and drivers in person an amazing little word called interaction .THE track IS THE venue THE drivers are the STARS .....the little ones get excited and what this what this it brings the family back out .Joshua sold ivans car to a first timer and we had fun watching the new driver getting so excited and in a hurry trying to make it out on the track for meet and greet ,I finally said to him slow down the track isn't going anywhere lol.. then I walked up and took a look and I was shocked .cars trucks and fans lined up from turn one through turn four and just swarming with folks ..a wow factor big time .the new driver was very excited to know fans came over to see him and he didn't know anything much bout anything .but he and they enjoyed it ..so a little idea out of the box pays off and you no what ,it isn't something new ..that is how I got really hooked into racing ,those after the races meet and greets way back in the early 60.s when drivers took the time to talk to me and put a face with that car number ...bobby and everyone else it does not take something new all the time .just some plain old down to earth time with the fans face to face like what I see at those meet and greets at cts puts a smile on just one fans face is worth it, that personal touch .so ll give cts and grade A for doing every think it takes to make it fun for all ...I know on dirt tracks its a little harder being the track is muddy .but drivers in the stands around the food court will help ..

Meet and greets are big win. I think a lot of the Corpus Christi IceRays hockey teams success if because of the post game skates with the players after every home game. Your best salespeople are the racers themselves so any interaction with fans is a plus.

Must have been those three cheese burgers the wrap and dr peppers at cts .and the chop bbq on the way home at midnight that brought all that out ..for some reason yesterday I could not fill up on food .and being hot outside that was weird ..heck I even made it over to lalos pit and ate their bbq also ...first time I have ever gone to cts to race with a team car and not lay one hand on it maybe I was lost or that's a good sign ...outside of the heat I had a good time .but really racing at times has lost it way getting away from what it is really about . we ,I have gotten caught up in so much of our own bs we forget that our sport is not just a sport but a show . just think bout that you have a bad night but turn off that attitude when a fan wants to talk to you and may not be your fan till that moment and at that time you realize they exist .this is why we do it really ..we are showmen ..tracks have it hard and we make it harder on them when they try to do the right thing to make it fun or fair for all racers and that is a very large job and most fail cuz of our own selfishness ..tracks need their stars to shine and we the stars need to realize our star is the track it works both ways .so it is our job as racers to work with the track and do all we can to help make it a success .and until we believe that racing will struggle and I am guilty by far and being part of the problem ..damn here I go again ..

Toyotstim has a valid point. Make the race night a party where a race breaks out and you have a product that can generate income. He might be a little too relying on booze but the idea is spot on. So many people look at NASCAR as boring but guess what......its the same thing for a spectator who does not know anybody in the race. Not a problem for monster trucks because each truck is a personality.

Like WWE, racing needs storylines, identifiable characters, and good guys V/S bad guys along with the adult beverages and Dasey Dukes plus music to make it a night out. Few people with disposable income want to spend Saturday night at a day care center. Everything has a place. People go where people are having fun.

CTS did have a live band there in the Car Bar and it was rocking and rolling. The revenue from that the Car Bar is vital to the success of the speedway no matter how you spin it. Take away that revenue stream and the kids would not even have a playground.

I remember when they used to fight in the infield during the race, rolling down the turns fighting and when the pits were at the end of the stands the rush to get down there when fans thought there would be a fight! Maybe a Bowman-Gray approach is whats needed! (Sarc)

me too arob .it got the point something had to change after the news channels here in cc started pointing that issue out to the public and stands were starting to look a little bit empty the track had to change that with no booze in the pits and folks being bared so the families could come back ..we have said it before a race would break out every once in a while ..and you just knew what was going to happen in a wreck fact no wreck had to sometimes .all it took was someone mouthing off and away we go ..glad it is tame today ..

I was in the pit one night when something broke out.I happened to look up at the end off the stands and people where three deep and the middle of the stand wall had to be bulging a good foot or two. It was a miracle it never fell in but was really reinforced!Sign of the times though. Back then it was with fists . Now when it does happen its with floor jack handles and whatever else you can pick up. There should NEVER be booze in the pits really.

I'll give you the point about the post race concerts, but they still have a band there on race night, just not on the big stage.

Reb,

I was at almost every race at CTS when they used the big stage afterwards and the truth is....75% of the raceteams were gone when the band fired up. The only exceptions were the ones getting awards. The same teams that get on speedzone and jump on a soap box crying support your local track but were the first to high tail it out the gate. There were very few of us who stayed, I did because i lived real close at the time so it wasnt a big deal. Only a few big name stars actually filled the parking lot.

Ill have to go back and read the whole thread but i can tell you that money isnt the reason for the decline. And more beer sales as this tim guy seems to thrive on wont do anything to revive this problem.

CTS did have a live band there in the Car Bar and it was rocking and rolling. The revenue from that the Car Bar is vital to the success of the speedway no matter how you spin it. Take away that revenue stream and the kids would not even have a playground.

All the different revenue streams help keep the track open but even with the big crowds and large car counts CTS wouldn't be profitable without the other events they have out there between Races.

Exactly! Strategic diversity helps insulate companies (tracks) from the risk of total financial loss because the weekend racing venue is not profitable alone. Markets will ultimately have gains and losses and if a company puts all of their resources into one basket they are putting themselves at more risk of financial loss. If you take note most of the successful tracks are really nothing more than event centers with a race track on the property. We as racers should take advantage of such locations for our other extreme sport/automobile hobbies. For example the diesel crowd makes an annual pilgrimage to the Schied Extravaganza. Those that have attended know how big this event is and what economic impact it has for the diesel community. These "events" should be something our local tracks should invite to their locations. Also tracks should market themselves to handle the area festivals. These are all examples of diversifying a tracks business model to make them more competitive and profitable.

Archived