South Texas Nationals / Texas Coastal Championship

First we want to thank everyone for being patient while we work out dates and details for the Sames Ford South Texas Nationals. Also special thanks to all of our sponsors as well. The Rescheduled South Texas Nationals will be held Labor Day weekend Sept. 2, 3 and 4 at South Texas Speedway. We are equally excited to have put together the East Texas Getcha$ome to be held November 4, 5 and 6th at Battleground Speedway in Houston. The benefit of being registered and racing in the South Texas Nationals is you will get a free entry fee into the Nov. 4, 5 and 6 East Texas Getcha$ome to be held at Battleground Speedway. Yes, "FREE Entry" to a very large paying event! We will take results from both races and crown a Texas Coastal Champion in our 4 common classes. Pure Stocks, Street Stocks, Mod Lites & Limited Modifieds will be running not only for two large purses but also for the 2016 Texas Coastal Championship in each class. Over the next weeks to come alot of details regarding events will be announced. We will honor STP armbands / registrations from our previous rained out STP events. Also for pure stocks and street stocks we will gather info. during the first half of this season and from the previous raced South Texas Shootout to determine if any rules need adjusting prior to the events. Our ideas and your input will be to create the most possible playing field for full participation and to continue growth in both classes. Again thanks and look forward to both big events.

post-15562-0-52261600-1459959045_thumb.jpg

post-15562-0-03322700-1459959072_thumb.jpg

Please Note: September 2, 3 & 4 South Texas Nationals will be running Limited Late Models instead of Sprints. The Southern United Sprints have been moved to the November 4, 5 & 6 East Texas Getcha$ome. So her ya go Limited Late Model guys opportunity is knocking...

Battleground runs NESMITH rules for STREET STOCK. Those rules are drastically different than existing STP street stock rules. This will be a very difficult challenge to "meld" these two rule sets into one "fair" rule set.

Most notably, Nesmith allows Brinn & Bert lightweight racing transmissions, and doesn't even require a true clutch. STP mandates 10.5 steel clutch (no aluminum parts) and only specific factory style transmissions/gear sets. How do you equalize that, especially without the STP guys spending big money?!?! Massive weight penalty for racing trans?

In short, these two rules are on polar opposite sides...literally. Nesmith can run ANY lightweight component they want, STP cannot run any lightweight components.

Ironically, over the last few years STP has progressively banned light weight clutch parts: first mini-clutches, then ANY aluminum clutch parts. Now you are going to a track where ALL those items are legal. Hell, there are Brinn or Bert options which don't even use a clutch. Furthermore, these transmission can be assembled to have very close ratios, allowing for flexibility of running 2 different "high gears" depending on track conditions...during the race.

Anyway, I hope you poll a lot of people. This will be a tough nut to crack.

Thanks guys we are aware of the rules for each class at all the tracks. Like Supertune said rules were all the same last year for 5 south tx tracks but still change came about, very unfortunate. So I will work to figure out if we can find middle ground to make for the best possible racing with the most participation. We dont want to scrap the street stock idea of having them on the card. So with that being said lets work together and keep it positive so we can see for ourselves who is really the fastest on the track. Also the biggest help anyone can provide is to knock the dust off your car and go support your local track. No better way to help racing in your area.

9Star,

You are right about those guys being quick. That is why I would like to see us get on that package sooner than later in order to even be close to competitive with those guys. It would be like bear hunting with a switch as it right now. I really would like to run over there if we could get on some rules quick enough to feel like we were prepared. The guys down here are quick in their own right as well, just a big gap between those cars and ours at present. It would be hard to justify spending a the money on parts to get competitive to go do one show if the rules in South Texas weren't moving in that direction for next year and the future. Be interesting to see the ideas on how to bridge the gap.

Constantly changing rules packages do more to hurt local racing then even poor payouts. Theres always somebody wanting more thinking they will result in better finishing positions. The big looser is those that put everything into their program already and then its not enough. These are the ones that try the hardest but reap the least reward. Not just about the SS, but EVERY class. The end result is a shrinking field of entries when too many are discouraged. What makes it worse recently is amazingly how many promoters and racers are worried about what another track is doing, the fact being all tracks need to focus on their own neighborhood if they want a reliable show. To reflect just look at modifieds. They began as an alternative to expensive late models for the average working man and reaped huge success. But every year they added more like coil over suspensions and quick change differentials etc. and now they ARE late models without fenders. Not near as popular as in the 90s and early 2000s.

That being said, common rules are a failed dream afforded only to big sanctioning bodies like IMCA. Local independent tracks need to define entries to reflect what the local racers have in common, not what the track across town or country does. As for big shows, they are SPEC IAL events and should not be very restrictive in definition. Even if allowed upgrades it will not change the outcome as those already using upgrades already have the needed experience. So what to do?

I have been involved in many big shows that hosted open comp races that saw champions from various states compete. I found the best approach was to show up the best I have ever been doing what I regularly do with what I already have and let luck and skill l do the rest. Then go home and concentrate on my local program. I went from not qualifying to finishing second with a car very much at a disadvantage with upgrades.

Bottom line, to everyone, don't price yourselves out of existences. Just do your best with what you have least you end up racing by yourself. JMO.

While I respect the opinions on this site and appreciate the well thought out posts. I do differ in my opinion.

I have been around circle track racing (and other forms of motorsport) my entire life. By choice, I have never been associated with a team that raced for "fun". We always worked hard and with one goal...winning. First and foremost, we tried to out-study, out-think, out-work, and out-prepare our competition. This recipe has been successful over the years. Racing has always been a serious venture, and the fun and celebration was a byproduct of the success enjoyed on the track.

If everyone is supposed to race for "fun", why would there be anyone wanting rule changes. No one would care who wins. The promoters and racers would just be happy to be racing. Obviously the "fun factor" isn't enough for everyone to be happy.

In today's racing world, you don't have to "study" and "think" as much as you used to. Almost anybody with a pocket book can buy top notch equipment and go fast out of the box. So, the days of luck and skill winning a race in inferior equipment are VERY rare.

Common rules are NOT a failed dream. What IS a failed dream is very small group thinking they have the wisdom to write their own rules from scratch. There is NOTHING that states a track, or group of tracks, cannot "adopt" time proven rules from a sanctioning body like IMCA, or NESMITH. You don't have to become sanctioned, just use the proven rule packages! As stated above, the IMCA rules have been around for 25+ years...why reinvent the wheel.

In my experience, there was always one reason tracks wrote their own rules...to protect their guys from "outsiders" coming in and making their guys look bad. Today it is a reality that tracks are closing at an alarming rate. Now, you almost have to rely on outsiders to support your racing. As well, the "outsiders" are eager to travel to tracks which offer similar rules, especially for special shows. The easiest way to do this is to use rules very similar national sanctioning bodies.

People that race have disposable income, it is hobby. If the class you are in is too expensive for your taste, move to a class that is less expensive. What pushes people away is a constantly changing rule package, and having to replace perfectly good parts simply due to a rule change. One fact will always remain. RULE CHANGES DO NOT MAKE SLOW CARS FAST or FAST CARS SLOW! The guys that are fast will always be fast, the guys that struggle will always struggle. I don't think rules price racers out of existence, the sport evolves with the current technology available. It is cheaper to buy a "race bread" part ONCE, than buy a clutch 2 or 3 times due to constantly changing rules or failing parts. Typically the racing part performs better, last longer, and is rebuildable...ultimately making for a cheaper investment that is with you for years to come.

Lastly, if you find yourself consistently a "back marker" and ultimately the class you are racing in is no longer "fun". Do more research, read some chassis books, take some driving classes, talk to racers who are having success...ultimately if that doesn't work, consider moving to a different class and trying your luck there.

I think people spend way too much money on racing to do it purely for fun, competition and the desire to win always cast a very serious tone to the sport.

My $.02

Thank you guys for your input and your support. I think the one thing we all can agree on is most racers if not all have a great deal of passion for the sport. Sometimes that passion can cause us to cross the line and get caught up in a bunch of details that on paper look like something. However we don't race on paper its always done on the track. This is what we will try to achieve so we can continue pushing the street stock class as a premier class for the upcoming Nationals and more races in the future.

Slidejob, I agree with almost everything except one point. To rely on other tracks cars to fill fields has never worked to the point they can ignore what their own neighborhood racers need. To build a set of local rules biased on another part of the country is a dangerous venue. Example....lets say the average mechanic makes $800 per week in Corpus but $1500 a week in Housten. Add the Valley guys that are happy to earn $500 a week. While this is no concern to the well endowed guys it is a concern for the average guy and there the ones that finish filling the pits after the huge haulers are parked. Its true to not spend what you don't have but the street stock was not intended to replace late models. So can the average joe from the Valley or Corpus match the spending of Houston guys? No. So if the Corpus track tried to match the cars from Houston they will loose cars, purses would drop and not enough Houston cars will travel to Corpus. So Corpus needs local rules to reflect Corpus racers. And indeed the well endowed should move to the big sanctioned series like USMTS or Nesmith.

At RGS there was a great Hobby class that was similar to the current Street Stocks. But the promoter at the time thought is was a good idea to use the obsolete modifieds (every year last years car was obsolete by racing evolution) to become Hobies. Of course even a crappy modified was superior to an original chassis car no matter how much weight they jacked with so there was a civil war and the class ultimately died.

My point is don't redefine the class you have if its working just because the grass looks greener elsewhere. If you do it becomes something else. Farther north the full modifieds and late models are at almost every track in numbers but not here. If Street Stocks become too expensive people will quit. Its not worth killing Corpus car just for an occasional big show.

Now this is where everyone can quit reading. You say theres no racing for those who want to use knowledge rather than your local speed shop to race and go fast.But there is, there called Sport Compacts.Theres not much you can buy but there is tons of ways to improve performance. I read what the guys up north are doing and they are screaming at the tracks that don't tie their hands. Many are faster than their local Street Stocks. Ultimately they will be the feature classes everywhere because the supply of metric Chevys is dwindling.

So heres what I advise all promoters.....build your classes around you own neighborhood and don't worry about other tracks. Work with them but not at the expense of you own neighborhood families.What I have seen in 40+ years is its the same families at the local track year after year.Listen to them first. They are after all the actual product your selling. JMO.

Ok before people who read this start believing the streets stock rules are climbing out of control let's clear this up real quick. This years rules are the same rules as 2015 but restricting max rear weight to 51%. Everyone knows why we did this and it certainly didn't introduce costs into the picture. In early 2015 we did away with the mini clutches and aluminum parts in the assy. In years previous we were bring 5 tracks together all w different rules and uniting them together like it or not this was accomplished. So no new expenses have been introduced to this class regarding rules. If your spending more its because you deciding to do so over what you have in the past. This past weekend had several cars many years old running up front and winning. The 41, 13s, 34, 36f, 7 all cars that could have won this past week and all several years old none of them are under 3 years old. Several other cars are older Cars converted to street stocks or converted from pure stocks. My point is the perception of the class rules changing over the past year or two and the reality is people either now longer have the budget to race and its parked, are pissed off at their track for personal reasons or finding some other excuse not to race, ie rule changes. Rules changes have been very minimal over the previous couple years. So all I can say is the opportunity is there to race if not go help someone and stop with the excuses.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the reply. I have another question.

Is the Nationals race in September still a go and mini stocks still on the card? Most importantly to us is who is going to be allowed to race with us? Right now the compacts/minnies at STS are being review to see what type of car will be the class choice for 2017 so we are kind of bringing any car wanting to race into the show. Is that going to also be the formula for the Sept race? We really don't have many places to draw from. Its not too early to begin the invitation process.

G.B.Carter, mini compact # 77.

Hey G.B. Yes race is on and mini stocks are on the card.I feel like you do. We dont want to turn drivers away in this class. So we will ask that the mini stock drivers stay with their track rules they are currently using. We hope this is the best option for the mini stocks.

Archived