STREET STOCK WHEEL/TIRE RULE

WATERBOY

Hello Racers,

I have received multiple phone calls in regards to our wheel/tire rule for Street Stocks.

Apparently there are multiple sets of Street Stock Rules in circulation and verbal agreements on which tires will be allowed.

Please visit our website at stxspeedwayracing.com to view our 2016 Street Stock Rules.

#13. Wheels/Tires - 8 inch steel wheels any offset. (1) RR bead lock only. No aluminum wheels. Tires to choose from are 8 inch Hoosier G60, American Racer KK704 and 15KK704. Tires may be sanded, sipped or grooved. No soaking or softening of tires allowed. Wheel spacers allowed.

SAFE TRAVELS - SEE YA SATURDAY NIGHT!

This deal has got ridiculous. In the off season, it was said that South Texas Speedway and Goliad would run common SS rules and they would be 2016 Shootout rules which is a suspended series now. That lasted all of a month before we start hearing of rules changes again. I

In preparation for the Raines out STP race, I bought 8" Dirt Boss tires after asking on this forum if they were legal: answer was yes. That was changed prior to and I lost my tail on those tires. I the. Bought H 500's based on the new "tentative guidelines or rules as you will only to now find out they are only going to be legal at an STP show that we still don't know status or what rules may change again. I also bought a steel clutch cover to make a previous legal legal to new rules, which is lighter than the aluminum version I replaced. I have spent $1500 on rule changes chasing to comply to the ongoing rule changes only to find out that I would need another set of tires to go run Goliad and Corpus now.

Do you not see why this class is on life support?

Goliad had 24 cars last weekend with competitive racing. What is wrong with that model to share cars and leave the rules alone to stop this unnecessary spending.

This class needs a national set of rules worse than any I have ever seen to prevent this problem.

See you when l can afford another set of tires unless the rules change again. Please address and correct this ongoing mess.

Mike Trigg

Mike,

i apologize to you. I am sorry that we have different rules. Originally we were going to follow and allow the 10"tires (Dirt Boss) However. We called almost every driver registered at STS and STP and 90% voted to keep the rear percentage rule and eliminate the 10" tires. We listened to you the drivers and made this change in January, You the drivers said you felt it was more fair and cheaper with out the 10" tires and H500.

We at STS are always striving to listen and adapt. I am sorry this has cost you or anyone money. This was not our intention.

Ken Hobbs

As Ken well knows, one of the dangers of listening to drivers and team owners is what we are seeing in this thread. Mr. Trigg expressed his concern politely and professionally and the track responded appropriately. This is the way racing forums should be utilized.

So, while there are probably others who want to express their disappointment here, the point has been made and there is no need for others to plead their case here.

Thanks for everyone's understanding as we try to keep the forum areas a positive as possible.

Nick

Ken,

Thank you for replying. I ran the STP EVENT IN December that was rain shortened. I did not race the Shootout Series last year. I was never contacted about rules regarding this class and never have been. As Bick pointed out, asking racers about rules is a good way to have turmoil.

With all of the successful sanctioning bodies that have a national set of rules, why would you want to put yourself in this situation? There has to be some consistency and we don't have that at present. You don't have to sanction but you can pick a set of rules and stick to them without all these changes that no one is aware of until money is spent.

This is a great class with some good racers that is falling apart unnecessarily. I don't want to see that happen but I am tired of changes and spending money on ridiculous rules.

Someone has just pointed out to me that a mistake was made in the Posting of the Street stock tire rules. The tire rule shall read

# 13. Wheels / Tires – 8” steel wheels any offset. (1) RR bead lock only. No aluminum
wheels. Tires to choose from will be 8 inch (8" Asphalt take off,Hoosier g60, American Racer KK704, 15KK704).
Tires may be sanded, sipped, or grooved. No soaking or softening of tires allowed. Wheel
spacers are allowed.

If this becomes a issue I will reserve the right to make the first race a non points night so that our mistake will not affect the championship.

I apologize for this mistake. I hate to have changes and misrepresent something. this was not done on purpose.,

My apologies.

Ken Hobbs

I'm fine with last year or year before too. I am not fine with constant changes when the racing was good,. I only recommended national rules so they are not changed continually. I do want rules that allow cars from all area tracks to compete without making changes. Right now we are very limited on what tracks we can race these cars at due to these "unique" rules. It is not fun for racers or fans to see 10 car feature races. We are dying on the vine with very few new people wanting get involved and that by definition is not success. I guess they will make great enduro cars if this deal is not corrected.

Sts is running last years shootout rules including tires. Our only change is the addition of the rear percentage rule that is all. There was consideration and discussions about tire options for sts. I was asked to contact as many local sts drivers for opinions. This was done early this year oprox.25 drivers contacted all were local sts drivers. Two questions was asked. First was if they liked the rear percentage rule? Everyone voted yes including the two converted limiteds. Last questions was do you want 10 inch wheels introduced to the class. 23 of the 25 said no. The other two driver s didn't care. We know not every single driver was contacted but with the information and phone numbers I had we contacted as many as we could and with the obvious pattern the answers were going we felt good with passing along the information to the decision makers.

So now you are telling me that I bought a steel clutch cover to conform to new rules that was not necessary, This just gets better and better.

I guess I don't understand how these decisions are come to or communicated. I look to LSSZ as I don't do the Facebook deal. Where has all the information been put forth for racers to see before we spend our money needlessly? I hear rumors from other racers long before we ever see printed information. I don't know many racers that have an endless budget and it would help to know of changes in a timely manner or at least a warning to wait on purchases as a rule is being amended.

When I asked what rules had been changed since the March STP race prior to December STP race, you told me only the rear % rule. I am sure glad that the race rained out before I learned of this new clutch rule in tech afterwards. Where was this displayed for public knowledge?

A little communication goes a long way and prevents the useless spending.

Sts is running last years shootout rules including tires. Our only change is the addition of the rear percentage rule that is all. There was consideration and discussions about tire options for sts. I was asked to contact as many local sts drivers for opinions. This was done early this year oprox.25 drivers contacted all were local sts drivers. Two questions was asked. First was if they liked the rear percentage rule? Everyone voted yes including the two converted limiteds. Last questions was do you want 10 inch wheels introduced to the class. 23 of the 25 said no. The other two driver s didn't care. We know not every single driver was contacted but with the information and phone numbers I had we contacted as many as we could and with the obvious pattern the answers were going we felt good with passing along the information to the decision makers.

Just a whimsical question, if you only asked about 10 inch wheels, why are the H500 and Dirt Bosz tires being eliminated? Both those tires can be run on an 8 inch wheel.

Archived