Zeigler Zips to victory Lane at East Bay LOLMDS Winternationals finale

NickHolt

Zeigler Zips to Victory Lane at East Bay Finale

TAMPA, FL (February 13, 2016) - Mason Zeigler pulled a major upset by winning the finale of the 40th Annual Winternationals on Saturday Night at East Bay Raceway Park. Zeigler passed race leader Scott Bloomquist on lap 23 and held off the Hall-of-Fame driver to capture the biggest win of his career in the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series sanctioned event.

post-3-0-33139200-1455426975_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of LOLMDS PR

A packed grandstand stood on its collective feet as Bloomquist charged to the inside of Zeigler on the final lap, but his charge fell one car length short as the 23-year-old Pennsylvania driver crossed the line first.

Bloomquist finished second, followed by 10th starting Dennis Erb Jr., Gregg Satterlee, and Darrell Lanigan.

"I just worked my tires so hard to get to the lead," said Zeigler, who started fourth on the grid. "I didn't think my right rear would survive the whole race, so I focused on slowing down once I got by him [bloomquist].

Zeigler held a steady pace over the field as Bloomquist and several other drivers were running two and three wide behind the leader for the first half of the 60 lap event.

"This week, we have been up at 7 am to work on the car every day. We let JD [Jonathan Davenport] drive the car one night this week just to see what was wrong. They found some things in the brakes and other parts of the car that needed addressed and they helped get us straightened out. I would like to thank Kevin Rumley and Longhorn Chassis for such a spectacular ride."

"We have put a new front fender on the car each race this week. We have thrashed and thrashed all week to get to here [in victory lane]. To get the biggest win of my career in front of a live broadcast audience and for TV is just great. This is a dream come true!"

Zeigler's Longhorn Chassis is powered by a Pro Power Engine and sponsored by Ohio Pyle Vacation Rentals, Gotta Race, and Old Mill Farms.

Bloomquist complemented the young driver on his victory. "He [Zeigler] drove a very good race. I didn't see him until he got alongside me on the outside and he just drove off from there. We were in rush mode all night long. We found a cracked transmission and I was working with the shocks and trying to decide what right rear to put on, it was pretty crazy."

"We started off pretty well. The car fired better than I thought it would. I tried to keep pace with him [Zeigler] and while doing that, also trying not to hurt the tires. We closed in on him in the last few laps and he left the door open just enough that I was able to get to his driver's door, but couldn't get any further. My hat's off to him!"

Erb snuck by Satterlee at the end to get third. "It was our best run of the week, no doubt. We hadn't seen those track conditions all week. My car was good the entire race. There was two and three wide racing for a long time tonight. I'd like to give special thanks to McBride Mack, M&S Concrete, Cheap Cars, and J.R. McBride Leasing."

Completing the top ten were Jimmy Owens, Tim McCreadie, Brandon Sheppard, Don O'Neal, and Randy Weaver.

In preliminary action, Jonathan Davenport set the overall Miller Welders Fast Time (Group B) amongst the 35 entrants, with a lap of 15.012 seconds. Scott Bloomquist set the fastest time in Group A with a time of 15.152 seconds. Scott Bloomquist, Tim McCreadie, Jonathan Davenport, and Mason Zeigler won their respective heat races. Tim Dohm and Kyle Bronson won their respective B-Mains. Chad Hollenbeck, David Breazeale, and Nick Davis earned the Miller Welders Fast Time Provisionals. James Rice won the DirtOnDirt.com Strawberry Dash.

For the latest breaking news on the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, including the latest series standings, 2016 tour schedule, driver information, and more visit the official website at: www.lucasdirt.com.

Race Summary

Saturday, February 13th, 2016 - 40th Annual East Bay Winternationals - East Bay Raceway Park - Tampa, FL

Miller Welders Fast Time Group A: Scott Bloomquist / 15.152 seconds
Miller Welders Fast Time Group B: Jonathan Davenport / 15.012 seconds

Eibach Springs Heat Race #1 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Scott Bloomquist, Brandon Sheppard, Jared Landers, Darrell Lanigan, Tim Dohm, Bobby Pierce, Colton Flinner, Jimmy Owens, Devin Moran-DNS

FK Rod Ends Heat Race #2 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Tim McCreadie, Gregg Satterlee, Ricky Weiss, Josh Rice, David Breazeale, James Rice, Nick Davis, Chad Hollenbeck

Simpson Performance Products Heat Race #3 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Jonathan Davenport, Randy Weaver, Dennis Erb, Jr., Earl Pearson, Jr., Kyle Bronson, Steve Francis, Mark Whitener, Bob Gardner, Sonny Conley

QA1 Heat Race #4 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Mason Zeigler, Don O'Neal, Freddie Carpenter, Justin Rattliff, Eddie Carrier, Jr., Alex Ferree, John Gardner, Chuck Julien, Allen Murray

Fast Shafts B-Main #1 Finish (12 Laps, Top 3 Transfer): Tim Dohm , Bobby Pierce, Jimmy Owens, Devin Moran, Nick Davis, David Breazeale, James Rice, Colton Flinner, Chad Hollenbeck-DNS

Keyser MFG B-Main #2 Finish (12 Laps, Top 3 Transfer): Kyle Bronson, Eddie Carrier, Jr., Steve Francis, Alex Ferree, Mark Whitener, John Gardner, Bob Gardner, Sonny Conley, Chuck Julien

DirtOnDirt.com Strawberry Dash Finish (Winner Transfers): James Rice, Sonny Conley, Bob Gardner, Devin Moran, Mark Whitener, Alex Ferree, Colton Flinner, John Gardner

Feature Finish (60 Laps):

post-3-0-79360700-1455427109_thumb.jpg

Race Statistics:
Entrants: 35
Lap Leaders: Scott Bloomquist (Laps 1 - 22); Mason Zeigler (Laps 23 - 60)
Cautions: David Breazeale (Lap 18); Jonathan Davenport (Lap 21); Jared Landers (Lap 28)
Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Provisionals: n/a
Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Emergency Provisionals: n/a
Miller Welders Fast Time Provisionals: Chad Hollenbeck, David Breazeale. Nick Davis
East Bay Raceway Park Track Provisional: n/a
Wrisco Feature Winner: Mason Zeigler
Optima Batteries Hard Charger of the Race: Jimmy Owens (Started: 21th; Finished: 6th; Advanced 15 Positions)
Midwest Sheet Metal Spoiler Challenge Point Leader: Jonathan Davenport
Allstar Performance Power Move of the Race: Dennis Erb Jr.
Sunoco Race for Gas Highest Finisher: Darrell Lanigan
Hot Rod Processing Rookie of the Race: n/a
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Race: Pro Power Racing Engines
Ohlins Shocks Chassis Builder of the Race: Longhorn Chassis
Outerwears Crew Chief of the Race: James Buckley (Mason Zeigler)
Fastest Lap of the Race: Tim McCreadie (Lap #51 - 16.5645 seconds)
Most Laps Led: Mason Zeigler (38 Laps)
PFC Brakes Tough Break Award: Jonathan Davenport
Time of Race: 25 minutes 27 seconds

Lucas Oil Championship Point Standings:

post-3-0-18541700-1455427212_thumb.jpg

*Points are unofficial until Close of Business on the Tuesday following Race Day*

Archived