E-Mod Tires

tr13

I have a question about the tire rule. I read the rules and it say southwest speed or asphalt pulloffs. My question, is grooving of the tires going to be allowed? The rule doesn't specify and I saw cars last year that had grooved the southwest speed tires.

I have owned a car in this class since the inception, & do not ever remember any rule stating that the grooving of tires was illegal. If someone out there has a copy of earlier rules that shows that is was, please post.

Personally I think the asphalt pull offs there are going to be more trouble than the benefit you might gain. Here are a couple of things to consider.

1. There are 3 sizes we can run, 26.0, 26.5, & 27.0. Depending on what you end up with this is going to affect the roll out they have over the Southwest Speed tire.

2. For those of us currently running in this class we most likely have your gearing setup to what produces the most speed with regards to the chip. So if you go to the pull offs you will most likely need to change the rear gear.

3. If we are not allowed to groove the tires the car will not do well in the heats un-grooved so are we going to have two sets of tires, 1 for the heat & 1 for the feature?

4. I have not found these tires just laying around, so I believe just getting them is going to be an issue. Not saying they are not available period, other states still have plenty of asphalt tracks but do you want to add to the expense of the tire with the additional cost of freight.

As I understand it the idea behind using pull offs was to reduce the cost. I have been weighing all of this & I think we will just stay with the Southwest Speed tire, know where to get them & how long they last. Well as long as we are competitive with others on pull offs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived