Another nail in the Cup coffin? A new era in NA$CAR-land coming

NickHolt

According to several reliable news sources, Brain France will announce a "Charter System" for NASCAR Cup teams in a news conference set for Tuesday morning, February 9. France, along with "key players" and team owners from the NASCAR corporate world, reportedly will announce the formation of a charter system that would help "secure" team owners financial status in the top echelon of the sport.

Supposedly, NASCAR will have 36 (or so) Cup "charter teams" which will guarantee those charter teams a starting spot in every race, with only four slots up for grabs for "non-charter" teams. I guess the starting field will drop to 40 rather than 43 if that's the way it will work.

Of course, the 36 team owners will love it since it guarantees their sponsors and potential sponsors that their team will start in every Cup race. And, as I understand it, a team can sell their "charter" if they need to get out of the sport for any reason. Kind of a guarantee on their investment since a charter would likely be worth a bunch of money - sort of like a franchise.

I can only imagine Big Bill France turning over in his grave as his grandson continues down the money-first road. And a bunch of us old-time fans who remember the good old days glued to the TV Sunday afternoons will find something else to do - like maybe spend the afternoon watching grass grow or paint dry which would be much more entertaining than watching a phony sport with a bunch of PR-oriented drivers.

Gone are the days when Smokey, Richard, Cale, Bobby, Neil, and even Lovell, Schzech, Beirschwale and JD Hughes could work their tails off, tow to a cup race in in open trailer with the corner gas station as the only sponsor, and qualify for a Winston Cup race.

I didn't watch a single Cup race all season and I sure won't next season either. How in the world can a guy miss several races and still be the Cup champion? I know, I know. It's the way the rules are written, but if I were writing them, they'd sure be looking a whole lot like they looked in 1965.

Nick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it going downhill when we started seeing the Pepsi 400 instead of the Firecracker and why in the world were they ever allowed to call the Darlington race anything other than the Southern 500. I also remember multiple car models instead of the 3 templates. Maybe I'll go back to watching Indy cars on Sunday.

For those who are wondering why I have posted such a negative thread:

1) If it's a Texas-based, grass-roots racing deal, be it a track, a series, a driver or official, it's protected, and I will remove, hide or edit those posts that are too negative or that are bashes, cussing, etc.

2) If it's at the international or top professional level, it's fair game for negative or positive critique, as long as it's civil. That includes F1 and the top NASCAR classes

As always, profanity and overly aggressive language is also not permitted, no matter what the topic of the thread;

If you disagree with the way the forums are handled, feel free to contact me in private rather than calling me out in the forums. I am easy to find and I do listen to and respond to all who contact me as long as the communications are civil.

Nick

I will watch the races if I'm in front of the TV but if I have anything and I mean anything like mowing the grass. I'll do that first. Will I support sponsors just because of NASCAR no way there sponsorship means nothing with th way NASCAR as decided to go. I will be racing or watching at the local track every chance I get.

Dammit Nick.....I guess hanging out with me the past year at CTS that my attitude has rubbed off on you.....LMAO

This shit Baby Brian is coming up with is hopefully the end of his "vision".....and along will come someone with more sense than money and rebuild the sport back to its roots....

The one problem with the "support your local track" idea is that no tracks south, of say, Nebraska or west of Alabama, run on Sundays, in the afternoon.....So we're stuck like Chuck(sorry Chuckster) with the WWE on wheels crap that the bonehead throws at us, or watch figure skating.....Although FS1/2 have promised us several LIVE NHRA shows in the coming season, so there is that....

Me, I'll muddle through and voice my displeasure every chance I get....You'd think that someone might finally listen.....But since my opinion carries no $,$$$,$$$ with it.....I seriously doubt it!!!!!!

I do, however, wonder just how much the current teams will have pay the 'circus' to be an act(franchise fee) and what the eventual ROI will be when they have to sell it?

Y'all knew I was coming with this.....hope I didn't disappoint anyone.....lmao

HOW I miss the days of going to work and everyone even some who are not full time fans just talking away bout sundays nascar race . over the last couple of years its a mention at least and for three years I haven't seen a full season of nascar races combined ...last nascar race for us was 2002 .and no future plans to attend even one for that fact .heck we don't get on here and go at it anymore .old news now . shoot i bet my wife loves it now that we may go somewhere on sunday or Saturday night now seeing i don't race to the tv to watch like i use to .we don't worry bout recording the race nearly as much anymore either ..i watch some of the big races and that is even fading ...and the dipsticks in nascar have color of green covering their eyes blinding them from seeing the true race fans are not sitting in the stands anymore ..

This looks interesting. Someone trying to put Rockingham Speedway to good use with a start-up racing series. I don't see it as a threat to the NASCAR juggernaut, but it's something.

http://yourdailyjournal.com/top-stories/20663/rockingham-speedway-plans-accelerating

While it may not be a threat, it is something and depending on the cars and rules it could be something big.

In a way, I almost wish there was an Indy/IRL type split to give the powers to be a swuft kick in the n*ts!

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/02/09/nascar-announces-charter-system-for-sprint-cup-team-owners/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

CHARLOTTE – Breaking more than 65 years of tradition, NASCAR announced a charter system Tuesday for car owners that will guarantee teams spots in races, give owners a greater voice in the sport and refine the financial aspects of the sport.

“Where we ended up is a good place,” NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said in announcing the charter system during a press conference Tuesday at the Charlotte Convention Center.

“It’s going to create more opportunities for new owners to come into the sport. It’s going to have the ability to field more competitive race teams. That’s great for our fans.”

Said Rob Kauffman, chairman of the Race Team Alliance and co-owner of Chip Ganassi Racing: “This is just really a foundation. This is the first step in a process. We have put the teams on more stable footing. This allows teams to invest in the future.”

Kauffman estimated that a charter would be worth “single-digit millions” in dollars.

Among the details:

— Charters will be granted to 36 Sprint Cup teams. A charter guarantees a team a spot in every points race.

— The agreement is for nine years (five years and a four-year option). Teams remain a part of the agreement as long as they are in “good standing.”

— Sprint Cup fields will be reduced to 40 cars, eliminating three starting spots. Teams without charters can compete for the remaining spots in the field. Average car counts per race have not been more than 45 since 2012 after being as high as 50 in 2007.

— A Team Owner Council will be created and have formal input into major decisions, such as rules. Each chartered team will represented. The council is expected to be involved in how the sport is governed. NASCAR will still oversee the sport. This makes the communication process more formal.

— NASCAR states this agreement “promotes a more predictable, sustainable and valuable team business mode.’’

— Teams will be allowed a maximum four charters.

— There are provisions in place for NASCAR to approve of new owners coming in a purchasing a charter.

Another article with a few more details.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/2/9/nascar-announces-new-ownership-structure-charter.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR Chairman & CEO Brian France announced a milestone long-term agreement Tuesday, unveiling a Charter system that is expected to substantially increase team value and sustainability for owners competing in NASCAR's premier series.

"Today represents a landmark change to the business model of team ownership in NASCAR," France said. "The Charter agreements provide nine years of stability for NASCAR and the teams to focus on the growth initiatives together with our track partners, auto manufacturers, drivers and sponsors."

Thirty-six teams have been granted Charters and are guaranteed entry into each of the 36 points events. Standards for obtaining a Charter were based on participation during the past three seasons (from 2013 through July of '15).

Four additional positions in the field each week will be determined through normal qualifying procedures as outlined in the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rule Book.

As a result of the changes, fields for Sprint Cup races will now consist of 40 cars.

The Charter system, a form of which owners have sought in an effort to bolster value of their organizations and which was initiated by NASCAR more than a year ago, will provide stability by guaranteeing sponsors and other potential partners continued participation for an extended period of time.

NASCAR officials said the system would not have come into being without positive support and input from the various industry stakeholders with an end goal of providing the best racing and product possible.

Charters are transferable, which France said "will aid in the development of long-term enterprise value for Charter members."

Those organizations that have been awarded Charters are: Richard Petty Motorsports (2), Richard Childress Racing (3), Team Penske (2), Hendrick Motorsports (4), Roush Fenway Racing (3), Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (2), Joe Gibbs Racing (3), Michael Waltrip Racing (2), Stewart-Haas Racing (3), Furniture Row Racing (1), Front Row Motorsports (2), JTG Daugherty Racing (1), Tommy Baldwin Racing (1), Germain Racing (1), Go FAS Racing (1), BK Racing (2), Premium Motorsports (1), Circle Sport Racing (1) and HScott Motorsports (1).

Three teams that competed full time in 2015 do not currently have Charters -- the No. 19 of Joe Gibbs Racing with driver Carl Edwards, the No. 41 of Stewart-Haas Racing with Kurt Busch and the No. 46 of HScott Motorsports with Michael Annett.

The only way to obtain a Charter would be to purchase one of the existing 36 Charters. Michael Waltrip Racing closed its doors at the end of the 2015 season.

France said the team owner agreements "will offer a more appealing environment for both current and prospective team owners at the NASCAR premier series level.

"I've always stressed that if we can do things to improve the business of our stakeholders, we will pursue it," he said. "I'm very proud of what we've accomplished today with this agreement."

The Charter system is the latest long-term effort put into place by NASCAR. Last season it was announced that individual track sanctioning agreements, which previously had been handled on a year-to-year basis, had been extended to five-year arrangements beginning in 2016. And new multi-year broadcast agreements with FOX and NBC began last season as well.

In addition to the Charters, the agreement also includes the establishment of the Team Owner Council, a non-voting entity, which will have input into competitive and marketing matters going forward.

MWR received charters for the sole purpose of justifying the sale to two big teams who have cars that didn't qualify for a charter under the guidelines NASCAR set.

In a deal brokered by a former manager at MWR.

But don't worry. Everything is on the up and up. I am sure MWR's creditors are happy.

Cup racing has officially become a club.

I read that they are cutting the field from 43 to 40 cars. If so, could this be because they know it's going to be hard for them to field 43 cars now that some sponsors are bailing out. So they will have a charter system virtually locking in 36 cars/drivers? That's nice because don't they have 36 races that are considered points races in 2016?

Anyone know who might be next in line after "Billy Boy?"

The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if there is any hope for a turn around after he is gone or will it be more of the status quo, disappointment.

I with toyotatim, I like NASCAR and am going to watch and support their sponsors. What I get in return is a few hours of escape from the wicked ways of todays world. No cursing, no sexual innuendos no real violence, and guess what........no race baiting either. Very much unlike any prime time television. So for clean entertainment, NASCAR, WWE, and Disney. Insulting them will change nothing.

I guess it would be ok if the SHOW was good. Thats the problem. More and more people are bailing on NASCAR because the show is not as good as it was.Failing to sell out races are proof of this.I remember you had to get a Bristol ticket a year in advance. Not anymore. Thumper may be right comparing WWE and NASCAR. Everyone knows WWE is scripted. I would not be surprised to find out one day under the Brian France era NASCAR will be scripted too. Too enhance the'SHOW' of course.

For a forum that does not allow bashing NASCAR is getting beat up. If this was a local track discussion most posts would be removed.

I repeat the post I made towards the beginning of this thread:

For those who are wondering why I have posted such a negative thread:

1) If it's a Texas-based, grass-roots racing deal, be it a track, a series, a driver or official, it's protected, and I will remove, hide or edit those posts that are too negative or that are bashes, cussing, etc.

2) If it's at the international or top professional level, it's fair game for negative or positive critique, as long as it's civil. That includes F1 and the top NASCAR classes

As always, profanity and overly aggressive language is also not permitted, no matter what the topic of the thread;

If you disagree with the way the forums are handled, feel free to contact me in private rather than calling me out in the forums. I am easy to find and I do listen to and respond to all who contact me as long as the communications are civil.

Nick

Archived