Jay Fogleman to begin PASS National Championship run this weekend

Jay Fogleman To Begin PASS National Championship Run At Greenville-Pickens

CHARLOTTE, NC (February 2) – Two-time Pro All Stars Series (PASS) National Champion, Jay Fogleman, will make his return to the driver’s seat for this Saturday afternoon’s PASS Winter Meltdown at Greenville-Pickens Speedway. Fogleman will pilot an entry for the Woodman Racing team as he prepares to compete for the PASS National Championship in 2016. This weekend’s 150 lapper will mark the first time Fogleman has sat behind the wheel in competition since making his lone start last year at Kingsport Speedway. The 2013 PASS South Super Late Model Champion will join his son and defending series champion, Tate, in the first major points event of 2016 in asphalt short track racing.

“The plan originally was to get Tate comfortable enough to race on his own and, as last year proved, he can handle himself just fine,” said Fogleman. “It’s just time and I’ve always had a plan to go back racing. I’m just going to run the National races, ease back into it, and still have time to concentrate on him [Tate]. If something comes up where he can drive for somebody else, then I’ll keep running my stuff and just run whenever I can.”

While Fogleman has not been behind the wheel much over the last three seasons, his passion for the sport remains strong. And the driver from Durham, NC is not only excited to get back behind the wheel at Greenville-Pickens Speedway this weekend, where he won a PASS South event at in 2009, but to travel north and compete one again in the Oxford 250.

“I’ve always ran tour races since, I guess, ’89 and it’s just the type of racing I like to do,” says Fogleman. “I like to go up north and race Mike and Ben Rowe and all those guys and I’ve got a lot of friends up there. Going to different race tracks and different places is where I’ve kind of excelled at and that’s really the biggest reason I like doing it.”

But Fogleman will not be the only driver focused on making a strong showing for the PASS National Championship. Being on Super Bowl weekend, the PASS Winter Meltdown will be short track racing’s first major points event of 2016 and will also feature a 100 lap event for the South East Limited Late Models (Non-Winners), a 75 lapper for the Southeast Supertrucks, both paying $3,000 to win, and a 40 lap event for the Mini Stocks paying $2,000 to the winner.

A new batch of entries has come in for what looks to be one of the most star studded field of drivers in recent memory. Eldora Truck Series winner, Christopher Bell, will be making his first start of 2016 for Kyle Busch Motorsports. The open wheel racing driver’s catapult up the ranks of stock car racing began with his PASS South win at Rougemont, NC in 2014.

Zachary Dabbs is making the move up from the PASS Pro Late Model division as he looks to make his first PASS Super Late Model start this weekend at Greenville. Kyle Desouza will make the trip from Massachusetts and plans to compete for the PASS South title in 2016. A strong group of drivers will be joining him from New England including Kaz Grala, Mike Hopkins, Derek Ramstrom, John-Michael Shenette and former PASS National Champions, Joey Doiron and Ben Rowe. Matt Matheson will make the tow down from New Brunswick following a strong showing in the PASS National Championship in 2013.

Local favorite Randy Gentry returns after nearly winning at Greenville-Pickens to start the season in 2014. Tyler Church, a native of Hickory, NC, went to victory lane once last year at Dillon Motor Speedway, but is hoping to compete much more in 2016 and possibly challenge for a second PASS South championship. Brennan Poole, a former Late Model Stock touring champion and current Xfinity Series driver, will be making his PASS Super Late Model debut with the Fathead Driver Development Program. Virginia’s Trey Jarrell will be back for the Winter Meltdown after several near misses last year that saw him come close to victory lane.

Northwest short track legend Garrett Evans will pilot the famous #64 in the PASS Winter Meltdown. The Washington state driver will compete in several PASS events throughout the season, with an eye towards possible competing for the PASS National Championship. Texas youngster Derek Scott, Jr. will make his first trip to Greenville-Pickens Speedway for the Winter Meltdown. Scott competed in three PASS South events last year, including the Easter Bunny 150 at Hickory Motor Speedway, where he was the fastest qualifier and led the most laps. Michigan driver Vinnie Miller returns in 2016 after several impressive runs late last year. Miller has already announced his intention to compete on the full schedule as he races for the PASS South Super Late Model championship this year.

Kodie Conner from Kannapolis moves up to the PASS South Super Late Model division full-time in 2016 after taking the PASS Pro Late Model title last year. Matt Craig, another teenaged driver from Kannapolis, looks to build on a strong finish to the 2015 season in the C&C Boilers machine which saw him finish fourth in points. Veteran Jimmy Doyle of Hendersonville finished fifth in PASS South points in 2015 and will be seeking his first career win. And, North Carolina’s Jeff Batten has filed an entry for the Meltdown, following a career best sixth place finish in the final PASS South Super Late Model standings last year.

Action gets underway at Greenville-Pickens Speedway on Friday, February 5th with gates opening at 9 AM and rotating practice for the PASS Super Late Models, Southeast Limited Late Models, Southeast Supertrucks, and Mini Stocks from 11 AM – 5 PM. On Saturday, February 6th, gates will open at 8 AM, with rotating practice from 10 AM – 12:05 PM, qualifying at 12:30 PM, and feature events set to go green at 2 PM.

The complete weekend schedule and entry forms for the PASS Winter Meltdown at Greenville-Pickens Speedway can be found at ProAllStarsSeries.com. The 2016 license forms for the PASS Super Late Models are now available at ProAllStarsSeries.com. Drivers purchasing licenses for the 2016 season will receive bonus points for each race they are pre-registered for and will also save money towards any events that they enter early.

The Pro All Stars Series is recognized as North America’s premier sanctioning body for asphalt Super Late Models and boasts such marquee events as the Easter Bunny 150 at Hickory Motor Speedway and the legendary Oxford 250 at Oxford Plains Speedway. For media or marketing questions, please contact Alan Dietz at 704-231-2039 or alandietzpass@live.com. Please visit ProAllStarsSeries.com for more information and don’t forget to “Like” the Pro All Stars Series on Facebook or follow us on Twitter at @PASSSLM14 to keep up with breaking news as it happens.

Archived