Your opportunity to post #1 need

HiTech , I agree with all you say. I talked to someone with strong ties to the Mid-West and he told me several tracks were saved by SC' s. And the common thing was IMCA rules. I haven't been in favor of IMCA in the past but that changed when I got to see several races at Cotton Bowl last year. The racing in the IMCA classes were off the chart good with car counts pushing 30 in the two mod classes each race.I-Stock are a blast to watch. I'm planning a trip to Heart of Texas on a Friday night then Kennedale on a Sat night. Both are IMCA and I'm going to see if the racing there backs up what I saw at CBS. From what I know about the two tracks I think they will prove it. Thumper is right about the track either buying in or dropping. Go outlaw on more year,go IMCA or even CTS next year and watch it grow.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thumper, point was there's issues on both sides and yes communication and working together is what needs to happen. It's going to be a debate, track won't drop big purse money when class doesn't grow, drivers (some) won't race for just their pit pass. You nailed it too. A new team that wants to race, what do you tell them, is it closer to an outlaw mini or TPS car or more or less stock car? So purse and rules are the issue and think most are not familiar with the four cylinder cars so would it be fair for those people to make rules for the class or would putting it in the hands of the drivers that know those type of cars, find a workable set of rules, establish them, prove viability work on generating interest, grow the class, show the track it's worth investing purse money in. Is a Pure or Bomber payout fair for that class? Or will it require a larger purse to accommodate the type of money a driver invests to be competitive? I thought I read somewhere that the STS officials admitted to not knowing much about them. That's why I'd suggest getting those drivers that run and have cars together and have a meeting with STS officials and see if something can be worked out. Maybe use an existing set of rules as a starting point and tweak if necessary. As it is now, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an investor in a small class. I'm not trying to bash the class and those of you that are racing every week have supported the class for a few years. I'll admit to not knowing much about the 4 cylinder cars, but can see a huge difference from a TPS style car and a true Sport Compact. Find the direction you guys want to go, get those guys that are parked back on the track, have 10-15 each night and get it back going. Most payouts are based on car counts. It's not just the Sport Compacts either. Street Stocks don't have too many on a regular night but when the STXSSS ran they had 20+ most nights so how does that happen? Stephan isn't running the Shootout this year so we'll see if that helps the Street Stocks grow or not.

GB seems to be the only one interested. Why dont you contact ass many sc drivers that you know that run here or there and see what it woukd take to get them to come and join your class at STS. Believe me it works. I did it in 2014 at CCS with the bombers. We got the rules relaxed a little and they allowed the dirt guys to come with just a tire change under there rules and we had a few show up. I aso talked with the CTS drivers and had 3 of them come down and play also. Someone who isnt afraid to take charge and promote there own class will help big time. Look at TALMS. Look at what Cody Beddoe has done over what 3 or 4 years with the series. From 4 maybe 5 of 6 a night to averaging probably 16 or more a night for the last few years. Now hes adding dirt tracks to the series after the finale last season and the biggest car count the series has seen. Someone needs to take charge and round up the cars needed to have a good race.

IN 1989 we had only 5 cars coming back to race in 1990 at cc speedway . frank said he would not run us ..pops carpenter and I sat down and did some figuring and calling on drivers to find what it was we needed to do to rebuild .it was not left to the track to rebuild us nore promise a purse till we showed we could bring the cars back ...so getting mad at sts for not wanting to run this class is wrong as gb keeps saying they wont talk to us sort a thing ...it isn't what the track can at this point will do for u its show us what you can prove to the track . I am not going to pay you till that yard is mowed first ...sts has proven they will run the sports compact if they show .but it hasn't grown ..and that is not really the tracks fault ..I agree with what joshua has said and at some of things others have said .but until someone takes on the challenge we took back then and as gb took ten years later to build the class it wont grow .now ILL get back to what this thread was about .

Well, actually the main point of the SC is relevant to this thread, communication between track and drivers, which would also go for every class. How many times last year were the LLM unsure of the program, is it a race night, is it a points night. Open communication is necessary for all. If the track wants to keep every class, then think it's all relevant. How do we keep or improve the struggling classes, therefore making a better shoe and fan experience which is what this thread is for.

I think we should have a carnival night at the races with a dunking booth in the pit and one behind the grandstands.Stephan and Ken would spend 30 minutes in one and switch giving racers and fans equal chance. Thousands could be made in the pits alone! Start in the pits at 5PM .

yep cody I was around lol .I dug those mud pits then when frank took the track back we move the mud pits to the back 40 till don bought the track man o man was frank mad that dirt track was torn down for those dumb rodeo crap oneil wanted.the table top bridge was buried close to the tech pad ........ but I agree it sure drew folks in ...some don't care for car racing but mud and motor bike track made the most of it .don't how much land sts has to play with but that grader could easily build a bike track with out spending much money other than a spot light a couple of long boards for some to sit on and go race

It would be nice to find more ways to include the fans into the program in some way. Especially the kids. It would be neat to do something in real time like throw a giant inflatable dice into the stands to determine the start inversions (Like SAS did a couple years ago).

ProAm Pedal car races against the drivers - Kids and adults!

For a feature race, do driver introductions, then have the drivers throw a frisbee or tennis ball into the stands with their car #. The fan or kiddo who catches the item of the winning car would get to come take their picture at the end of the race, or take a lap with a car that has a passenger seat, or maybe free tickets to the next event.

I'm not sure that the track could support this next idea - but if it had 2 driveable lanes, you could do 2 lap, 1 on 1 races for the faster classes in a tournament style draw or even keep a running ladder for 1 on 1 challenge races. Just a different idea for racing! winner take a small amount of cash, and any side bets! Keep the announcers in on the side bet amounts so they can amp up the crowd. (like street outlaws, but dirt track style)

I believe the plan this year is to grow it bigger then ever. To grow it back to where it once was isnt acceptable. Ken has set the bar pretty high for us this year. He will be sharing alot more at the banquet yet another reason to come thsi Saturday and hang out. Some ideas have not been completely accepted 100% yet but the desire to having a big year is there. There is no guaranteed plan or idea that makes a track successful but with your ideas, our ideas and trying to get the local drivers all on the same page might get us off to a good start. Lets pray mother nature cuts us some slack because that was the biggest issue of all last year for this track. Keep the ideas rolling dont slow down.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of great ideas in here. I have a couple myself. During my military career and a racer, I had the chance to race at many dirt tracks around the bases I was stationed at. While being home in Corpus, we raced at STS and also SOS. When Steve Turner had SOS he came up with the idea of the winner from the previous week had the option to give up his current starting spot for the current week and drop to the rear of the field and start from there. Where ever they finished that night there was an extra $100. added to their feature finishing spot. The announcer would come over the speakers and inform the fans of that driver and the driver would then pull out of his current spot and drop to the rear for the feature, The fans loved it.

While racing at Potomac Speedway in Maryland, the track came up with 3 factory stocks, but STS could use bombers. The cars were owned by the track and race ready for the winning fan ticket holder to actually be part of the race. They sold raffle tickets at a 1.00 a piece and during the half time break they would announce the three winning ticket holders. Those three fans would come out the following week and from hot laps, heat races ad to the feature they were part of the show. It was a huge hit and gave those fans that couldn't afford a race car their dream to actually get behind the wheel of a race car and compete. That was a very huge hit with the fans and we always had packed grand stands every week.

I love STS and know you all will do great.

• 2 weeks later...

It was my 1st time at ur track and I loved the track and will be back every time I can but I can think of a lot that needs improved but I'll leave that to ur locals for now however I'm the manager of a very outgoing construction company and if u would like to do something with the pit area or even the parking lot please let me know we have a awsome product to fix the dust and mud problem and will last way longer then blacktop and u should think about long lasting because from what I've seen and heard this track is here to stay and grow

Archived