Your opportunity to post #1 need

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK looks like we have more then enough lineups options to kick around. I like were Scott is going. What can we do individually that impacts the stands. The stands is the heart beat of the track. Consistant big crowds more then pays the bills. It offers opportunities for big races, major track upgrades and all of those type of things are big positives. So keep the suggestions coming great job so far.

How about bringing the slot car track back out. I had discussed this briefly with Ken last year but with the weather issues that hit the track also affected bringing the slot car track out. Although it may not impact your fan count greatly ,I can tell you that a many of moms and dads thanked us for giving the kids something to do and they were able to enjoy the entire race program.

Use a few track vehicles to roll the track in and have it ready for hot laps as soon as the drivers meeting is over. It is a complete waste of time having the drivers pack the track and and waiting on them to clean their cars. Once you put cars on the track,keep the program moving until it's over.

Drivers need to do their part to be ready and keep things rolling.

The berm on the inside is normally not there. When the berm is in place is normally there because the infield is holding water. Mudded out stuck cars in the infield slow down the show. Example at Friday Getcha$ome the berm kept a couple cars from spinning into the flooded mud but not a select few that proceeded over and into the mud. Those couple cars delayed the show due to it taking a long time to get them removed. Thus why the berm was in place but not bullet proof.

Something I reme them doing out there when I was a kid.

Have a king of the hill race for a class on each night and put up some money for the winner.

This would be something to excite the fans and add more drama to the show as the fans would be excited to see who the next challenger is to come out.

My request is more communication between the track and the Compacts. As of this moment we have no clue what direction we are going if anywhere. We are not a traveling series, we are a part of STS or nothing at all. I have heard of several new teams and they are also requesting info.

Also many of us are from out of town and would like to register by mail. Please work with us. Thanks.

Thumper , I think I may have a solution to Sports Compacts going forward.Since it is late to rewrite rules I say one more year of "open" rules. Then STS can adopt these ....https://www.imca.com/rules/sportcompact/ .That way the guys and gals wanting to build a car can build to those rules and the current cars can have a year to convert. I picked IMCA for if anyone wanted to go to Cotton Bowl(the closest track with SC's) they should be legal. I also picked IMCA because wherever they were used the class grew. Plus if anyone wanted to try Boone.

Gotta start somewhere. Heck there are only 6 or so SC's that regularly run and most of those are FWD. More and more tracks are adopting IMCA rules and to grow this class throughout the area and open up their options IMCA would be the best way to go.

SPORTS compacts have had problems keeping up with the times over the last 15 plus years or so for various reasons . The older racers like us, gb, and others still have 40 year old cars and don't want to get rid of em nor take the time and money to build the type of cars it would take to really keep this class ahead of the game. And that we can take the blame for.

The in fighting over who gets what to even the field played a larger factor and there we can take the blame again. But that also comes down to the different in the type of cars we chose to race, again part of the problems. Also those days a pinto, a vw, a mustang were just laying around and cheap to buy and most parts could be changed over from one to the other. Todays car are not like that. The cars of today laying around now usually have a blown motor or something that cost too much to fix or the price is to high just to buy one running and convert it over to racing

CTS has a good class of sport compacts, but you don't see pintos or mustangs racing with em and only one vw. And if I am right most of those drivers come from racing families with few from outside. You can also add the millions of people who live close that helps keep drivers coming in. We don't have that here.

TPS still has a good count but most of the drivers are older with older cars or special chassis cars with carbed motors and they cost a lot and time is catching up .

Then you look at some of the classes racing on dirt, emods for example. Cheap class to run in and pures are cheap. That hurts the sports compacts.When early years sports compact were the cheapest class to get into, that was why I went from v8s to four bangers way back then. Now the v8 is cheaper.

Then you have racing families starting their young ones out in those cheaper v8 classes seeing they have most of the parts already.

And ill shut up with this ramble I am sure I did not make any sense but I got it off my chest...

Are the Pures cheaper than a true Sport Compact? I could see a TPS car getting expensive, they are built for racing but mom and pop's four banger sitting rusting, drop a cage, break the glass days are gone (which I thought was the purpose of the Sport Compacts, economical, entry level type class)? Now that STS is starting a Bomber class, will that end the future of racing 4 cylinders? I hope they don't expect the existing Sport Compacts to join the Bombers. Can you imagine if one is sitting sideways and a full body Bomber comes along and hits it? Let's say an old, big body Monte Carlo hitting a Foxbody Mustang or even Thumper? That would be a nightmare. I hope the SC's can figure something out but they need to do something to unite the class and help it grow because the 5-6 weekly they're getting isn't going to fly from a managerial point of view. We know they're out there since 19 I think showed up for Getcha$ome. We're not an IMCA track and it doesn't seem like it's in STS' future so maybe they can use IMCA rules with exceptions like most tracks and their Sport Mods.

Was trying to be optimistic, I know there are just as many sitting right now as there are running but I don't know the reasons why and there have been a couple that have been built and run too so if they can just get together and figure out their differences, the class may grow again. Yes communication with the track may need improvement too since I was working a STSSS race last year and only one Sport Compact showed up and wasn't even sure if they were scheduled that night or not. But even when they were advertised, they had low car counts. Very few of them show up every week and only usually see one trying to help out on here so I don't know if those other drivers either aren't on here, not interested, or moved on to other things. When the Limited Late Models had their difficulties, they at least tried to get together and find some middle ground, logistics were a nightmare for them since half are in the SA area and half are here. Now they're addressing their issues and still trying to do something to save their class. The same philosophy with them too, I'll feel bad for the 5-6 that show up every night but if the cars are there, why aren't they racing? One Pure Stock missing races doesn't hurt as bad as one SC or LLM right now and I know the LLMs are trying to figure their stuff out now, the SCs I only see Thumper trying to help the class but hope you guys/gals don't lose your class but have to find out why the cars that are out there are not running, how to grow it and prove it to the track you're worth having from a business standpoint. I'm all for giving a class a chance to race but a constant 5-6 car show doesn't seem sound business wise. I do hope they come back and enjoy racing again with a full field.

You cant sell out of an empty wagon. Now if I were to approach a possible new team and try to convince them to build a Sport Compack, what do I tell them? They see all the negativity and doomsday responses, see no communication with track management and an unattainable purse.

Its not the compact racers fault the series stalled out. Quit ignoring or bleating them. Give them something to look foreword to, a little respect, but mostly strong leadership by someone that can address all our issues. Currently growing our class is like a farmer tossing out a seed, then coming back at harvest time to see if it produced.

If the track does not want to deal with us they should just end the deal altogether. Or assign somebody to work it. Believe me its not fun to race 5 cars and every night watch the gate to see if theres enough show up to race. Ive been there too many times.

You guys have pointed out the situations on this thread. Now how is it dealt with? Series sponsor anyone?

Archived