Your opportunity to post #1 need

It's a balance between excitement vs tearing stuff up. I've heard at other tracks how "rough" STS is so if drivers are getting tore up weekly, those drivers are unlikely to come back or the class will fade if they need to keep rebuilding every week. And by the way, other tracks have attrition and um interesting behaviors at times too.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) raceievers are great and are supposed to be mandatory they speed up the show when they are used correctly and by the right person, there needs to be an experienced person using it, not a cheerleader this is a tool use it! How do we insure everyone is using one? In the event someone's not responding stop them on the front straight and check if they don't have one send email to the tail,it's not right that 80 % of us have them and one guys slowing the show done by not lining up. In the right hands they are excellent in getting the line up correct and show moving.

2) hot laps after packing. No hot laps straight to heat,I don't think I need to state why but will if needed.

3)explain in drivers meeting the importance of keeping a good pace during packing 1 to aerate the mud and pack and 2 to keep cars from sliding down to the bottom and being stuck. Not a hot lap pace but a speedy pace will speed the process.

4)someone said transponders were useless, let me tell you that that tool is huge in having a speedy show and getting going after cautions, easy to print heats and features without having a dry erase marker that doesn't work and you could print numerous copies to post, also speed the draw process at beginning of the night. Are they expensive yes but transponders can be rented or rent to own...maybe not now but this is technology being used everywhere across the country. And should be utilized here at some point.

5) scale pad needs to be reconfigured,redone,moved or something at some point. Maybe expand the tech area and cover it at least the roof and install some lighting, lots of the materials for some of these things could come thru donations/sponsorships...

Thanks for opening up the floor for suggestions

I never had a problem starting in the back high points aslong as the other high points start back there to .it is more fun to race towards the front and you learn a lot more bout your driving style and car.. and learn what others are doing if your a two speed driver you wont learn much other than wrecking and blaming the slow cars for it .... I think just by what I have seen at dirt tracks is no mirrors and the driver being passed wont know it most of the time till a move is made on em and that can be a problem at times .but good racers will rise to the top no matter where they start .

The transponder I had was $150 for a year (MyLaps) and came with the mounting materials that can be moved and secured with zip ties, a charger and the unit itself and the MyLaps website has average speed, times etc drivers/crews would find helpful. As for track cost, I'd have no idea but as was said, tracks could rent them out or sell them outright at the track.

Start heats random draw or high point to rear...(with exception to new/rookie drivers to rear)

Top 4 finishers in each heat lineup by high points to rear in main.

So, 16 cars total . 2, 8 car heats, 1st- 8th in feature line up by high point to 8th in feature,lowest to 1st, etc.

If you miss heat or do not top 4 in heat you start 9th (or 13th if more than 2 heats, etc) or worse, this way Heat races count and are raced to make top 4( better racing)

High point average leader wins a few from 8th place, he passed a lot of cars to do so and everyone in front of him had a chance to start ahead . Promotes better racing for fans..

..........New/rookie drivers that want to start in back of heats or features should do so until they can maintain car control...

Also, Black flag those that need it, Rough drivers just tear up cars and cause lower counts...

I have seen the following method be very successful.

If there are 24 cars -

Lowest 8 point average run 1st heat / 9-16 point average 2nd heat / 17-24 point average 3rd heat

Slower cars together in same heat opens opportunity for more winners throughout the year

Fastest cars all in the same heat is a good show / similar to the old trophy dash

Top 5 in first and second heat qualify for A Main / top 6 in third heat qualify for A Main

Line up A Main with lowest qualified point average on pole and highest point average 16th

If previous race feature winner is qualified for A, they are moved out of their place and start 16th

Run a B Main and the top 4 will line up in the order they finish behind 16 cars already qualified

I would like to see a daytime race or two. I still don't understand why all the races start so late. On Saturday Im just sitting around waiting for the races to start and then get home so late I don't want to do anything on Sunday.

As far as inverting the field, I don't care. I have started in the back and in the front and had a great time with both. I do have a little apprehension about starting behind a new driver and his ability to hold his line.

I agree that the track could use a little clean up. I know it takes time. I have lived in my house for 17 years and my yard is not what I would call beautiful.

Late payout is probably my biggest thing. I have to work on Sunday and it is hell trying to get up at 6am when you don't get home till 3am.

I think Ken is doing a great job with the track and I cant wait to see what the future brings.

It takes lots of time and money for all of it. Thank you South Texas Speedway for giving me a place to work out some of my anger issues

From the spectator side, more cars less heat races, I've been to some tracks that run 6 cars in three heat races, in stead of 9 in two. If you run 15 to 20 cars in the feature run more in the heat just less heat races . It makes the show go faster and builds the excitement for the feature.

There is nothing wrong with the racing in most classes at STS.Can it be tweeked some ? The only place I see as a fan is the line up,getting the fast cars off the front rows.I don't need to make decent looking cars into ugly or funny looking cars. I think most fans want 1. good car counts 2.good side by side racing. I miss the Sprint Cars at STS. USMTS I know is a big expense but if SOS can do it....

How about a package/discount deal for pit entry ? We usually bring 2 cars to every race, at least 4 to 6 crewmembers/Family members each time. There has been several times where just getting into to pitgate was 250/300 bucks. I understand insurance regulates and its not cheap but I would bet you if you put together a family package deal or race team deal with a minimal head count to a certain discount price I bet you would get more car count and money in the long run....Not wanting special treatment just wanting to bring more people to the show..

You are on to something. The IceRays and Hooks have " Group Prices " . Get them there at 5:30-6 , give them a cap or t-shirt , give them a 30 min tour of the pits etc. And wives/moms should have a night for them. They put up with a lot, especially the wives ,and maybe one night they get in free . You can rotate by class like "E-Mod wife/moms night at the races".

Also,

Promote clean driving from race director on down. More cars show up each week and keeps show going.

Wrecks are gonna happen no matter what, but trying to win it on turn one thinking never works.

Say it again champ. lol....the shortened version of this statement is......brakes....LMAO.. <_<

Well there are a lot of good ideas on this thread. Many I think should be implemented.

The best part of this exercise is we were ASKED! Communication is a key, especially when it comes to a rule making something mandatory. I think something was learned there. Running a track and making rules for it is tough and it takes a thick skinned individual to take that on. Let us not forget that .

Bottom line is SOS and STS MUST be supported other wise CBS and IMCA will be the best option left. We have to work around the details (E-Mod roofs ) otherwise we lose a class or lose a track. Not all change is good but you don't find out until it is tried.Now if it doesn't work and the track doesn't listen then shame on them.But right now no one knows.

SOS is taking a BIG risk running on Fridays. SOS would KILL for 800 fans.To be honest the times I went to CBS I'm not sure they had much more than 800. Number one is the quality of racing on the track. To me STS has little to do there.Our racers ( our meaning those that show from anywhere) are the best as a group. SOS has a good group. Just don't try to do too much at once.

Like I said before I love live music.But throwing $3000 at a band that 20 people are watching you gotta be careful. And that was when times were easy. I think the best off the track deal for the fans is a souvenier stand. The caps are good , t-shirts not so much.

Bring back the Tijuana Taxi. That was fun! Fans love a ride to the gate! Throw t-shirts/caps/koozies etc to fans. Play games at intermission. Steal from Milton Hope and do Simon Says or Chicken dance. There is a lot to be done that would cost the track little to no money. Once the track is making money THEN go on to bigger ideas. STS is a gold mine to be sure.Just take it in steps. Just sayin.

The way I37 did there line ups was by point average. The highest point average always started at the back and the lowest at the front. Any new or rookie driver had the option to start in the back which I would like to see anyone new to the class have a ribbon on the back of their car to make the other drivers aware. If you miss a race then you would start in the back behind the highest point average which encourages you to be there every race. You have to beware that if you have the top finishers in the heat start at the back of the feature then your faster cars will sandbag or not finish the heat so they can start in the front. Also give heat race points, 12 cars start the heat then 1st would get 12 points and 2nd would get 11 and so on. You have some drivers that don't care about points but only want the trophy and payout. When figuring the point average it has to be done by how many points they have and divide the number of races that they actually raced, other wise if you count a race that was missed then they will have a low point average for most of the season. This method worked well and kept the drivers honest and put on a good show for the spectators. Having the fast cars in the front can be boring to the fans due to there being a few dominant cars and this would give all cars a chance to win. And I do agree about using the black flag, way to much carnage!!

And it keeps it fair for every. It gives everyone the chance to win and that in turn keeps the driver from getting discouraged and just giving up and quit racing cause the same cars always win. Seemed like the car count didn't fall off as long as the black flag was used to control the drivers.

Taz....miss the days of 137...you hit it on the nail bro...we had way less carnage in my opinion at 37 because of this point setup...we always had equality for everyone and it made the fast guys work their way to the front...

Archived