Your opportunity to post #1 need

Over this off season so far and the next couple months STS, its management and officials will be reviewing needs, changes and upgrades. Like any business the topics will have to be prioritize what we can do emmidiately, what can we afford and who we put in place to get the job done.

This is what we have in place;

Ownership that not only cares but is attempting new bold ideas for the betterment of local racing.

We have the makings of a strong officiating scoring team.

We have a large base of drivers with tons of passion and desire.

Over the next couple weeks myself and Ted will be meeting to go over what we call "The Show". This obviously centers around the drivers and fans on race night.

I am hoping to open the floor so we may be given ideas from your perspective on an issue you would like to see added or done better.

Please don't write a book or list generic topics. Give me one idea you have. Something you dreamed up or seen at a track before. Something that we can sit down, read and discuss. I don't want to relive any past issues but to move forward with a better more positive program then previously. Example: When do you prefer to do hotlaps before races or during your heat prior to the start?

This is the type of feedback I would like to hear. Keep it short, sweet and professional. If you do your part in assisting us we will do our part and look at all the input from you guys. Also as far as the obvious goes we know you want racing to be done early, more purse and less expenses. Give us something big or small that we can consider for 2016...

Thanks in advance for being professional and respectful.... OK go....

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to say one thing here,

Every successful business must have a vision. It must be willing to change and adapt to become the best it can be. My Vision is a big one. I strive for my Vision and even if I don;t hit it I may come close and that is better then not trying.

Currently STS has about 100 Cars and 800 fans in the stands. To me this is not acceptable. My goal is to double the fan count by September, I want to see the fans so packed in I have to install more stands.

I want to see the drivers and fans interacting. I want to see businesses begging to be a part of our track.

I see the track growing with small shops, a restaurant and full bar. We will have bands, Performers etc.

My vision is big!!! My vision means we will have the #1 track in the country!!

Ken Hobbs

USMTS and/or ASCS. if not those more STP events. Think about IMCA down the road. I admit I was not a fan of IMCA until I saw a lot of races at Cotton Bowl last year.25-30 car counts every week in Modifieds,Sportmods and I-Stock. And the racing was awesome and VERY competitive.It seems the tracks with the larger car counts are IMCA so there must be something to it. Eliminate the riding of scooters/skateboads in the fan areas.A no alcohol/family section.

My suggestion is about what NOT to do and that's going to a transponder system. They are overpriced and not accurate all the time. A transponder should cost less than $50 but usually costs around $400.

About hot laps, it is a safety issue to me. The more experience a driver gets the less accidents he will cause. At RGS we had hot laps not only before the races but also at halftime. This also allowed teams to make adjustments for that nights feature. Since STS in rotating classes there might be more available time.

It would be great to increase public interfacing with the teams. To begin, a short interview with each feature winner over the loudspeaker for all classes. This lets the audience see the person AND hear from him/her. What I have seen work best is allowing the audience full access to the pits AND teams having someone stay with the race car and hand out greeting cards after the show was complete. What I did was make a master copy of the race car and driver, then photocopy it to have something to hand out each fan. Many teams also handed out candy or small tokens mainly to kids. At one track I handed out a hundred souvenir sheets each year but at the dirt tracks maybe 2.

Also having 2 announcers keeping a conversation going has been proven to aid the show. Perhaps a racer can also visit the booth on occasion and discuss that nights conditions. The announcers can reflect on stories for every racer, we all have one. Announcers make or break most sporting events.

None of this will cost anything other than time. To really see what spectators want, a suggestion box was added to one track I raced at. 80% was bitching but 20% was helpful.

Texas Thunder in Killeen(may it rest in peace) had a racing clothing and related stuff in its own air conditioned building. I saw a lot of people going in and a lot coming out with a bag , me included. STP has nice shirts so maybe whoever does theirs can do STS . It also had a bar in the front of the parking lot,don't think it was part of the track though.

Apollo Towing is a sponsor of the track correct?

Maybe they would be more efficient moving the cars than the green truck so the cautions don't last 10 minutes this year.

Just trying to be constructive here. Not trying to piss anyone off.

Obviously, Ken is taking a huge risk in opening up for input from anybody and everybody. In the past, promoters have been hesitant to allow this and rightfully so since in every instance they were attacked and vilified by the very racers and fans they were there to serve.

Lone Star Speedzone has a long history of strong moderation and I will be keeping a close eye out for boo-birds and angry forks with an agenda... In that regard, if you see something that is obviously an attack on the track or its staff, please call me immediately at 210-415-1251 and I will evaluate the post(s) and take action if needed.

Thanks for keeping this thread positive.

Nick

I have one change that needs to happen....We need to be lined up after the first night of points...by points for the rest of the season..Here is why.

1...Not every driver in each class has the benefits that others do. Pocket book dictates everything and we need to create a fair playing field for every one in each class. We need to be lined up by points to allow for those less fortunate drivers to have a shot at front row honors and a chance to bring home the gold. I am one of those guys that doesn't not have an issue having to start by points. We did it for years and it was an equalizer. Every driver deserves equal opportunity.

2...The Fans DO NOT want to see the same 3 or 4 guys start up front every feature. For me...Its nice to start on the pole but not always fun or challenging. Its not fair...So lets give the fans the excitement of their favorite driver starting up front or having to put excitement back into the show by having to WORK for the win from the back...It can be done..I have seen it happen...I know when we started we had very little good equipment and I relied on points and consistency because I was under talented and under powered at every angle. I want to give that back to those drivers in our class and give the fans a true show.

3...It will build a respect that lacks right now between drivers and equipment. If you have to work to the front it will make you learn to respect a clean pass and humble yourself by knowing you HAD to work for the win...Its only FAIR to the entire facility. I am one that has had to work from the back to the front and it taught me alot about control....respect..and I actually learn from others I am behind..Its time we give it back.....Please make this happen.......now bring on the criticism.....NITRO said it

Nice guys keep em coming please. I hear every day what should be done, this and that. I'm sure Ken and Ted do as well. Like Nick said not many tracks will open the floor for your input. We have and are listening. Make your point on here and see if it makes a difference. We are asking for your help so we can all have an awesome place to have fun at.

As a driver there isn't much fan to driver interaction. We had championship night and nothing big! No more redraw, no fan auction, no foot races during intermission. We took away fan interaction because the show ran too long. We need to look at what causes the show to run long ie wreckers and fix that and bring the fans back to being involved with the drivers. Nothing against the announcer cause I like him personally but not enough hype being built up. These are just a few examples.

Drew I agree 110% with your #2. 89CREWMEMBER is correct also. Driver/fan interaction takes time and I think it is time well spent.If it means going to 11 to get it done so be it.Anyway if the "show" is moving along without delay between races fans don't notice the time as much.

To Sportmod......I don't think Apollo Towing or any other towing company can afford to put a 75,000 wrecker in the mud. However the track should have a dedicated recovery vehicle and could be built without a lot of expense. It should be able to push a car while towing another. In Missouri I saw tractors being used. They never got stuck or lacked power and were fast. Push bar on front, a pole with a wench on the back. Or an old 4/4 can be modified. I think Shawn Bouland and Billy York are building something like this.

I have one change that needs to happen....We need to be lined up after the first night of points...by points for the rest of the season..Here is why.

1...Not every driver in each class has the benefits that others do. Pocket book dictates everything and we need to create a fair playing field for every one in each class. We need to be lined up by points to allow for those less fortunate drivers to have a shot at front row honors and a chance to bring home the gold. I am one of those guys that doesn't not have an issue having to start by points. We did it for years and it was an equalizer. Every driver deserves equal opportunity.

2...The Fans DO NOT want to see the same 3 or 4 guys start up front every feature. For me...Its nice to start on the pole but not always fun or challenging. Its not fair...So lets give the fans the excitement of their favorite driver starting up front or having to put excitement back into the show by having to WORK for the win from the back...It can be done..I have seen it happen...I know when we started we had very little good equipment and I relied on points and consistency because I was under talented and under powered at every angle. I want to give that back to those drivers in our class and give the fans a true show.

3...It will build a respect that lacks right now between drivers and equipment. If you have to work to the front it will make you learn to respect a clean pass and humble yourself by knowing you HAD to work for the win...Its only FAIR to the entire facility. I am one that has had to work from the back to the front and it taught me alot about control....respect..and I actually learn from others I am behind..Its time we give it back.....Please make this happen.......now bring on the criticism.....NITRO said it

Let me clarify...point average for heat line ups..line up feature by heat finishes..and redraws for 1-6 of feature line up...

Thats when the flag man comes into place. Ive started many races in the back bc i cant make heat race. I made my way to front...your always gonna have those that just run over people but the guys that are usually up front Should be able to pass cleanly but then you run into those slow cars that dont let you pass!!!

Well it would improve"the show". It would also increase wrecks not so much from the guys up front but from the guys in back running over them. One can look at Bowman-Grey.10,000+ fans , 50 cops and car destruction fist throwing entertainment. I'm sure they make a ton of money. Not sayin that is where you are going. Drew's idea of lining upheats by points, features by heat results and a redraw would mix the cars up just right. Personally if the on track product gets back to where it was a few years back that is all that is needed.It is not that far off now, pretty much just one class.The racers in this area have the ability to put on a good show without a lot of gimmicks. Improving fan amenities is something that hasn't been different anywhere for sometime.

I like the idea of points to the rear and definitely the flag man would come into play and spotters would to if someone is driving recklessly to the front then one warning with the flag and if it continues black flag. I believe with the quality of drivers at sts that wrecking to get to the front wouldn't be an issue.

Not sure what the band budget is but a good band to look into are the Spazmatics out of Austin. These guys have a huge following in Corpus. They play Brewster Street the first Friday of each month. Next time they are here is Feb. 5. Go see them if nothing else you will have a ton of fun watching them.

I like that idea of the points for heat and line up features then redraw that is a good way to become a spectator attraction. Not taking roofs off a modified not trying to start anything or reopen an old subject fans want to be enetertained. Big classes knowing the driver and fan interaction is a great way to grow the fan base. Gimmicks are cool til about the 3rd or 4th night. Then its the same old song and dance.

The point idea is a good one. But remember to use the point AVERAGE as not to give a team that starts late or misses races an advantage. Point average can change in one race. It actually improves driver quality. The slower cars get practice driving traffic thus learning how to hold a line and the fast guys learn how to use the entire track to pass. Fact is a fast car can run a poor line and still be faster enough to pass a slower car. Yes Im sure Greg and I can attest to that as we have both had to do this in a large field.It will not cause more wrecks especially if you consider for heats there are far fewer cars. It also allows a slower (hate that description) group of cars to have a shot of winning something. I have seen this become exciting for fans of lesser funded teams. Heats don't pay anything so why not have people race their peers. But can you pass in the dirt without a stop and go penalty?

Over this off season so far and the next couple months STS, its management and officials will be reviewing needs, changes and upgrades. Like any business the topics will have to be prioritize what we can do emmidiately, what can we afford and who we put in place to get the job done.

This is what we have in place;

Ownership that not only cares but is attempting new bold ideas for the betterment of local racing.

We have the makings of a strong officiating scoring team.

We have a large base of drivers with tons of passion and desire.

Over the next couple weeks myself and Ted will be meeting to go over what we call "The Show". This obviously centers around the drivers and fans on race night.

I am hoping to open the floor so we may be given ideas from your perspective on an issue you would like to see added or done better.

Please don't write a book or list generic topics. Give me one idea you have. Something you dreamed up or seen at a track before. Something that we can sit down, read and discuss. I don't want to relive any past issues but to move forward with a better more positive program then previously. Example: When do you prefer to do hotlaps before races or during your heat prior to the start?

This is the type of feedback I would like to hear. Keep it short, sweet and professional. If you do your part in assisting us we will do our part and look at all the input from you guys. Also as far as the obvious goes we know you want racing to be done early, more purse and less expenses. Give us something big or small that we can consider for 2016...

Thanks in advance for being professional and respectful.... OK go....

Archived