2016 Rules Discussion

Drivers and crew,

I know that some of you like our new rules and some of you do not. That's always the case. However if you have a direct question about why we did or did not do something ask me below. I have some time today to answer some questions. Please keep it civil or I will stop. I am trying to have a open communication with you. Where do you want to start. Also please advise if you are a driver, crew or fan please.

Ken Hobbs

Driver in pure stock maybe bomber and father to emod driver .

Can we make the emod roof optional and what if we choose to leave the roof on ?

On bombers did you ever find out on wheels and carberators on wheels just having the same offset all the way and on carberators is possible to run the 2 bbl on 4 bbl intake

Bronco,

Actually we discussed several options with the roof for emod, some being leaving the roof and just taking off sail panels etc. We felt like you either do it or you don't has a rule. I really believe after a race or two this will be a nonissue.

I am going to send Ted a text and have him address with you your bomber questions. I hope I can get him on here soon.

Ken Hobbs

I still don't understand I guess on why the emods. The class was growing rapidly with the original rules package simply because it was economical for those who wanted to race a modified but didn't have the money to compete in the limited it was the best of both worlds. It put on good racing and a good show why try to change what isn't broken.

Eric5A,

This is not about the racing or the class growing. I think that will not be affected. Its about the fans. The fans need to see something new, exciting. That's what this brings. When we have fans that are excited we have more money. More Money means more pay. Remember more than anything this is a entertainment venue. We must entertain!

The only way we can compete with C.C. hooks and Fury etc is we must entertain.

Do you know how many people I meet everyday that say I used to go the track when I was a kid. They don't come anymore. Why?? Its because the show is not entertaining enough! As a Promoter I must use anything I can to pack the seats. That is what I am doing.

Ken Hobbs

Bronco,

Wheels - same offset all way around, 3 inch, what I have in mind on these cars is the white wagon wheel style wheels, cheap/heavy duty.

I understand cheap may depend on how many wheels you have laying around, but we have to look at whole picture.

Carburetor - I do not have a problem with a 4412 or OEM 2 barrel (no modifications) with adapter, OK.

Eric,might as well comply.A lot of us don't like it I know. Personally I think they should do it to the LLM's. I say weld you a plate in the halo , give it a shot and see how it feels.If you or anyone else feels uncomfortable still then park the car.The risk you take doing that is the track could drop the class then you are stuck with nowhere to go except STP .I agree if it ain't broke don't fix it but the choice is simple,adjust or park and since E-Mods in this area have no leverage choice seems simple if you wanna race. As for more excited fans the thing I miss the most at STS is the 24+ car counts we used to have in Sportmods.Heck most nights Shady Oaks had more the past year or two.THAT is the area I'd like to see addressed speaking as a fan.I saw IMCA racing a lot last year at CBS and it was great! I'm planning to visit HOT on a Friday then KRP on the next Sat. this year. The things I notice about these three tracks is huge car counts ,usually well over a 100. And they are all IMCA . Something to think about I would say.

Just don't flip the car because your arms and hands will go outside the halo seen it happen and a buddy of mine is missing fingers from the top of pipe smashing his hand on the ground, why do you think sprint cars drivers wear arm restraints All I can say if you don't like the rule run with the limited mods it pays more anyways all you need is tires and a spoiler or park the car and will all go fishing

Well here we go. "my way or the highway" and "if you don't like it, park it!" attitude is a disease the starts slow but has unlimited growth. This issue is between track officials and the participants involved and should not be a witch hunt. The people involved need to petition the track for any issues especially on safety I understand why the track wants a variety and perhaps you E mod drivers can come up with an alternative like perhaps an inexpensive roof wing like sprints or some other look.

Now speaking to the track for myself I would like to know where the Compacts stand. If its just "we will race you if you have enough" we are destined for a dismal show at best. Without the support and backing of the STS promoters theres little to use to sell our program. This is a real shame if the show is whats important because a complete segment is left out. I understand little is known about these cars and the people that race them but its up to you to learn and make a sellable show. Few Compact racers will ever race anything else for many reasons so remember we are racing the cars people drive on the roads today and can identify with. The mechanical knowledge needed is much different than whats considered the norm. When did a modified or late model loose a race because of a bad map sensor or crank angle sensor? How do you adjust crossweight for a FWD? Its relatively new science that eventually will be for all cars that race.

We cannot promote ourselves. I know you gave us a possible but unattainable nice purse but that by itself is not enough. We need you to make us YOUR series that you respect and see favorably. Our success in years past was mostly because the promoter got behind us and boosted the series. We cant just wander around with no direction. Compact racers take their racing as serious as any series racer. Don't forget about us.

To All,

It has been nice talking with you all today. Remember, I know the roof thing might be different but if you feel the need there are lots of options you can do if you feel you need too. Arm restraints, Enclosed Halo or netting will all help.

We will be glad to work with you always to make sure everyone is safe and welcome at South Texas Speedway.

See you at the banquet!!! January 23rd.

Ken Hobbs

Thumper,

I am on board with you with the Sport Compact Class.

We need your help, I do not know jack squat about the sport compact class - not a clue

Here are some questions I have:

• Is this a class you simply remove all glass, plastic, combustibles add a cage and start racing?
  • Do you also allow rear wheel drives or only front wheel drives? (#Front runners I've heard them called).
  • Do you allow racing tires or DOT and what series.
  • Do you allow engine/suspension modifications?

What rule package would you guys prefer?

Have you checked IMCA Sport Compact Rules Package?

What do you think?

Give me something and lets get the class up to speed!

Yeah, right....they rushed to get that roof off!! Lol...

No kidding Ken, Lol. I am going to go over there and petition them to change their successful racing program and just do something absolutely ridiculous! Lol Maybe we can strap a live monkey to the cars or something. Lol.. that would be awesome to watch...Lol. Crowd pleaser! Lol

As you can tell I don't think this is a joking.. Lol.. matter...

Flyin 34,

I never did think it was either. However I didn't make a threat, You want to run RC cars go right ahead.

I'll continue my work and my money I might add on making a race track a success. Something that very few people have been able to do. This track is my work, my passion takes up all my time. I do it for love and the friends I meet and the families that make lasting memories. What I wont stand for is threats.

Ken Hobbs

Obviously the E-Mod teams were not consulted about this.On Ken's side it seems to be no big deal.On the racers side it seems to be a big deal.From this fans side all I want is a track to go to that will give me good racing.I think most fans want just that. I'm old school which means I don't like gimmicks.That is the reason I don't watch NASCAR anymore.For the record as a fan I'm not sure I like liquor at a race track either.Seems to me to open the door to bad behavior unless the servers are on the ball.Bottom line , and I think I speak for most fans,I just want good racing with good car counts.Like it was before.Ken is thinking out of the box which rubs old conservative farts like me the wrong way.Not picking on Ken as his the one before did some weird things too with the bomber class back then.People like me tend to resist change.I don't agree with some of this stuff but I am willing to give it a try.We can always step back.The thing to remember is STS is the Southern most track in the country.That in itself puts it in survivor mode.If SOS survives 2016 and goes IMCA for 2017 that option has to be on the table too.Doesn't make sense to me to be the only track outside of Dallas to be different. There is a lot to think about going forward.Bottom line is without cars going to the track we are all in trouble.Car count brings the fans.Advertising brings the fans.Corpus is a great market.Car count and good racing is the key,not gimmicks.

Archived