e-mod toppless

bronco

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a driver in this class for two yeas now. With the past season we've had and the pile ups and seeing my brothers car after it rolled over I think top less isn't the best of ideas. I really hope this rule is changed. I for one am not for this rule. I really hope sts rethinks this strategy and how it will effect the class. Topless is the last thing we need to be doing in this class

"We tried very hard to make as few changes as possible. I truly believe every rule we changed was for the benefit of you and the fans. We tried to take our time and discuss every issue in depth." This was posted by Ken Hobbs about the 2016 rules. How does the no roof benefit the drivers or the fans in the emods. I put the bodies on our cars and I take pride in how the look. Race cars have roofs on them. Safety and pride and appearance.

Sorry Guys I could not get on here last night!

First lets seperate fact from Myth. Topless cars are used at many tracks and series including UMP Modifieds, STEM series, and many other places. It is a crowd pleaser. Their has been no evidence that removing the top is a safety issue in any way. On the contrary it can be a safety advantage. Last year when we had to remove a young lady from her car through the roof, we could have been about 10 minutes quicker if the roof did not have to be cut off. 10 minutes can be the difference in life and death. If I had believed in any way this was a safety concern and people could get hurt we would never go this way.

Secondly this class has no pazaaz. It is not the fastest class or even the loudest class. It looks to much like slow Southern SportMods. By making this class topless the fans will recognize it right away, It means the class is something special. People will be drawn to watch the great racing it holds. Fans will be intrigued and they are more likely to come to South Texas Speedway,

I believe this can become the most popular series at our track. I hope that in the long run you can embrace it. Add some bright gloves or helmet. Maybe add hair to your helmet. DO something to please the fans,

After all, My business is to put on a show for the fans, pack the stands and provide great racing. This rule will accomplish that. This cost you nothing but can make your sponsors and fans recognize how special this class is.

Ken Hobbs

No pazaaz!! Sport compacts have zero pazaaz , take the tops off of them!Take them off Limited Late Models as they don't have much of a roof anyway. You are getting big push back because most of this class is under 20 and their parents are being responseable to protect their kids in every way possible. And you are right about taking 10 minutes to cut off a mod roof. Maybe the tool to do that quickly was missing in the tool kit. As a fan all I'm looking for is good racing and good car count..And yes topless is fun to watch I will admit that . But the mods look WAY better with a full roof. It is just the wrong class.Do it with the LLM's as the visibility to the fans is greater and they need pazaaz too! Well , E-Mods you gotta choice to make it seems. You don't have anywhere else to run these cars and it is a shame since this is the only class at STS that is growing. As a fan I hope you stay as I like everything about the class.

True. Just saying when you are dealing with 13-18 year olds full roofs SEEM safer than without , true are not.Looking at it from a parents point of view and is why I think it is the wrong class.Having said that I hope E-Mod doesn't become age restrictive because I think E-Mod is the best class for that age group.

Arob,

No we are not going to age restrictions beyond what we have. If their is ever a case in any class where any rule ends up endangering our drivers we will make a change. This has been done at STS in the past. It is not something new to racing. It my opinion the roof gives false security. It may make you feel better but does little to actually protect.

Ken Hobbs

I agree with arob. This class was growing rapidly with the way the rules were. This still in my opinion wasn't a good move. I think allowing another tire to run and giving an option was a good idea maybe do that instead of making it mandatory let the ones who want to run top less run top less and the ones who want the roof let them run the roof. There's a lot of pride and craftsmanship put into making these bodies. Plus arob is right fans want close racing that keeps you on the edge of your seat not pazaaz.

With all do respect. It your track and your rules . But as a parents it our responsibility to look out for our children no matter how old they are 16 or 47 . This was going to be son first yr racing he was excited about racing . But I told him about the no tops and he seems kinda worried about now . I know I am just one car which would not mean anything . I just wish it could have been another class instead of a beginner class. Jmo

Archived