Fillip Mystery car

fabrizio

Corey and Chet Fillip are still around. They have a thriving shock business in Indianapolis.

It is Advance racing Suspension, advancedracingsuspension.com is where I would start. Go straight to the source

I remember the car but don't know its racing history or whereabouts.

The car is a basic dirt late model of that era; Lots of racers were experimenting with roof heights in the low 40 inch range, even on asphalt.

The story here seems to center around the engine. If a racecar had Circle Bar sponsorship, it had a Ford engine. As some of you know, Circle Bar was Tom Mitchell's truck stop outside of Ozona. Tom's big money was in land, oil and other west Texas ventures. Tom's playtime centered around all manner of fast machines, pickups, motorcycles, boats, and the sponsorship of many racecars.

Tom was huge on Ford, as you can see in that museum outside the truck stop. (I assume it is still there; hopefully the family has not removed it after Tom

's passing).

Tom sponsored the Fillip family in many different ventures, including NASCAR and Indy cars. You can also count San Antonio veteran John Kelly in that mix in the TIDA and All Pro series. Alabama veteran Rick Crawford would inherit the ALL PRO ride, and later drive for Mitchell in the NASCAR truck series until a few years back.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Mitchell, The owner of Circle Bar truck stop outside of Ozona also sponsored some of Chet's cars for Texas Race of Champions and Texas Grand TIDA-LM events at Texas World Speedway.

At several TWS races, Marvin Fillip provided sales and service with his well equipped parts trailer. He was a big help to many TIDA-LM and Pro Sedan entries.

Neil Upchurch

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Would enjoy finding whereabouts of the Fillips Automotive family from San Angelo. Became friends with Marvin and he stayed when he did show in Houston back in late 80's. I was a drag racer turned oval. And Marvin taught me more than I can ever repay. Went one yr to visit him and he had a hidden upstairs he called the lions den. Trophies to his Indy 500 ring he showed to very few. He had even the first mint condition Hot Rod magazine. Guys the room was full of belonging of his, Chet, and Corey's lifetimes of their achievements. And as for me and my brother..... Something that were every racers dream and what every little boy could only have dreamed and read about. It would take years for a man to go thru what was in Marvin's Lions Den. And a very proud man of his 2 sons, Chet and Corey. From a pic where they set the never beaten pole in a modified, to a pic of the all 3 of them standing by a modified Pinto. And in his huge buildings, he had a vehicle collection. Included a 10 doored yellow cab, to modified open wheel race cars. And more diverse part inventory than I could have imagined.

Haven't heard from Marvin for years. Had a series of health setbacks and lost contact. But wish I could talk and possibly meet with the 3 one day soon. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Dennis

Would enjoy finding whereabouts of the Fillips Automotive family from San Angelo. Became friends with Marvin and he stayed when he did show in Houston back in late 80's. I was a drag racer turned oval. And Marvin taught me more than I can ever repay. Went one yr to visit him and he had a hidden upstairs he called the lions den. Trophies to his Indy 500 ring he showed to very few. He had even the first mint condition Hot Rod magazine. Guys the room was full of belonging of his, Chet, and Corey's lifetimes of their achievements. And as for me and my brother..... Something that were every racers dream and what every little boy could only have dreamed and read about. It would take years for a man to go thru what was in Marvin's Lions Den. And a very proud man of his 2 sons, Chet and Corey. From a pic where they set the never beaten pole in a modified, to a pic of the all 3 of them standing by a modified Pinto. And in his huge buildings, he had a vehicle collection. Included a 10 doored yellow cab, to modified open wheel race cars. And more diverse part inventory than I could have imagined.

Haven't heard from Marvin for years. Had a series of health setbacks and lost contact. But wish I could talk and possibly meet with the 3 one day soon. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Dennis

I gather from the post that you don't know but Marvin past away a few years back. It was a sad loss for many racers.

That museum in Ozona is actually part of the Circle Bar truck stop business,which was the late Tom Mitchell. You will see Chet's name there due to the long time relationship between Mitchell and the Fillips.

I actually stopped at the truck stop last year coming back from racing in Odessa. The museum is still there the cars are still inside but look like the grass had been growing up around the building. The truck stop looked like it had been taken over by arabs. They were definitely taking advantage being the only fuel stop around. I know I paid almost .65 more for a gallon of gas then what it cost in the next town.

Archived