Compacts

thumper

Probably not good timing but 2 of our most vocal sideline contributors suggest that if we adopted the Cotton Bowl rules for Compacts our class would flourish. I reply that eliminating any of our current teams would be counter productive. Currently nobody can find the last printed rules from 2013.

We are a cross between a Sport Compact class with chassis tuning (unlike the other tracks that run compact bombers) and old school mini stocks. My contention is bring out all cars, then design a set of rules that fits everybody just like the Pro Sedans have been doing for 40 years.

What does anybody else think? Too soon?

We didn't say adopt CBS rules, just a defined set of rules like...Anyhow, we both know you're passionate about the class and it is respected and appreciated. Sideline? Maybe, maybe not but I can guarantee you neither one of us wants to see a track close so we need all classes that track runs to be successful. The point was the car counts are low and there's a gap in performance which leads to a bad combination for fan's appreciation. As for suggesting specific rules, yes that should be done by the drivers in that class and really, I hope you can get your class to grow. A competitive class of 10-12 or more will make it interesting for fans and viable for track management. Nothing said was in any personal disrespect towards you or any SC drivers. I plan on racing most of the STS events next season and do hope you guys have a place to race too. More the merrier so hopefully the issues on car counts can be resolved for you. With that, good luck Thumper and the other SC guys/gals work with each other and figure out how to make your class better for all involved from a fan, Pure Stock driver and official, see you in 2016 with a great year for all of us.

put the gun away? these guys are huge supporters of local area racing of all classes , and I agree that I'm VERY surprised that Ken even is allowing them back along with the LLM's IF THERE ARE SO MANY MINI'S AROUND WHERE ARE THEY CAUSE MOST NIGHTS IT'S BEEN 5 MAYBE 6 ....I know your passionate about your class but this class needs something to make it.

and Happy Thanksgiving to ALL !!

This is the last thing I'm gonna say. I was offering what I honestly thought would help the class ,a set of rules.

What have the SC's been told for years now? Just bring it out, rules will be defined later. Now if I wanted to build a car what is the first thing I would ask for? What are the rules? If I get an answer like just bring it there are no rules now I won't be building one.

Look I want it to grow. It has been stuck at 6 cars for a long time now. During that time there have been no rules that I know of or at least since 2012 since 2013's are missing.

Drivers should have imput but should not develop their own rules.That is up to the track to dictate what kind of class they want. I only brought up Cotton Bowl because it is the closest dirt track that runs the class.

I respect EVERYONE who takes the time and effort to build a car, regardless of class. And my opinions are rooted from a fan point of view. And as a fan I'm saying what has been going on in SC's at STS ain't working and I feel a set of rules would go a long way to fix that. I loved mini stocks at CCS, liked them when TRP was open, it was a good class at RGS. I don't hate the class. I was excited to see what STP would bring.There was some good cars there,especially the black8. That is what we need more of.

The days of race tracks being all inclusive are if not over but tough to do.They can't subsidize every class. A dirt track Sport compact series or sponsorship is a great idea. If everyone is on the same page with a set of rules.

Compacts have had rules since their inception in 2012. Before that Owen tried to develop a frontrunner class and had 0 interest. Thunder cars ( the class that began at RGS in 1992 and later was adopted by CCS in 2000) had a good following, great at times but each time somebody thought it a great idea to start wholesale rule changes. This was usually done by the next promoter wanting to alter the predictable outcome. RGS became their own enemy and are now gone forever. CCS did not fare any better with their actions and have trouble getting full fields of ANY cars.

Believe it or not the idea for Sport Compacts came from IMCA as they have this division. Owen"s idea was to do like sport mods and use most of their rules but some changes to work for Corpus people. With the bad taste from both mini stocks and Thunder Cars it seemed a new approach was the best course of action. What inadvertently happened was all 3 sets of rules (sport compacts rules were revised in 2013 to accommodate more teams) these rules repelled more 4 cyl racers from the past but failed to attract the new blood that would take advantage of the factory hot rods the factory builds for us today. Sport Compacts ARE a big deal up north from bone stock to highly modified and right now there are big shows either finishing or about to. In Georga the big race at Screven's has moved to March and pays $11,000 to win. At Travelers Raceway last Saturday in South Carolina the Compacts raced for $5,000 and a stock bodied Acura RSX won from a 60 car field. And here? Yes 6 car average although not the same 6 every time.Why?

Remember the demise for minnies in the past were attributed to management changes. Here at STS the new compact series was just beginning to gain intrest when again we were hit with a change of management. Our 2013 rules were lost or not passed on and our new promoter was unsure of what to do with us.For 2014 we kept the open invitation for all tracks to see where we would go. For 2015 we were cut to only 4 races and lost part of them due to weather. At years end we were told we are removed entirely. No rules, no future, how do you create new interest especially when the thinking is only a V8 is a race car? we had no posted purse for 2 years. Thanks to Ken we always did get paid, thanks for that.

Where are we today? Again its an uphill battle but with 9 races plus the inclusion of Getshasome we are seeing a slight interest again. Our class needs leadership and promoting from someone who knows what the people in this class are really like. There unlike any other group Throwing another set of rules will not fix this deal, it will only run off the few we have now. Our 2013 and 2014 track champ tried to go to Cotton bowl to draw intrest to our series but was DQed for an air cleaner.He tried again at CCS and was DQed for something about front brakes. These tracks showed no interest working with Corpus Compacts. He did race with some of these people in Waco and had no issues.

Ive been open to any serious promoting ideas but have heard only ridicule about how we are not interesting. Prehaps we should be dropped. I think of the few faces that are really excited to be a part and get saddened from this aspect. I subscribe to many compact series pages on Facebook and see how successful they are. Why cant we have a little of that here?

In 2012 I sold my business and everything went into boxes. In 2014 my computer crashed and I lost all data. Somewhere I will find our last set of rules, perhaps here on Speedzone somewhere and post them for something to build on. Every car right now is legal to those rules, some might need minor changes only.

Something will be put together for 2016 I believe. It just needs to be done carefully.

Josh, I don't have interest in racing a pure stock and cant afford a modified. I already gave my retirement speech when we were removed but now as long as there are new compact racers to help, Im there.

GB Carter asked me to post this for him:

2013 Sport Compact Rules

Preface:

The South Texas Sport Compact class is being offered as an easy class to get started in, while still allowing for some adjustability to learn the basics of oval track racing. The cost is kept affordable by using the cars on the roads today, much like racing thirty years ago. These are not junk cars they are factory cars we race. The class is open to anyone and everyone so come join the FUN.

Vehicle Style:
Any car or pick up that came OEM with a 4 cylinder engine, naturally aspirated. No two seat or convertible models allowed, can be a 2 or 4 door, coupe, sedan, hatch back, station wagon or small truck. All glass, plastic, moldings, etc. must be removed from the outside. Upholstery & extra seats must be removed from the inside. Dash, heater & A/C, components can optionally be removed, but the fire wall must remain sealed. No sheet metal may be removed, no body cutting, and no lightening. Wings, spoilers, and ground effects may be added for looks.

Safety:
A Single rollover bar with 2 down bars to the rear, minimum 1 ½” dia. and .095 wall thickness must be installed. A ¼” thick and 12” tall plate, bolted with ½” bolts to external left front door, extending past door post, front & rear. Option is a full four point cage with Min. 3 door bars on left and minimum 2 on right. Doors may be gutted for door bars. Front & rear loops are allowed but are optional. Driver’s door window net required, with latch on top front corner. 2lb fire extinguisher with gauge recommended to be within reach of driver. Kill switch on left dash area to kill engine and electric fuel pump. Stock bucket seat can be used but an aluminum racing seat is recommended. No plastic or fiberglass seats allowed. Must have bar to support back of seat. Min. 4 point racing seatbelts, 3” wide, securely mounted with ½” bolts. Windshield area in front of driver must have min. of three ¼” rods welded in for protection plus we recommend an Earnhart bar or metal strap in center of windshield.

Steering:
All steering components must remain OEM. Qucik connect steering wheel optional.

Engine:
Engines must be stock and in stock location. May use solid mounts or safety chains. Header is optional. No other upgrades. Must pull 15 inches of vacuum at idle. Pump gas only no racing fuel AV gas or Methanol. No turbos or super chargers. Radiators can be aftermarket and are optional in size and design, but must be located in original location. Automatic transmission external coolers can be mounted in front of radiator but behind grill area.

Battery:
Battery mounted at firewall may remain but battery mounted on radiator support must be moved to rear seat area, sealed off from drivers and securely mounted. May use marine type battery box and metal straps.

Fuel Tank:
Stock tank mounted in front of rear axle can remain but must have skid plate minimum 1/8” thick, below it. Tanks behind rear axle must be changed to smaller metal tank or fuel cell, 8 gallon max and sealed from driver. In line electric fuel pump can be used with fuel cell but must be sealed from driver. All electric pumps must stop when engine dies.

Transmission:
All entries may use factory standard or automatic transmission. No racing parts allowed factory clutch assembly required.

Suspension:
No racing parts allowed. Springs may be shortened. Spring rubbers are allowed but must be OEM springs, shocks, and all other suspension pieces. No moving of mounting points but camber can be adjusted, front and rear.

Wheels and Tires:
Any steel or factory aluminum wheel, no wider than 7”. Any diameter 13” to 17”. Any combination is allowed. Tires cannot be wider than 205 but can be 50-75 aspect ratio. Size and treadwear to be highlighted in white for easy track inspection.

Brakes:
All four wheels OEM only all must work.

Ballast Weight:
Any added weight must be securely mounted, painted white and have car number on it.

Claim Rule:
To keep equality in the cars, there will be a claim rule on entire car, less drivers safety items. Claim can be made by other drivers or Race Director. Claim amount is $2500 cash or $1250 with trade. Seller has option. Top four cars can be claimed by 5th on back as long as claimer was on lead lap at end of event. Cash only. Buyer’s car must be in good working order for trade. First refusal to sell will mean loss of money for that night and all points for the year. Second refusal same as first plus 2 week suspension.

Well now you know why there has been an open invitation for all mini stocks, ecos, Thunder cars, and yes even Pro Sedans with the huge engines. These rules were designed to be a guide for new cars which are few. The big race on the 12th is an independent promotion and not regulated by STS Speedway.

I said I would find a copy of the rules to satisfy those who think we are a full outlaw series. We just found the open invitation afforded more cars. The track itself is a big equalizer as you well know Mike. I believe the thinking was when the field got big enough with new cars enforcement would begin to chime in. I don't speak with any authority, just my observations. Its up to Ken to direct us next year. My guess is the current cars would be grandfathered. I will try to open dialogue with the current management and pass on any relevant information.

For now anybody who wants to race the big show still has a good chance for success. In 30 laps a good car CAN make it to the front and win. Lets hope Mother Nature will smile on next weekend.

a v8 would be fun .but in all serious this class is a hard one to fit a set of rules for ..the only real way to build this class is something like cts rules are and that would keep all the current carb motors and most mini stock that are still laying around the back yard ...you know pintos mustangs rabbits and so forth .it would have to go the way of fuel injected only in order to really have a great and long lasting class that could build .but you also need the younger folks interested in the class .right now those fuel injected cars cant keep up with the carb cars on the average . I know some will not agree with me on that ..but it is what it is so far that class has not grown ...look at those tracks that do have a large class of mini stock ..you wont see a carb car pintos mustangs vws and such ..that's the reality ..go ahead gb lower the hammer on me . :D

Well what ever set of rules you settle on some people are going to be left out.Now when you are only dealing with 6-8 cars to begin with no big deal.I say go with the rules that would leave G.B. in.The guy has put his heart and soul into the class so that counts for something.The 4,5 and 8 are close now so the class should build off what they are doing.Having said that the other way to go is a "bomber compact" class.The upside to that is where it is used the car counts are higher (CTS and CBS).Whatever NOW is the time to decide.Can't go on the way it is.

Rules yes have them. But also enforce them. Teching is what needs to be done. If this is done I will put another car on track next season and probably another mid season. It discourages young new drivers to get into the sport of racing knowing when a certain car shows up they might as well pack up. I could put a v8 in a car and win every race and no one would even no it.sport compact is a coat efficient beginner class anyway. I say tech where everyone can have a chance at a checkered flag. Tech tech tech. The class will grow. I'm not reflecting any of my opinions towards any person or car. Just voicing my opinion to try and get the class to grow and have a chance for younger drivers to be encouraged to race. Thanks again and I hope this class grows. I will help it grow if rules are placed and Teching enforced.

Well Im confused now. Is this a set of rules or not? Is it clear enough to build a new competitive car or does someone have a better set? If so, petition the track to use yours.

A fuel injected car cant run with the Ford and VW dinosaurs? Somebody forgot to tell Will, #14 Neon and Rick, #44 Neon and Todd, forgot his number on the Acura that dominated. Would these cars have fit these 2013 rules? Absolutely.

If you researched the compacts up north you find that every track has one brand considered to be "dominate" The VWs and Fords are not them. What you will find is the Fords have become known as mini stocks and are special built, high horsepower late model style race cars while the Compacts are usually FWD lead by Saturn's, Hondas, Cavaliers, and yes Neons. Today they are considered two separate classes of cars. The North East Ministock series is almost all Fords while the Voorhees Traveling Compact Series is almost all FWD.

The previous director of STS did try to start a class exactly like CTS and Cotton Bowl for 2 years and got 0 cars, nobody was interested in racing a 4 cyl bomber. That's why the Compact idea was born. It is loosely drawn from IMCA Sport Compacts (its real and has LOTS of rules) plus items from the other nearby tracks.

The ultimate car under these rules is a modern 4 cyl sporty car with a powerful engine. While the Fords struggle making 150 or so HP and the VWs are good to hit 125 with hi compression and huge cams, the factory builds many cars with near 200 hp and more. Lets say an Eclipse with say 180 hp or a Prelude with an H22 with over 200 hp along with a sports car suspension from the factory AND track tuned for oval track racing. Its the twin cams, adjustable cam timing and 4 valves per cyl that make the modern car superior. The problem is the guys that know this are not racing these anymore and nobody new is. The big difference is the cost to be fast is in the choice of doner car rather then the parts needed to go fast.The only one that understands is Charley Powell and he hung up his helmet due to parenting responsibilities.

So lets go. Post the rules you think will "save the series" and get new cars. Or actually READ the current rules and make suggestions. Otherwise you sound like Republicans, don't like anything but don't have a solution.

Just a reminder that "beginner" thing is what killed a very successful Thunder Car series as track officials started throwing out the fastest cars not in their "click" Seems there are many definitions

Its good the talking begins so read the last rules and comment on them. They were revised from 2012 already.

Eventually you will realize the problem is the image from the other series plus the lack of strong leadership and serious promotion. A series will not grow itself. South Texas Promotion has given us a shot in the arm. Take advantage of it!

I will quit after the Getsha$ome race if you guarantee that will make the series grow! I have always said that.

• 4 weeks later...

I came from Cts and decided to just run STS! Great facility and it's an awesome track. Yeah there aren't many of us but we all have I have our own kind of fun. thw class is fun and I know of several coming and a few that put on here that are gonna show up so the car count is gonna be close to 10-12. I say make you car to fit the 2013 rules so if they ever do tech us you will be legal.

Archived