Lowes Home Improvement 250 @ Central Texas Speedway 8-29-15

Lowes Home Improvement 250 @ Central Texas Speedway, 8/29/15

By JM Hallas

Kyle, Tx.,(Aug. 29Th, 2015).and a full moon night of racing.

Yes, it was a full moon as Central Texas Speedway, the semi-banked, 3/8 mile, paved, oval, ran it's Lowes Home Improvement 250 Saturday. Eleven classes were in action featuring the Pro Late Models, NAPA Trucks, Pro Modifieds, Super Street Stocks, Fox's Pizza Den Grand Stocks, Texas Pro Sedans, Lone Star Legacy Series, Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas, Sport Compacts, Bandoleros and Legends.

The Pro Late Models, Modifieds, NAPA Trucks, Super Street Stocks and Texas Pro Sedans would run qualifying to set their fields for feature events. Other classes would set their line ups by way of heat races or draw for position.

It started out as just another hot Texas day for practice in all classes followed by a meet and greet on-track autograph session before the nights main events fired off. Did I mention, under a full moon? Several of the races turned out like typical full moon races, crazy.

Racers, crew and fans, as always, were free to roam the midway full of vendors with displays and food, including the Krispy Kreme Spare Tire Doughnut party before opening ceremonies. Live entertainment in the Carbar featured JT Coldfire, with the Pirate Energy after party held in the Sanbar after the races.

Maiden Voyage Nets Roper Late Model Win

It's not often you have parts of racecar all over your shop during the week, then find your way to the Winners Circle Saturday night, but Cory Roper and team did just that. Roper, who started near the back and then did a 360 on lap 1, used some 'Mad house' restarts to his advantage to regain track position. During that time Roper found his car ran good enough up top to get by Bayley Currey for the top spot near halfway.

Roper(Baytown) would give up the spot to Austin Wayne Self who then swapped the spot with Jared Fryer. Roper again picked the top on a late restart getting back by Self for the lead. He would then hold off Kyle Sirizotti and Self in the final laps to grab the victory in the family sponsored Preferred Industrial Contractors Inc., McGunegill powered GARC Chassis.

As the Pro Late Model field came to the initial green Clayton Green into the back of Zach Knowles sending him sliding to the infield. Jake Kruger got a good jump on the pack as green waved again chased by Fryer, Sirizotti, Currey and Knowles. Roper made a small circle on the back stretch but kept the power down only giving up ground to the field.

After a short door to door battle Sirizotti got by Fryer for second with Currey trying to make the high side work. The fights continued after a quick yellow for a spin by Mike Reininger with Currey staying outside of Kruger, Sirizotti and Fryer back at it and Self joining the party. Behind them Roper, Green and Cory Lovell were three trying to go three wide for sixth.

Green may have cut down a right front in that slugfest causing him to slap the front stretch wall on lap 19 for a caution. Currey picked the high side for the Madhouse restart and got the advantage when Kruger slipped off turn 2. Currey lead back to line on lap 20 before Reininger slid to the infield on lap 21 for a yellow.

Roper was first on the outside for the ensuing restart and worked past Currey to lead lap 22. Currey was then three wide with Fryer and Kruger losing several spots. At the crossed flags it was Roper, Fryer, Self, Currey and Lovell in the top five. Just as Fryer got the nose inside Roper for lead, Lovell went around for a lap 26 yellow.

Self went up top for the restart and got the lead on lap 27, but Fryer fought back keeping Self in the high groove and retook the point on lap 30. As those two continued to slug it out, Roper got past Kruger for third. Self used the front bumper to get Fryer loose on lap 40 and was out front on lap 41. Fryer wasn't happy and dumped Self in turn 2 for another yellow.

Roper picked the top again on the restart and made a quick charge to the lead again on lap 42. Caution waved on lap 43 when Kruger looped it collecting Self. Lovell went airborne over the hood of Currey as they hit the infield to avoid the wreck.

As the final green waved Sirizotti tried to use the high side on Roper, but was unable to get by with a three wide battle for third. Once they sorted out Self was able to by Sirizotti for second followed by Kruger to third. As the white flag waved, mercifully, Roper had three car lengths on Self as he snatched the victory.

From dead last to first is a chore, commented Roper. It took me all of 50 laps to get back up there. It was fun. That car right there is brand new. This is the first time it's ever been on the track. It was just a frame and body four days ago. I have notes from last year even though it was a different type car. We went off those notes, kind of knew what we had, what we didn't like and came here with a little different set up. About all we did today was change a right rear spring. I knew the car was fast. I qualified bad. It's been solid from the time we unloaded it. Once in your career you find a freak of nature and this car is it.

I didn't know if the outside was going to work on the restart. After spinning on the first lap we had a caution and I had no choice but to try out there and make up some of the ground. It just worked well with our set up. I was able to hang out there for several laps. From then on I thought, well it's pretty good up here. I could get off the corner better. If I was down low I'd have to baby it off because it was so loose. I was able to take off good, not miss a shift and get out front.

There was a lot of beatin' and bangin' out there. It was going on in front of me, beside me, behind me. It was a rough race. I don't know, it was a full moon.

post-34-0-97161600-1440967431_thumb.jpg

Texashighschoolfootball.com Pro Late Models(50 laps)

04 Cory Roper, 07 Austin Wayne Self, 96 Jake Kruger, 93 Kyle Sirizotti, 47g Jared Fryer, 61 Cory Lovell, 51 Zach Knowles, 5 Rusty Chambers, 05 Bayley Currey, 12 Mike Reininger, 54 Clayton Green

Texashighschoolfootball.com Pro Late Model qualifying

05 Bayley Currey 14.481, 96 Jake Kruger 14.579, 93 Kyle Sirizotti 14.615, 47g Jared Fryer 14.619, 51 Zach Knowles 14.642, 12 Mike Reininger 14.677, 54 Clayton Green 14.692, 04 Cory Roper 14.780, 07 Austin Wayne Self 14.788, 61 Cory Lovell 14.823, 5r Rusty Chambers 15.537

Aramendia Aces Modified Main

Fresh off a big win in Pensacola, veteran Joe Aramendia(San Antonio) put one of his new cars out front then held off charges from his nephew, Brian Moczygemba who hadn't lost at the track this year, and Dillon Spreen. On an early restart the leaders tried going three wide off turn 2, then bottle-necked up again in turns 3-4. This left Aramendia the opportunity to sneak through the mess and grab the lead from sixth.

On ensuing restarts Aramendia got pressure from Spreen, while Moczygemba gave his Uncle Joe a few taps as the laps clicked off. Moczygemba slipped giving second back to Spreen who ran Aramendia down but couldn't find a way past him as the Aramendia Plumbing, Premier Minerals, RPM Construction, Screen Pro Graphics, All In Designs, Alignment Right, BMF Chassis, grabbed the checkers.

A huge field of 17 Pro Modifieds took the green with fast timer and pole sitter Lawrence Mikulencak beating Dillon Spreen off turn 2 for the lead. Spreen ducked in line second trailed by Moczygemba, Aramendia while Logan Bearden and Michael Kourkoubes ran wheel to wheel for fifth. During a quick yellow for a spin by Jason Marshall, Bearden pitted ending his night.

On the restart it was three wide for the lead coming off turn 2, it still wasn't sorted out by turn 3 and Spreen made contact with Mikulencak getting him sideways and forcing the field to scatter. Aramendia dove to the bottom and came out of turn 4 with lead. Things still hadn't calmed down in turn 1 when Mikulencak finally went around with Marshall spinning to the infield avoiding him.

Aramendia was able to hold off Spreen as the race resumed. Moczygemba was able to get by Spreen for second while Billy Becka and Clayton Green were side by side for fourth. Becka finally got the spot with former USAC Silver Crown champ, Paul White getting fifth.

As Aramendia and Moczygemba began to pull away Bob Slezinsky and White made contact with Slezinsky jumping the front end of Whites car. The two tangled again in turn 3 with White going around clipping John Paul Kliewer for a caution near halfway. Spreen tried giving Aramendia a run on the restart but couldn't complete the pass. Moczygemba kept Spreen hung high and snagged second.

With five to go the top three were bumper to bumper until Moczygemba slipped a bit too high in turn 4 giving Spreen the chance to retake second. Spreen tried to reel in Aramendia in the final few laps, but closing to within a couple car lengths was as close as he could get as Aramendia picked up the win in only the second night in this car.

post-34-0-04292600-1440967453_thumb.jpg

I was very lucky, exclaimed Aramendia. I guess the good Lord was looking out for us. Those guys ran off into turn 3 and I didn't know what was going on, but they left a hole for me and I just stayed in it, drove through it and came out the other end. I think myself, Brian and Becka made it through then they kept wrecking in turn 1. I got to keep the spot and I'm happy with it. That's what got us the win right there.

I fully expect Brian to beat on my rear bumper. He had a really good car and it was definitely better than mine. I wish he would have finished second, but he ended up third. I'm happy with the night. I'd have been happier running second to him.

I wish I had a magic wand, but we have a pretty good baseline to go by when we race here. I've got a lot of years racing here and won a few championships. We hope to have Brian win one this year. That's a new car basically, only it's second night. The first was a double feature night that I won one of so this car has a 67% winning percentage already.

I don't know that it's nerve wracking watching Vinnie race, but it's exciting. I try not to jump around too much or wave him on. I love watching him race. He comes up after his race and wants to know he did. He tells me how he busted off a good lap and I can the excitement on his face, I really enjoy that part. He's doing good, won a championship a couple years ago and has won 4 or 5 in a row, I think.

Pro Modifieds(50 laps)

58 Joe Aramendia, 81d Dillon Spreen, 50 Brian Moczygemba, 14 Jason Marshall, 26 Bob Slezinsky, 22 John Paul Kliewer, 28 Kevin Wiseman, 2 Paul White, 81 Christopher Hogan, 98 Anthony Monroe, 12 Scooter Bates, 54 Clayton Green, 96 Lawrence Mikulencak, 0 Billy Becka, 4 Michael Kourkoubes, 8 DL Wilson, 66 Logan Bearden

Pro Modified qualifying

96 Lawrence Mikulencak 15.237, 81d Dillon Spreen 15.253, 50 Brian Moczygemba 15.278, 58 Joe Aramendia 15.315, 66 Logan Bearden 15.348, 4 Michael Kourkoubes 15.384, 0 Billy Becka 15.411, 14 Jason Marshall 15.440, 12 Scooter Bates 15.449, 2 Paul White 15.462, 54m Clayton Green 15.469, 22 John Paul Kliewer 15.585, 28 Kevin Wiseman 15.604, 81 Christopher Hogan 15.658, 26 Bob Slezinsky 15.784, 98 Anthony Monroe 15.774, 8 DL Wilson 16.119

Mikulencak Motors to First Ever NAPA Truck win

At first glance one might think, alright veteran Lawrence Mikulencak won, but not so fast my friend. Tonight was the night for young gun Marcus Mikulencak(Corpus Christi) to take home his inaugural NAPA Truck trophy. Driving a truck owned by Rick Pollaro, set up by John Heil and coached by his dad, Mikulencak was able to out snooker some long time racers on restarts and score the big win.

After a spin by fast qualifier, David Webster, Mikulencak used the high side to work his way past early leader Brandon Leonard after running side by side for two laps. Mikulencak then got the jump on Webster, Jake Wright and veteran Mark Chrudimsky, twice then ease away from past track champion, Cary Stapp and Jason Marshall to get the victory.

On the start of the NAPA Truck feature Stapp tried to hang on the outside with Leonard for the lead. Leonard finally secured the spot on lap 1 after Stapp slipped allowing Wright and Mikulencak to get by. Stapp and Webster were hung out on the high side until Webster went around in turn 3 for a caution.

Mikulencak picked the high side for the restart along with Chrudimsky and Webster. Mikulencak and Leonard ran side by side with Mikulencak getting the edge on lap 4 and after a little rubbing secured the top spot on lap 5 when caution waved for a few body parts on the track.

Cautions would breed cautions, as wrath of yellow flags broke out prompting officials the shorten the race due to time. During the numerous restarts Mikulencak used his dirt track style take off to keep the lead driving the Wild Child Motorsports, Rack in Motion, Ace Transmission, STX Coatings, MTA, Mission Racing powered, BMF Chassis to secure his win.

post-34-0-51565600-1440967475_thumb.jpg

It took a lot of patience, replied Mikulencak. A lot of help from Rick Pollaro giving me this great ride, John Heil for all the great work he's done and my dad for coaching me through the driving. This is the biggest win for me. In this NAPA Truck series there's a lot of good drivers. I'm very proud to be able to do what I can with the truck, and very thankful to everyone for the opportunity to do this.

I knew from running the dirt that starting the race at my pace was key. Getting a rolling start, keeping the momentum up at the start so I didn't have to shift and getting out on them when we got to the start box. I could just 'hammer down' and go.

Bill Kruger was spotting for me, he did a great job keeping me informed on what was going on behind me. My dad has helped me all week, Friday during practice, coaching me on how to get around the track a lot better. Getting me to move around the bottom side, stay down there, enter the corners just right. If you don't get that, your whole corner is gone.

NAPA Trucks

96 Marcus Mikulencak, 42 Jason Marshall, 99 Cary Stapp, 39 Mark Chrudimsky, 13 David Webster, 5 Kevin Gould, 29 Brandon Leonard, 48 Jake Wright, 14 Michelle Reininger, 51 Zach Nesloney--DQ(fighting)

NAPA Truck qualifying

13 David Webster 16.246, 48 Jake Wright 16.250, 99 Cary Stapp 16.279, 29 Brandon Leonard 16.285, 96 Marcus Mikulencak 16.291, 42 Jason Marshall 16.329, 39 Mark Chrudimsky 16.334, 14 Michelle Reininger 16.946, 5 Kevin Gould 16.992, 51 Zach Nesloney 17.057

Boerne's Barker Best in Super Street Stock Bout

Robert Barker was the class of the field in the Super Street Stock. After setting fast time in qualifying, the only one to break into the 15-second club, Barker started on the pole and led wire to wire in the RNB Services LLC, Mission Racing, Chevy. In a race dotted by cautions early and cut by five laps, Barker held steady on the bottom holding off all challenges on restarts, then Kenny Hurley at the finish who could get within a couple car lengths at the finish.

As the 26-car field took the green it got wild right away. Rick Pollaro went around and clipped Robert Walton as well as collecting Douglas Lestourgen with others stopping in the back up. Finally under green with Barker out front, Hurley and Brandon Spreen side by side for second while AJ Wernette ran along side Clint Lafont for fourth.

Hunter Montgomery followed Lafont past Wernette but went around off turn 2 for a caution. This set up a series of yellows that saw officials cut five laps off the event. As racing resumed it was Barker, Hurley, Lafont, Spreen and Levi Krauss coming to the halfway point.

As the race began to wind down to three to go Barker had about a car lengths advantage on Hurley, who had a gap back to Lafont and Spreen. Hurley came up short of catching Barker to challenge for the lead, but Spreen and Lafont battled to the end with Lafont ending up sliding off turn 4 and into the tire barrier as Barker was taking the checkers.

post-34-0-42309000-1440967492_thumb.jpg

Super Street Stocks Dilmak 20

17 Robert Barker, 40 Kenny Hurley, 88 Brandon Spreen, 32 Levi Krauss, 24 Paul Reyes, 19 Brent Reeves, 2 Darin Blevins, 49 Brian Schneider, 20 Jeff Wills, 4 Darin Kelly, 69 Rick Pollaro, 42 Tommy Casey, 45 Clare Randall, 80 Clint Lafont, 27 Douglas Lestourgen, 37 AJ Wernette, 36 Ed Natasi, 02c John Cornish, 95s Sterling Tausch, 28 Megan Lestourgen, 8 Ed Thompson, 18 Mickey McKim,, 15 Hunter Montgomery, 02 Doug Ayers, 10 Robert Walton, 54 Chance Nesloney---DQ(fighting)

Super Street Stock qualifying

17 Robert Barker 15.991, 88 Brandon Spreen 16.326, 69 Mike Pollaro 16.332, 40 Kenny Hurley 16.367, 80 Allen Alexander 16.398, 10 Robert Walton 16.520, 37 AJ Wernette 16.533, 15 Hunter Montgomery 16.578, 24 Paul Reyes 16.618, 20 Jeff Wills 16.652, 49 Brian Schneider 16.692, 36 Ed Nastasi 16.752, 19 Brent Reeves 16.796, 32 Levi Krauss 16.846, 2 Darin Blevins 16.915, 27 Douglas Lestourgen 16.940, 54 Chance Nesloney 17.190, 95s Sterling Tausch 17.350, 18 Mickey McKim 17.369, 28m Megan Lestourgen 17.494, 4 Darin Kelly 17.532, 45 Clare Randell 17.608, 42 Tommy Casey 17.679

It looked like the normally wild and crazy Grand Stock feature would live up to it's past during the first few laps. After that it became one of the cleanest races of the night. On the initial start Jamie Garner and Joe Martin found each other twice off turn 2 then Ivan Winningham got hooked with Casey Simon with both finding the turn 4 wall.

The next start saw Brandon McCall get out front with Smith, Scott Nester, Mike Farish ans Sean Folsom in pursuit. Smith quickly began putting the pressure on McCall and had just gotten by when Folsom, who had spun, pulled across the track trying to get to the pits. The caution negated the pass putting McCall back out front.

Once back to green, Smith again was challenging McCall and finally got by to lead lap 6. Smith then pulled away to big lead until a late yellow for a spin by Bob Caulfield erased her margin. On the restart, Farish was able to get by McCall but had no chance to catch Smith in the final few laps.

Fox's Den Pizza Grand Stocks(20 laps)

91 Marcia Smith, 88 Mike Farish, 14 Brandon McCall, 38+2 Dakota Hurley, 21 Clay Kennedy, 50 Jamie Garner, 71 Scott Nester, d30 Byron Reed, 13 Cooter Lynch, 3 Sean Folsom, 56 Bob Caulfield, 59 Casey Simon, 28 Joe Martin, 38 Donald Kinnaman jr., 46 Ivan Winningham, 15 Steve Keys

post-34-0-55463700-1440968580_thumb.jpg

The Texas Pro Sedan feature saw James Hogan jump out front and begin to run away from the field. Hogan had Jeff Meeks in tow for a bit, but was able to pull away and lap up to the sixth place car. A spin by Johnny Guerra erased Hogans margin, but he got a good jump on the restart with several lapped cars as buffers.

Hogan looked to be a runaway winner until Cesar Garrido found the front stretch wall. Under the yellow Hogan pitted from the lead with problems handing the spot to Sergio Hexsel. Meeks gave Hexsel a good look low on the restart, but Hexsel eased ahead for the victory.

post-34-0-51915300-1440968794_thumb.jpg

Texas Pro Sedans(25 laps)

20 Sergio Hexsel, 5 Jeff Meeks, 29 Johnny Guerra, 48 Mike Knotts, 59 Allen Garrido, 25 Sterling Beck, 1 James Hogan, 82 Josh McCain, 81 Cesar Garrido jr, 10 Bruce Mabrito, 01 Tommy Goldman, 28 Lisa Sandoval, 91 Cesar Garrido, 26 Lalo Leal

Texas Pro Sedan qualifying

20 Sergio Hexsel 16.929, 1 James Hogan 17.106, 5 Jeff Meeks 17.492, 29 Johnny Guerra 17.579, 48 Mike Knotts 17.715, 26 Lalo Leal 17.972, 81 Cesar Garrido jr. 18.346, 28 Lisa Sandoval 18.514, 59 Allen Garrido 19.774, 10 Bruce Mabrito 20.204, 91 Cesar Garrido 21.580

The Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas feature was a brutal event that saw several multi-car tangles. One involved so many cars that the only thing missing was Snow White to make it a children's story, though it didn't have a happy ending for some of the drivers, especially Kevin Hubbard who launched over the nose of Butch Havelka.

On the start, Rusty Young blew by everyone on the high side as he quickly made his way to the front from his mid-pack starting spot. R. Young got the lead on lap 3 from Jerry Young. Dwain Goff and Ryan Stoy made their way into the top three, but could do better than chase R. Young to the checkers.

post-34-0-49866900-1440968902_thumb.jpg

Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas(25 laps)

88 Rusty Young, 14 Dwain Goff, 20 Ryan Stoy, 72 Arden Vikre, 39 Matt Goulais, 31 Chase Havely, 4 Rodney Rodriguez, 18 Jerry Young, 15 Ty Paxson, 37 Drew Simental, 51 Jon Martin, 49 David Bonner, 12 Dillon Coyne, 44 Bradley Hall, 27 Butch Havelka, 3 Kevin Hubbard, 09 Grant Prejean, 54t Todd McLemore, 40 Michael Goulias, 21 Derek Scott jr.

DCRST heat winners; 12 Dillon Coyne, 54t Todd McLemore, 88 Rusty Young

It was a battle between two ladies in the Sport Compact feature with Delina Walker challenging pole sitter Alyson Dorken. Walker got around Dorken on a restart to lead lap 11. Russell Vickery broke up the ladies party getting by Dorken. With five to go the top three were nose to tail until Dorken began to fade leaving Vickery to give Walker a run at the finish. Walker was able keep Vickery at bay to snag the win.

post-34-0-09156000-1440968874_thumb.jpg

Sport Compacts(20 laps)

2 Delina Walker, 2x Russell Vickery, 42 Alyson Dorken, 11 Shelby Huff, 42 Daniel Zajac, 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Kelly Reininger, 71 Chris Wetz, 76 Eric Wilson, 5 Devon Surritt, 47 Don Hartwick, 7 Kris Wilson, 75 Teddy Wilson, 26 Stephanie Monroe, 31 Christopher Chambers, 4 Matthew Kempf

In the Lone Star Legacy feature Memphis Villarreal would go flag to flag for the win, but there was plenty of action behind him. Allen Sampson and Matthew Villarreal were both involved in incidents that had both sent to the tail. Not to be denied each of them made their way back to the front. A. Sampson gave Me. Villarreal a look up top, but lost the spot to Ma. Villarreal. A. Sampson was able to retake second, but Me. Villarreal was on his way to the victory.

post-34-0-23577900-1440968855_thumb.jpg

Lone Star Legacy Series(20 laps)

08 Memphis Villarreal, 01 Allen Sampson, 88 Matthew Villarreal, 32 James Huff, 1 Del Harris, 04 Dillon Sampson, 23 Alexis Leone, 61 James Remore, 19 Taylor Barclay, 10 Gabriel Fogg,

It was another green to checkers win for Coby Henslee in the Legands feature. Henslee got the jump on Tyson Goudy at the start and was pulling away when Goudy broke near halfway. Once back to green Henslee motored away from Gabbie Dubeau and Casey Runnestrand for the win.

post-34-0-78924800-1440968830_thumb.jpg

Legends(20 laps)

m-16 Coby Henslee, 48 Gabbie Dubeau, 55 Casey Runnestrand, 14 Roger Williams, Boo Tyson Goudy, 3c John Copeland, 50 Jamie Call

Legend heat winner; m-16 Coby Henslee

Vinnie Aramendia made it an Aramendia weekend double when he led flag to flag for the Bandolero feature win. Aramendia quickly pulled away from Kade Brown at the start giving him all the distance he needed to take home the hardware.

Bandoleros(12 laps)

79 Vinnie Aramendia, 99 Kade Brown, 260 Connor Chadwick, 34 Camryn Chadwick, 84 Levi Dubeau

Archived