early roll call.

BJ34

The one im driving has been on dirt but it was too low cause we didnt change it. Lisa drove her old car out there and didnt do bad. My dad drove Lisas 2 years ago and was finally figuring it out and going to the front until he got shoved over the berm and crushed the fuel line

EASY to over power that track with tps cars a ton of throttle control will be in order I had to do that in lisas car plus I did not know what I was doing for first time in that car on that track with no practice . be better to detune those motors if we had to run under 4000 rpms through the turns going to be a hard night ..and I heard tps cars have to run on slicks .now that could be interesting . pray for very dry slick .lol .

Just a quick comment. Regarding the factory stocks from the STP South Texas Nationals back in Goliad earlier this year. Due to the poor pure stock response we allowed the factory stocks to running their rules which included 10 inch slicks on 8 inch wheels. We will not be allowing that for the South Texas Getcha$ome in November. We used that opportunity to learn and we fill with this race being in corpus and their being plenty of local pure stocks 10 inch slicks will NOT be allowed. Any factory stock that races must use the STP Pure Stock Rule Package that is in place.

On the TPS we hope many many of them come and participate. We will consider what classes race in our STP races in the future based on attendance for the Getcha$ome race so in short car counts are important to be considered next big race. Any questions please let us know.

I have been on the road the last few weeks thus my silence.

As far as our race (the compacts) I have learned that 4 cyl racers are more concerned about HAVING a big race than who might be in it.As it looks now this might be the make or break race for many 4 cyl racers.The options are diminishing so anyone who passes this one up is giving up.

I have raced in many big ministock races in the past including Pro Sedans which I was grateful for the chance.But I also ran in big open comp races in Beaumont,Houston,Gator,Mcllen Corpus to name a few.In some cases I saw cars I could not even dream of.Others were so pristine a NASCAR team would be envious. I learned the best finish came when I ran what I always ran rather than trying some new power adder or tricked out suspension thing.In 2014 I finished 2nd against some big engine regular dirt devils that are fast with my same old Rabbit. The race dictates the outcome usually.The really big races with 3 grand or more to win were won by home track regulars that were going to win regardless.To me the event affords a wonderful opportunity to meet some wonderful people from far away places and made lasting friendships because of similar interests in our cars.I am old and faiding away but so is my series and that's tragic.

What the most astonishing is how the 4 cyl racers all over are overlooked or just ignored at the same time when tracks are struggling to keep the doors open. They pay the same price for pit passes and general seating for family and friends.Man theres an entire generation of potential racers wit very capable factory high performance cars that just are not at the oval tracks.They are,big time,at the drag strips because all diggers respect and admire all the other diggers.Oval trackers are about who has the shiniest or loudest not necessarily the talent itself.I personally know of many Minnie drivers who mistakenly went for the gold ring V8 car deal and regretted it.They now are retired from racing.They cant return to the series they enjoyed success with because of perception.It is demeaning to go "down" a class or 2. Phooey.

My advice to all promoters:your shinny noisy cars are the meat in the meal but your entry level classes are what rounds out the dinner.The dedicated 4 cyl racer will never be different from that,its about the cars they love,not how they hang.Take time to learn about them and make an honorable place for them and the overall evening can grow by 25 to 30 %.Go to the drags and see todays hot rods.Its not Holly,Hooker,Crane springs,cams,heads, its about turbos,no/x and the like.The factory builds the cars,why lean on dinosaurs?

Ok,theres a couple of weeks worth. You will never convince me that a modified is a better race car then a good mini or more fun.Its just different.

It is all about car count.4 cylinders at STS usually average around 6. Heck one night this year on a scheduled race ONE showed up. As for entry class it looks like the E-Mod is the class of choice.Look I know minis were really good at one time at CCS. They have never taken off at STS after years of trying.Tracks look at Sportmods,a fan favorite,with 15 + counts.Pure Stocks20+ counts.E-Mods the fastest growing with 15-20 counts. It's all in the numbers.

Thank you for making my point.Its is true that CC Speedway for several years had the largest car count in both mini stocks and Texas Thunder cars when both series were treated as a vial able serious racing series,not a kid or beginner series.This was also true at Rio Grande Speedway in McAllen when Mr Tasier decided he needed a 4 cyl series to compliment his successful modified and street stock series that venue saw over 25 cars regularly because it was affordable. In fact many big car teams also had a Thunder Car (ministock) team car with a matching paint scheme for their family member or pit crew when the budget allowed for only one flagship car.This allowed the family and pit crews to get a firsthand experience and created more loyalty to the team.

Every time I bring up whats missing somebody changes the discussion to choosing between series rather than expanding the the show.Again its "mine is bigger than yours" Fact is the times the minnies,thunders,etc had a 20 + line up was when the promoter actively promoted the series and the other race teams also got involved.Theres little today to entice new compact teams to STS and its mostly attitude,like arobs.Your forgetting your 15 mods were once 35 mods and pures were over 30 not that long ago.When it becomes less than 10 people will ask, "where did all the cars go?" Inclusion, not attitude has always spelled success while resentment has always results in despair.I have heard people say the compacts should be dumped at STS.I have personally seen how this attitude poisons the entire operation, from throwing out one team or an entire series.Most of those tracks are only a memory now.

I have experienced the successful times and the struggling times over the years for 4 cyl racers.All over Texas the 4 cyls are under attack from uninformed other racers while up north the compacts and minnystockers are flourishing.In Georga for example there a compact race that pays 10 grand to win every year.Since this thread is about the only big race the 4 cyl racers will have in Texas this year my hope is everybody will get behind this promoter and promotions planner to spark the growth of a sorely needed aspect for this facility.It would be fantastic to see some well known big car drivers to also enter this event to add creditability to the series in general.

To answer Brians question on roll call,I will be there and will bring as many racers from all over that I can, like always. Its just getting harder to find serieses to draw from as the huge car numbers are too far away in the north east.So please guys lets be positive and support this one big event least this series will fade away.Competetion between V8 cars and 4 cyl cars is like comparing your toes to your foot.

It would really be encouraging to see people write in with ideas about how to get the compacts fired up instead of all the time hearing negitave opinions.It sounds like the Presidential candidates,

If the Goliad guys support the STS race a 40 car field is a sure thing just from those two tracks.But I can count on one hand how many in the past SOS guys come . Jus sayin.

I agree...heck they didnt even race in the big race..!! dont know what or why!!!ill be there

Cam in my car went flat just before the STP race in goliad and I couldn't get another one fast enough. This next one I'll miss because of work I am running this weekend though

Archived