camaros in pure stock

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the way I understand it is a nova with short wheel base and the motor being somewhat more forward in the cradle does not get as much of an advantage in rear percentage numbers as a camero with a more rear cradle position....and I would assume back in the day when rules where written there was a lot of gray area so they just said no camero.... Again my opinion

A Camaro front end has better stock geometry and the stock rear spring configuration is very forgiving and predictable. The chassis and body combination provides a lower center of gravity, better front-to-rear weight distribution and less high-in-the-car weight than existing Pure Stocks unless that Pure Stock has been cheated up a bunch. Give me those three advantages and I'll show you a winning Pure Stock.

Not that any Pure Stock teams would cheat up their cars, but there are several well-known aftermarket companies sell "stock replacement" parts for Camaros that provide even better geometry than the legitimate GM replacement parts, sell a huge assortment of racing springs which are, again, supposedly "stock replacement" and also provide detailed setup information about their parts and spring/shock combinations to paying customers. Not only that, but they have been selling these supposedly stock parts for years and know all the tricks on how to keep nosy tech officials from identifying their cheated up parts. I wouldn't know about that personally, but I have heard reliable reports to that effect...

Simply put, if Camaros were made legal, the Pure Stock class would quickly become a Camaro class and the vast majority of existing Pure Stocks (except those few that have been cheated up in a big way) would be having fun at the back of the pack.

I've been around the sport (both asphalt and dirt, both in Texas and elsewhere) for a bunch of years and every time a "lower" class opens up the rules to allow Camaros, that class sooner or later becomes a Camaro class....

After that, the push is on for quick change rear ends, better engines since their Camaors now handle so well. Etc, etc, etc.

Nick

I don't think the track officials will find one person so special that they change the rules. Maybe you should sale the car and buy what is legal. Guess that makes to much sense. In other words I agree with Nick. We bought ours to meet the rules.

Back in the day there were a lot of camaros in the "pure stock" class. At least in the early '80s there were back when my dad was running them. But it evolved into the Street Stock class and then to a limited late model class.

I am not the track official that would answer rules questions but just wanted to say that I believe this car fits in our Classic rules package. Chris Shafer is the driver that is answering questions about this class. Please call him 361-935-7779.

Thanks, Rosemary

That class was created for those that chose not to run the shoutout rules and also combined the trucks to give then a place to race. Should do real well now with TRP shutdown. Maybe that camaro should run that class.

There's no plan to change the Pure Stock rules as they stand right now. The Camaro cars can build to the Street Stock rules or to the SOS Classic rules. For the Classics the rules are on our website and there is no plan to change those rules as they stand now. Street Stock rules can be found under the South Texas Street Stock Shootout. The Track Official has spoken.

Keith Stacy

Race Director

Archived