Dowell, Sheppard, Cosper, Roller Tx IMCA Nats. Champs at HOT Spwy 7-4-

Texas IMCA Nationals @ Heart o' Texas Speedway, 7/2-4, 2015

By JM Hallas

Waco, TX.,(July 4th, 2015) Happy 239th birthday America.

After a long night of racing, 48(12 per class) IMCA racers had punched their ticket to Saturday nights A-main event. The local Street Stocks, Factory Stocks and Jr. Mini Stocks also had drivers locked in for tonight's action on the ¼ mile, high-banked, dirt oval just north of town.

Everyone else was relegated to a final chance through last chance qualifiers to set each 24-car starting field in the IMCA classes. At stake was a final shot to make it in and shoot for the Texas IMCA Nationals trophy. All IMCA National, Regional, state and track points were also available. As an interesting twist the top six finishers would run a Pole Dash to set the first three rows of the A-mains.

Taking Friday night wins were Jason Batt(IMCA Modified), Robert Scrivner(IMCA Southern Sportmod), Charles Cosper(IMCA Stock Car), Andy Roller(IMCA Hobby Stock), Wade White(Street Stock), Ryan Hopkins(Factory Stock) and Cameron Cook(Jr. Mini Stock).

Dowell Dazzling in Modified Main

JP Dowell(Killeen) scored the big $1,500 payday in the IMCA Modified main event and made it look fairly easy, which of course it wasn't. Dowell, who won the pole dash, started from the front row and led every lap of the 25-lap main event.

In a race that went caution-free, Dowell beat Kevin Green from his outside front row position into turn 1. Justin Radcliff and former IMCA National Champion, Keith White both got by Green, but by that time Dowell had already checked out on the field.

Even lapped traffic didn't deter Dowell as he continued his domination dicing through slower cars. At the checkers Dowell, in his McGuire Trucking, Bell County Electric, Ellis Air Systems, VP Fuels, JWC, five1seven designs, crate powered, GRT by Dowell Motorsports, had nearly a straightaway advantage over Radcliff and White.

It was a great win for us, replied Dowell. I just really have to thank my wife and everybody that supports me. It was a great night, the car was hooked up. I couldn't ask for anything better.

I was a little worried about lapped traffic. I knew the car was good and I watched the track and the lines I was going to take. I picked them off real easy and got by them. When you've got a good car underneath you, it's easy to do. I'm happy and it's one of those nights that everything works out perfect.

I never tried to look where anyone was. I just tried to stay focused and hit my marks. I was worried about the 'Keith White caution.' I told Keith that earlier. Normally if he's not up in the front it just seems to happen. I kept thinking that was going to happen and I wanted to take care of my stuff and be easy on my tires. I was happy that it didn't happen.

Since we don't race every week we just try to come prepared. We show up when everything is right and good to go. I've been racing a long time too. We just try to enjoy ourselves.

IMCA Modified A-main

715 JP Dowell, 11j Justin Radcliff, 1 Keith White , 19 Jason Batt , 5 Kevin Green, 27 Dwayne Grantham, 26 Dean Abbey, 96 Johnny Sheets, 7g David Goode jr., v18 Chase Jupe, 1b Brandon Hood, 34w Ronnie Warren, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 444 Joe Spillman , 6 Jarrett Roberts , 77 Robert Liese jr., 13 Jerry Frydrych, 52 Ken Old, 32 Robert Stewart, 9w Brian Walker, 97 Doug Lorenz , 38 Billy Bachmeyer, 11e Dillon Smith, 423 Will Poston

IMCA Modified Pole Dash(finish sets front three rows)

715 JP Dowell, 5 Kevin Green, 1 Keith White, 11j Justin Radcliff, 19 Jason Batt, 26 Dean Abbey---dns

IMCA Modified qualifier(finish sets back of feature)

96 Johnny Sheets, v18 Chase Jupe, 444 Joe Spillman, 13 Jerry Frydrych, 77 Robert Liese jr., 48r Raymond McSpadden, 32 Robert Stewart, 11e Dillon Smith, 423 Will Poston, 9 Brian Walker, 52 Ken Old, 6 Jarrett Roberts, 82 Rick Green, 27 Marlin Samford

Sheppard Strong in Sportmod Scramble

Hometown racer, Jeff Sheppard(Elm Mott), scored the biggest win of his career taking home $1,000 pay day in the IMCA Southern Sportmod main. Sheppard, who won the pole dash, jumped out front early chased by Trevor Egbert and last nights winner, Robert Scrivner.

While T. Egbert and Scrivner slugged it out for second, Sheppard was able to put some distance on both of them. Sheppard ran up on slower traffic with ten to go and was careful picking his way through. This gave T, Egbert and Scrivner the chance to close the gap and a late caution erased Sheppard's lead.

As green waved again with five to go, Sheppard got away while T. Egbert and Scrivner traded some paint. This gave Sheppard the opportunity to ease away and take the win his Central Rentals, JR Contracting, Fat Daddy's Designs, Brake & Clutch Supply, Les Crocker Remodeling, Herrera Cabinets, Cornerstone Plumbing, Rudds Mud, 41 Shocks, Rhino Racing Rear ends, Performance Automotive Machine powered, CAM Chassis, unchallenged.

I've been chasing these big checks for several years, said Sheppard. I've led a lot of big shows, but never could cash in on one. I'm proud to do it tonight at Heart o' Texas Speedway. We had some great, clean racing all night. David Goode and IMCA did a great job putting this show on. I can't thank my family and friends enough that help me on my car. They keep me here every week to get one of these. I'm proud.

We stuck with what we normally do for the most part. Last night it was really dry, really smooth racing surface and I had a mediocre car. Tonight we went to our normal set up during the Pole Dash which was a fairly tacky track. In the feature, after last night, we assumed the track would take rubber. As it turned out there was still a little moisture on the bottom so we went with our normal set up and it worked out pretty good. To me, the car felt horrible for most of the race, but it was really fast.

I was pretty nervous starting on the front row. I can't judge myself off what everyone else is doing. To be out there by yourself is nerve wracking. You kind of feel like a sitting duck. I hate starting from the pole even though I like it and you can win races from there. It's the best, but hardest, to win a race from. You can't judge your racing line against anyone or know how it's working.

This race, I never looked at the scoreboard, I normally do. I knew Trevor(Egbert) was there, I knew (Robert) Scrivner was there, (Chris) Cogburn, there's so many regulars that have won these races and have been fast every week here. I had some bad luck earlier this year and was determined to run my own race as hard as I could, keep my equipment until the end and I think that's what held up.

IMCA Southern Sportmods

17 Jeff Sheppard, 78 Trevor Egbert, 37 Jeffrey Abbey, 53 Robert Scrivner, 601 Chris Cogburn, 7 Steve Hayes, 70 George Egbert, 4g Garett Rawls, 5 TJ Green, c3 Chris Birmingham, 8w Steve Wade, 44(58) Sid Kiphen, 116 Damon Hammond, 24r Robby Minten, 10d Don Painter, 0k Thomas Bennett, 9 Andrew Richards, 13g Sarah Goode, 41 Chad Hughes, 88m Calen Mohler, 69 Ronnie Bell, 14t Talon Minten, 99 James Holder, 56 Carlton Brunson

IMCA Southern Sportmod Pole Dash(finish sets front three rows)

17 Jeff Sheppard, 78 Trevor Egbert, 53 Robert Scrivner, 70 George Egbert, 601 Chris Cogburn, 37 Jeffrey Abbey

IMCA Southern Sportmod qualifier(top 12 to back of feature)

9 Andrew Richards, 13g Sarah Goode, 8w Steve Wade, 99 James Holder, 69 Ronnie Bell, 116 Damon Hammond, 56 Carlton Brunson, c3 Chris Birmingham, 0k Thomas Bennett, 24 Robby Minten, 41 Chad Hughes, 88m Calen Mohler, 123 Aaron Patterson, 58 Sid Kiphen

Cosper Convincing in I-Stocks

Last nights IMCA Stock Car winner, Charles Cosper(Belton) had a tougher task in Saturday nights A-main. Cosper had to start outside row 2 in the 20-lapper and got in line third behind Ryan Powers and Brandon Hood. With Powers out front Cosper looked low while Hood tried the high side.

On a restart Powers spun himself out in turn 4 nearly collecting Cosper and scattering the field. Back under green, with Cosper now on the point and veteran BJ Dulock on his tail. Cosper tried everything to shake Dulock, but to no avail as the duo battled on restarts.

Dulock was getting in(to the corners) better, but Cosper could get a better run off as the laps wound down. Just as victory was in sight a late caution waved setting up a green, white, checker finish. Cosper jumped ahead on green and powered his way to the win in the Spillman Excavating, Average Joe's Performance, Fat Daddy's Designs, Brazos Auto Sales, Swenson Shocks, Nortons Automotive, Cedar Cove Speed powered, SCS Chassis.

Big win!, exclaimed Cosper. I'd have liked to see some more cars show up, more of the D/FW guys here. You never know what can happen or how a race is going to play out. You might have the fastest car, you never know. That's why they call it racing, and not just winning. It can happen on any given night and tonight we got all the breaks.

We were running second when Ryan Powers spun and he tagged me in the rear a bit. If he gets my right rear, then I'm done too. Two nights in a row the cautions were unbelievable. Then I'm coming out of (turn) 4 thinking I'm seeing the checkers and it's a green, white, checker restart with DJ Dulock on my bumper. That dude was racing I-Stock before I even started racing. I saw his nose a couple times. I just tried to hit my marks and not mess up.

It's hard to tell if I had anything for Powers. I think I did, we were side by side when a caution came out. He was running high and low, feeling it out and so was I. I'd try to do opposite of him and had a good run on him. The bottom finally came in so if he would have stayed on top I think I could snuck around him.

This was the race I won last year right before my father passed suddenly the next week. It was the last race my dad got to see me drive. It's been a tough couple weeks with Fathers Day and this race. I won at 281 Spwy. on Fathers Day and this brings up a lot of emotions. It feels like it just happened yesterday. I'd give anything to get a little bit more time with him. I wish he was here right now.

IMCA Stock Car

33c Charles Cosper, 725 BJ Dulock, r12 Ryan Powers, 1b Brandon Hood, 7 Pat Wilson, 98 Peter Delevan, 3 Robin Batt, 12 Westin Abbey, 23x Jared Rady, 3a Matt Hood, 20t Thomas Hall sr., 47 Juston McCullough, t4 Tony Hamil, 489 Anthony Otken, 84x Eric Jones, 4k Ken Plonsky, 116 Damon Hammond, 14 Joe O'Bryan, 17 John Frydrych, 03 Markiss Harcrow, 771 Sam Sovey---dns, 110 Zach Riley---dns

IMCA Stock Car Pole Dash(finish sets front three rows)

r12 Ryan Powers, 1b Brandon Hood, 725 BJ Dulock, 33c Charles Cosper, 98 Peter Delevan, 14 Joe O'Bryan

IMCA Stock Car qualifier(finish sets back of feature)

12 Westin Abbey, 03 Markiss Harcrow, 4k Ken Plonsky, 23x Jared Rady, t4 Tony Hamil, 20t Thomas Hall sr., 47 Justin McCullough, 17f John Frydrych

Roller on a Roll in Hobby Stocks

After easily taking the IMCA Hobby Stock qualifier from the pole last night, Andy Roller(Waco) had his work cut out in tonight's A-main. Roller started inside row two and fell in line third at the start of the 20-lap main behind Jeremy Oliver and Chayson Bishnow.

Once Roller picked off Bishnow he had to cut into Oliver's deficit. Using the high line, roller chased down Oliver just before halfway. After a couple tries up top, Roller went to the bottom and was able to get past Oliver, who was running the middle, at halfway.

Oliver tried to hang on to Roller the final half of the race, but Roller inched ahead. Roller caught traffic with two to go, but easily kept Oliver in his wake putting the Howards Automatic Transmission, Southwest Maintenance, Ben's Boat Repair, J&J Carbs, Lambs Muffler, Amsoil by Lefty, Demon Decals, A&J Custom Paint, Crate powered, Charger Chassis back in Victory Lane.

Jeremy(Oliver) and I had a good feature race, said Roller. We didn't have such a good pole dash. We kind of got into each other a little and we don't ever race like that. We didn't talk after that since we both had stuff to fix. He came over after the feature and we talked it out.

We both got a good start in the feature and I got behind him. He was running the top in one corner and the bottom in the other. I used the top to run him down and I finally decided to try the bottom and got by him and just stayed down there.

I didn't know which was faster. I almost went back to the top once I got past him. He was struggling to stay on the bottom in one corner So I figured if I had one better corner than him it would be hard from him to pass me back.

This is my first win of the year here, Jeremy's won most of them. It feels good to win here. I like winning big shows and the big checks. Hopefully the rest of the season goes that way too.

IMCA Hobby Stocks

63 Andy Roller, 82 Jeremy Oliver, 47 Shannon Dulock, 128 Brandon Geurin, 42 Mark Geurin, 8w3 Hayden Wade, 25b Chayson Bishnow, 75 Wesley Warren, 825 Stephanie Henderson, 32 Joe Williams, 43 Stacey Robinette, 2 Dale Caswell, 50b Chad Bowman, 21j Jordan Kornegay, 18 Jeremy Hendrix---dns, 23c Christian Hunt---dns, 8b Max Brazeal---dns, 30e JB Whalley---dns

IMCA Hobby Stock Pole Dash(finish sets front three rows)

82 Jeremy Oliver, 25b Chayson Bishnow, 63 Andy Roller, 47 Shannon Dulock, 75 Wesley Warren, 32 Joe Williams

IMCA Hobby Stock qualifier(finish sets back of feature)

96 Bobby Joe Sheets, 44 Damian Snyder, 2 Dale Caswell, 50b Chad Bowman, 18 Jeremy Hendrix---dns, 8b Max Brazeal---dns, 23c Christian Hunt---dns

White Wins Again

Of the drivers eligible for the whole weekend sweep, Wade White(Gholson) was the only one to get the job done. White took the heat and qualifier Friday night, then Pole Dash and A-main Saturday night. White was pressured early in the 15-lapper by James Cochran II until a restart that saw Tommy Kirkpatrick and Gary Norman get by.

Kirkpatrick then took up the challenge on White during the latter stages. Kirkpatrick drove it in deep on the final lap, but White was able to hold him off in the Truck Motive, Wade White Trucking, 41 Shocks, Cen-Tec Towing & Recovery, Aggregate Solutions, FAT Wraps, Wild Child Race Car.

Street Stocks

68 Wade White, 4 Tommy Kirkpatrick, 3 Gary Norman, 1j James Cochran II, 181x Adam Schwarz, 24 Joseph Hunt, 44z Zach Spillman, 6 DL Wilson---dns, 75c Ed Cox---dns

Street Stock Pole Dash(finish sets front three rows)

68 Wade White, 1j James Cochran, 4 Tommy Kirkpatrick, 5m Bobby Mercer jr, 181x Adam Schwarz, 44z Zach Spillman

Kemp King in Factory Stock

Ray Kemp jr.(Waco) took advantage of some misfortune by Ryan Hopkins, who was also trying capture a weekend sweep. Hopkins had gotten out the lead early, but spun in turn 4 at the same time Rooster Morris was spinning in turn 2. The caution was tagged to Hopkins who got sent to the back, putting Rick Morosky out front.

A lap after the restart, Morosky slid high in turns 2 and 4 giving Kemp the opening to get the top spot on lap 4. Kemp was then chased by Doug Andrews the remaining laps while Hopkins made his way back up third. Kemp had only three car lengths on Andrews as he crossed the line the Tire City, Affiliated Auto Sales, Chevy.

Factory Stocks

45 Ray Kemp jr., 1 Doug Andrews, 4 Ryan Hopkins, 00 Justin Bruce, 88 Rick Morosky, 25 Michael Gaunet, 39 John Fikes, 194 Dylan Cates, 22 Jack Jenkins, 124 Jacob Permenter, 11 Rooster Morris, 17b Thomas Bailey---dns

Factory Stock Pole Dash(finish sets front three rows)

4 Ryan Hopkins, 88 Rick Morosky, 45 Ray Kemp jr., 1 Doug Andrews, 00 Justin Bruce, 22 Jack Jenkins

Rawls Declared Race Winner

Just when it looked like Cameron Cook would take home the big weekend sweep, the tech pad intervened. Cook had already completed the Friday sweep, taken the Pole Dash and crossed the line first in Jr. Mini Stock main after leading every lap.

Post race tech inspection found Cook's motor to be illegal giving the victory to Colton Rawls. Rawls, Raymond Allen Morgan and Jake Copeland had swapped second throughout the 15-lap event with Rawls, in the Maddox Electric, Ford Mustang getting the spot at the finish before getting moved into Victory Lane.

Jr Mini Stocks

08 Colton Rawls, 6 Raymond Allen Morgan, 9 Jake Copeland, 34w Bradley Warren, 10 Carlton Brunson, 04 Cameron Cook---DQ(tech-engine)

Jr Mini Stock Pole Dash(finish sets feature)

04 Cameron Cook, 6 Raymond Allen Morgan, 9 Jake Copeland, 08 Colton Rawls, 34w Bradley Warren, 10 Casey Brunson

Archived