Is HMP circle track dead for good?

liljoe0804

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No need to delete the thread, liljoe. It's just that most of the time when a legitimate questions gets raised, the boo-birds take it as their opportunity to pounce and rumor-mongers jump on it like a linebacker on a fumble.

Just trying to head off some of the negative stuff before it got started.

Nick

You're no fun!! :D

Sure I am. Lots and lots of fun. Just ask.. um..er... well, I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks I'm lots of fun.

But, yes, I do step in when I need to keep things civil and will continue to do so as long as I'm paying the bills around here.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I have inquired a few times on the HMP FB page about the oval track. All I get is sarcasm or ignored completely. There has never been a single update on their website. The drag strip is in full swing with daily posts and updates. If HMP wanted to open the oval track, they would. I expect that piece of land to be covered with apartment buildings within a year or two. Too bad. I used to have a lot of fun there.

I sure hope HMP will open the oval at some point this year. Graham Baker is an honorable, honest man and he live racing on the asphalt. So, we should lift Graham up on prayer no matter how things play out in Houston.

Nick

I've expected to hear something by now, either way .About to start grooving tires and call it dirt for me. Would rather go asphalt racing . My car was originally a dirt car anyway. I know I'm just one person and wouldn't bankrupt the track if I didn't show . I definitely had some good times at HMP.

Folks, the answer is in the economy. The stock market is absolutely unstable. So is the rest of the world. The price of oil?! Yeah, well sub-$30. What's all this have to do with HMP? Well, many of the racers in the area relied on oil and gas for their discretionary $. Many of those same people have either lost their jobs or struggling to make ends meet. You don't have to look far to find someone who has lost their job. It could be that Graham has investments that aren't paying out. I'm not his CFP so I don't know. I am certain that it takes a good chunk of $ to bring back the racing action.

Not to be Negative Nancy but I just don't see the track putting on regular shows this year. Yes, it would be nice if we could have the occasional playday. Maybe even some exhibition races.

I am going on record as saying that I would volunteer my time in away way to help get the Oval Track humming again.

I don't foresee the track converting to condos. The drag strip is always hopping!

Lastly, even if there were plans to open the track it would probably take 60+ days to get things in motion.

Scotty9 - Go dirt tracking. Enjoy the rush. Enjoy your hard work. When HMP comes back at least you'll have the dust knocked off!...

Me? I'm going to continue getting my honey do's done. I have been thinking about moving the Pro Truck into storage and start working on the Olds. I would like to take the Olds to CTS. But that's a ways off...

Folks, the answer is in the economy. The stock market is absolutely unstable. So is the rest of the world. The price of oil?! Yeah, well sub-$30. What's all this have to do with HMP? Well, many of the racers in the area relied on oil and gas for their discretionary $. Many of those same people have either lost their jobs or struggling to make ends meet. You don't have to look far to find someone who has lost their job. It could be that Graham has investments that aren't paying out. I'm not his CFP so I don't know. I am certain that it takes a good chunk of $ to bring back the racing action.

Not to be Negative Nancy but I just don't see the track putting on regular shows this year. Yes, it would be nice if we could have the occasional playday. Maybe even some exhibition races.

I am going on record as saying that I would volunteer my time in away way to help get the Oval Track humming again.

I don't foresee the track converting to condos. The drag strip is always hopping!

Lastly, even if there were plans to open the track it would probably take 60+ days to get things in motion.

Scotty9 - Go dirt tracking. Enjoy the rush. Enjoy your hard work. When HMP comes back at least you'll have the dust knocked off!...

Me? I'm going to continue getting my honey do's done. I have been thinking about moving the Pro Truck into storage and start working on the Olds. I would like to take the Olds to CTS. But that's a ways off...

Just curious, but why not bring the truck to CTS?

Radracr, as for the olds.I wouldn't think about taking it to a dirt track, more like a car show. To pretty for dirt. I've thought about running cts a couple of times,unfortunately I have to work on Saturday and a that's a long haul .Only getting straight 40 hr work week dosent leave much for racing , even this past hunting season was a little slim. Feeling Blessed to still have a job after hearing all the job cuts taking place. Have faith in Mr Baker he is doing his best. Definitely not giving up on HMP , just wanting to have a little fun . As for honey do list, well between home and inheriting 35 acres not much time for other things.

• 2 weeks later...

Really a car show.....
Id race that blue 55 olds rocket ship on adphalt, dirt, gravel, snow or any other surface....because its a race car. (and a fast one at that).
It cracks me up racing agaist car show car drivers, especially if you acccidently put a scuff on their car pretty paint job.

Im Curious why cant a representative from HMP whether it be Grahm Himself or the grounds keeper at least say something..

My personal opinion is; when a track does not announce their intent for the season, not only do they hurt the track but also the racers that have invested a lot. Eventually the track also looses the fan base. Now we have 2 asphalt tracks in south Texas in this situation, CCS and HMP.

Just not good business! <_<

Just curious, but why not bring the truck to CTS?

Honest answer?...it's the logistics...the ride up from Houston would be OK but the late ride back probably wouldn't suit my wife very well at all...I'm sure I could take the truck, put some tires on it and be fairly competitive...hopefully the gearing is the same as HMP...I would just have to plan something like that out...oh, and get the wife's blessing of course!...but, I really do think I would have a lot more fun running the Olds than the Truck...

Archived