'Street Outlaws' young gun bringing his Camaro to MIR

For Immediate Release

Outlaws' Derek Making Name For Himself

'Street Outlaws' young gun bringing his Camaro to MIR

MILLINGTON, Tenn. (June 1) - Seemingly in the blink of an eye, Derek Travis went from being an Average Joe to being on a first name basis with the racing world.

Being on one of the most popular shows on cable, Discovery's "Street Outlaws," will do that to you.

"I was on two episodes of the first season," Derek said. "Within a week I had people noticing me and I figured it was just an Oklahoma thing. Then I started getting people I hadn't seen since high school who had moved across the country hitting me up on Facebook saying, 'I just saw you on TV.'

Derek Travis has his silver Camaro ready to race at Memphis International Raceway this weekend.

"I was like, 'Man this is going to be a good show. It's going to be a hit.'"

Derek will join three of the show's other one-name wonders: Doc, Dominator and Monza at Memphis International Raceway (MIR) on Friday and Saturday (June 5-6) to get some racing in and meet up with a slice of the show's rabid fan base.

"I like to be an entertainer," Derek said. "It's fun. I get to do what I love to do. I love to race my car. (The show) has given me means and the ability to travel and put on a show."

While Derek said he's not paused his quest for more speed, he has let his inner showman take over and taken steps to make his silver Camaro looks as good as it runs.

"My mother-in-law told me a while ago that my car wasn't pretty anymore," Derek said. "That's been eating at me for a long time. This winter, I focused getting my car look better by getting a new paint job on it."

Derek's winter routine wasn't all paint and polish, however.

"I was able to shed some weight on the car, which should make it faster," Derek said. "I was fixing a lot of the little things too. I put a big block engine in it last year and it was tearing the chassis up. Slowly but surely I'm going to get it all handled and go from there.

"With the small budget I've got, I can't spend thousands of dollars and have big chassis guys come tune my car for me. I have to do what I can do and get help from the people who help me now."

Gates for Catch the Outlaws open at 6 p.m. each night. The Outlaws will race three times a night between 8 a.m. and midnight with free autograph sessions throughout the evening.

For racers who want to take to the track alongside the show's stars, there will be a $100 bounty awarded each night for the street legal car with the quickest ET. On Saturday night, a racer admission includes a free entry into the Box or No Box Gambler's Race that pays $1,000 to the winner. Time trials for that race get under way at 7 p.m.

Admission to the event is $20 for racers and spectators with children 12 and under free. A two-day pass for spectators is $30.

For more information regarding MIR, please visit www.RaceMIR.com, call (901)-WOW-Race or follow us at www.Facebook.com/RaceMIR or @RaceMIR on Twitter and Instagram.

Archived