15 Mark Lindley

8 Ed Nastasi

4 Chad Rogers

79 Michael Villarreal

28 Shawn Paul Lehman

182 Adam Schwartz?

20 Tom Wingo?

1 Kyle Brooks ?

Here are a few that are coming this weekend , Maybe Ed knows of some more kyle trucks or east coast guys.

Maybe the 99 Cary Stapp will come.

arob,

I think it is difficult to draw late models, regardless of the purse, if you have been in HMP's situation. Who in their right mind would put the time and effort into building a late model, or even preparing an old one, to maybe run one or two races? There are a select few who run other places that can justify getting it ready. HMP is going through a transition in ownership and noone even knew if they would be racing again. I would be willing to bet that as soon as the ownership deal is settled and racers feel secure in the future of the track, the entries will respond. We are just glad someone is stepping up to buy the track and continue, even if their is a year in limbo. A year in limbo beats a track with weeds growning. Just my opinion......

Well, questions may start again after the latest post. Hope they figure it out up there because HMP is a nice place. Late models are seemingly dying out but hope the Houston area can sustain that track too.

5 years ago HMP discontinued the late model class. 3 years ago CTS started one and we have consistently had 11-14 cars. While is not a huge number it is a start. HMP is not the only track around.

It wasn't an attack on them in any way and I know you're one of the ones trying to keep them going. What I'm going off of was let's say in the 90s and early 2000s, with Romco/TIDA, it wasn't uncommon to have 20+ Late Models. ASA would even make appearances at SAS and HMP with 20+ as well. Recently I've seen CCS and HMP throw out big money for Late Models with little success. HMP night a few weeks ago the 12 Late Models I believe was the highest car count of the night. Central Texas is kinda carrying the banner here and as of right now, they are the only Texas track running Late Models. It's kinda like the Street Stocks, we all know they're out there but most tracks can't get them in the gate (CTS being the exception) and that's even including the dirt racers. The track I went to last night had 6 Streets and two cars in the class they mix with 6-7 trucks so basically 8 Streets. CCS ran Streets a few years with 6-7 average, heard since they dropped them, run CTS rules and we'll go, less than 10 before raining out. Yes CTS gets 15-20 average, Street Stock Shootout has over 20 per race. HMP has what 6 every race even after allowing a more traditional Street Stock type to run with their AMCAR/Pro Stock class. So we know the cars are out there, our problem is how do we get them to the track. Is it a money thing? Ownership/management? Track issues? Whatever it is, communication seems to be the biggest problem and a lot of times the communication breaks down when discussing the issues and for the money problems, money simply just isn't there in most cases. Can't afford a class, don't run it. Need more money, try to find sponsors. Track doesn't have money offer to help then in some way. Now if they tell you no, at least you know you tried.

If you go back to the very beginning of Texas Speed Zone, you will find thread after thread discussing car counts, managment issues, money problems. Some were very productive, positive and helpful with some constructive suggestions presented. But more than not, those discussions would degenerate into bash sessions even if they started out at least somewhat positive.

So, let's keep this one positive.

Nick

As a racer and more importantly a fan of racing around here I simply going to ask one thing. Whatever your flavor support the tracks and operators currently in operation. Seems all to often folks want other places to open or reopen but the deal is they are not racing for reason or another that they will work on to fix.

Pick your place and go cheer on the sport.

Nick if it was negative I apologize. Just stating observations and Rodney, I agree which is why I agreed to ride along on a last minute two hour ride last night to support an out of town track, will be at another out of town track this coming Saturday, my hometown track the 20th while sending support of a series running at another track that night, a two day event Fourth of July event here, an event I missed greatly on the 11th and then another two day event out of town at the end of July.

And folks I'm not bitching at anyone but we need to do what Top Shelf is doing. If you see a track operator, tech, staff etc thank them for what they are doing. I can promise you it is for the love of the sport and giving back to the great people (like all of you) that support the sport.

Archived