White, T. Egbert, Cosper, Roller, Homeyer, Ellis, Weir take CBS wins 3

Cotton Bowl Speedway 3/28/15

By J M Hallas

Paige, Tx.,(March 28th, 2015) In was a Chamber of Commerce day as the weekend warriors rolled in for another night of racing at Cotton Bowl Speedway, east of Austin. A good field of car signed in to do battle on the 3/8 mile, high-banked, clay oval and began a new chapter on the mini-track for the youngsters in their Go-Karts, which was a who's who field championship kids.

Wiley White Wins Modified Main

The veteran and former IMCA Modified Champion, Keith White(Academy) used an early restart to get by Jamie Campbell for the point in the 20-lap IMCA Modified main. Once out front, White was able to gap the field and easily go on to add yet another trophy to his case in the Shale Equipment Rental, Liquid Nitro, J. Irwin Company, KSG Motorsports, Bell County Iron, Fat Daddys Designs, BSB, Dirt Defender, Craftmasters Powdercoating, TCC Carburetors, DLS Worldwide, Bell County Electric, KSE Powered, CAM Chassis.

Eighteen car took the green as IMCA Modified feature roared into turn 1 with Campbell holding off Joe Spillman for lead. Jarrett Roberts, Matt Banker and White trailed the lead duo. White made quick work of Banker and Roberts for third, with Ben Ketteman following in his wake. White then picked off Spillman for second. In the pack, Raymond McSpadden, Mark Warren and Doyle Massa tangled with Warren and Massa ending their night in the wall.

White got a good jump on Campbell when the green waved again and got along side grabbing the lead on lap 6. As things sorted out and calmed down coming to halfway it was White, Campbell, Ketteman, McGuire and Cody Tidwell in the top five. With the field strung out, White put it on cruise control and eased away to grab the victory.

With all(the sports) that my kids have going on, this win is just a bonus, replied White. If we hadn't had that caution I don't know if we had anything for him(Jamie Campbell). On the restart he spun his tires taking off coming out of turn 4 and he drifted up to the wall. That allowed me to get under him. That was really the difference and let me get position in turn 1.

The track dusted up tonight, most of last year it didn't. It was slicker earlier in the night, but you could run higher. Once the dust started blowing up, my car wouldn't go up there. A little experience knowing the race track probably helped me some.

Watching my son race makes me far more nervous than being out there with 20 other Modifieds. It's been a long time since I've felt that nervous on my own. I've been nervous all week just working on the car not knowing what I was doing. I have to thank Matt Meuller for helping get this cart program going. You want the kids to do the best that they can and learn. Learn how to win and learn how to lose. You're going to lose far more times than you win. You've got to learn to do both graciously.

IMCA Modifieds

1 Keith White, 29 Jamie Campbell, 37 Ben Ketteman, 9 Pat McGuire, 17 Cody Tidwell, 6 Jarrett Roberts, 44 Joe Spillman, 36b Matt Banker, 13 Jerry Frydrych, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 32 Robert Stewart, 51 David Pierce, m17 Joe Whitehead, 27g Dwayne Grantham, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 31 Doyle Massa, 29w Mark Warren, 3 Terry Woodall, 707 PJ Egbert---DNS, 202 Scott Stubbs---DNS

IMCA Modified Dash for Cash

1 Keith White, 37 Ben Ketteman, 29 Jamie Campbell

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 29 Jamie Campbell, 9 Pat McGuire, 17 Cody Tidwell, 3 Terry Woodall, 36b Matt Banker, 202 Scott Stubbs, 13 Jerry Frydrych

Heat 2; 37 Ben Ketteman, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 44 Joe Spillman, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 32 Robert Stewart, m17 Joe Whitehead, 707 PJ Egbert

Heat 3; 1 Keith White, 27g Dwayne Grantham, 6 Jarrett Roberts, 51 David Pierce, 31 Doyle Massa, 29w Mark Warren, 51 David Pierce

Egberts 1-2 in Sportmod Scramble

Trevor Egbert(Belton) took home the hardware for his anniversary present to his wife, in the IMCA Southern Sportmod feature trailed by his dad, George who is celebrating his 40th year of racing. T. Egbert got by Sid Kiphen near halfway then put some distance on the pack. A late race caution set up a green, white, checkered finish that saw G. Egbert get by Kiphen for second and finish behind his son.

Rick Wolfe was first off turn 2 for the lead as the 24-car, 20-lap IMCA Southern Sportmod feature came to life. Behind Wolfe it was Don Painter, Taylor Florio and a three wide fight for fourth. A multi-car tangle in turn 4 quickly brought the caution out on lap 1. Back to green it was Painter looking low on Wolfe with Kiphen on the outside of Painter.

Kiphen got the spot on lap 3 while G. Egbert made his way to fourth passing Florio. Kiphen wasted little time ducking under Wolfe coming off turn 2 for the lead on lap 5. G, Egbert got along side Painter with T. Egbert on their bumper. After a spin by Mitchell Morrison, the Egbert duo got by Wolfe for second and third and Johnny Torres moving up to fifth.

T. Egbert didn't cut dad any slack taking second on lap 8 then closing on Kiphen for the lead. T. Egbert and Kiphen were side by side for the lead as T. Egbert inched across the stripe to lead lap 9. Morrison had trouble again at halfway for a caution with T. Egbert, Kiphen, G. Egbert, Wolfe and Torres in the top five.

Once back to green, Torres got fourth from Wolfe with Brandon Blaylock moving to sixth, after starting nineteenth. T. Egbert was easing away when Gene Burnett went around in turn 3, as the leaders were coming on the back stretch, forcing a lap 18 caution.

T. Egbert got a good jump on green, while G. Egbert worked his way by Kiphen for second. G. Egbert couldn't track down T. Egbert as he was grabbing the win in his 121 Towing, E&E Collision, Phils Motorsports, Ellis Air Systems, CB's Racing Engines, Express by 89 Motorsports Chassis.

I just followed my dad through traffic, commented Egbert. My car was a little better than his and I just ran where others weren't. If it was the middle or the bottom, we just ran where we had to. I always know when it's my dad I'm running with. It's always fun when you get to race with family. It's been a while since we finished one-two and one time at Texas Thunder my dad won, I was second, PJ(cousin) was third and my brother(GW) was fourth.

I wasn't sure my line was best once I got the lead, but I knew it was the best one for my car. My car was a little free running the outside at the start, so I just ran where my car was the fastest. We just picked this car up from Craig Oakes last week, so we don't know much about it yet.

It's by far, way more nerve wracking watching the kids race. That adds a whole 'nother level to our racing program. I don't think I've ever been that nervous in my life.

IMCA Southern Sportmods

78 Trevor Egbert, 70 George Egbert, 58 Sid Kiphen, 66 Johnny Torres, r3w Rick Wolfe, 0 Brandon Blaylock, c3 Chris Birmingham, 51 Earl Ingram, 21t Taylor Florio, 43g Gene Burnett, 0k Thomas Bennett, 8w Steve Wade, 33j Jordan Whitehead, 25 Brandon Prewitt, 601 Chris Cogburn, a11n Mark Salango, 68 Rusty Head, 86 Dillon Tindell, 66m Mitchell Morrison, 10d Don Painter, 31 Sherrill Lewis, 717 GW Egbert IV, 11t Tom Grothues, qwik1 Mike Wagner, 74 Chris Grusendorf---DNS

IMCA Southern Sportmod heats

Heat 1; 10d Don Painter, 58 Sid Kiphen, 66m Mitchell Morrison, 11t Tom Grothues, 31 Sherrill Lewis, a11n Mark Salango, 0 Brandon Blaylock, 74 Chris Grusendorf, 33j Jordan Whitehead

Heat 2; 601`Chris Cogburn, 78 Trevor Egbert, 21t Taylor Florio, 8w Steve Wade, 51 Earl Ingram, 25 Brandon Prewitt, 68 Rusty Head, 43g Gene Burnett

Heat 3; r3w Rick Wolfe, 66 Johnny Torres, 70 George Egbert, qwik1 Mike Wagner, 0k Thomas Bennett, 717 GW Egbert IV, c3 Chris Birmingham, 86 Dillon Tindell

Cosper Captures Stock Car Cash

Temples Charles Cosper took home the IMCA Stock Car win, his second win of the weekend. Cosper, who won Friday night at Heart O' Texas(Waco) grabbed the lead on lap 1 and never looked back, leading all fifteen laps. Cosper had 2014 track champ Jason Batt on his bumper for restart, but was able to ease away in his Cedar Cove Speed, Spillman Excavating, Fat Daddys Designs, Swenson Racing Components, Nortons Automotive, Brazos Auto Sales, SCS Chassis with an in-house powerplant.

It was a three car battle for the lead as the 11-car IMCA Stock Car rolled through turns 1-2. Cosper emerged from that battle with Joe Spillman and Jamie Campbell with the top spot. Peter Delevan then moved along side Spillman and Campbell three wide for second. Delevan took the spot from Spillman, with J. Batt hot on his heels.

J. Batt then took third from Delevan and got second from Campbell before he looped it. On the restart Cosper had J. Batt on his tail with Delevan, Joe O'Bryan and Benji Kirkpatrick in the top five at halfway. As the laps wound down Cosper began to put some distance on J. Batt and cruised on to the victory.

The track was in perfect condition, replied Cosper. You couldn't ask for a better one after early in the year with all the rain. They got it figured out this weekend. Conditions played into our favor. I got a real good start and snuck around (Joe) Spillman on the bottom. I was kind of cruising on the bottom and saw the 9(J. Batt) moving up on the scoreboard. It made me a little nervous on the restart. I knew if I hit my marks it would be hard for him to go anywhere else but the bottom. I really felt it was the best and my car was strong. We had a good all-round package.

I knew that where I was running was where the line was at. I could feel my car going pretty good down there. If there's going to be someone behind me, I want it to be Jason. He always races me clean. We actually finished first and second in Waco last night. This weekend was ours, next time it may be his. It's just fun racing with him.

I always think of my dad when I'm out there. It's still kind of hard to take it all in and realize he's no longer there. Everything I do I always think, what would he do. I know he's always there with me and he's got to be real excited.

IMCA Stock Cars

33c Charles Cosper, 9 Jason Batt, 98 Peter Delevan, 14 Joe O'Bryan, 4725 Benji Kirkpatrick, 3 Robin Batt, 29 Jamie Campbell, 17f John Frydrych, 44z Joe Spillman, 14j Jay Simon, 4k Ken Plonsky, 23 CJ Gray---DNS

Heat 1; 4725 Benji Kirkpatrick, 44z Joe Spillman, 3 Robin Batt, 17f John Frydrych, 98 Peter Delevan, 14 Joe O'Bryan

Heat 2; 9 Jason Batt, 33c Charles Cosper, 29 Jamie Campbell, 23 CJ Gray, 4k Ken Plonsky, 14j Jay Simon II---DNS

Rolling the Bottom Right for Roller

Andy Roller(Waco) scored his first IMCA Hobby Stock feature of the season using the low groove to hold off the competition. Roller capitalized on the pole position to get the lead and was chased early by Matt Bice and AJ Dancer until they tangled. Roller then had to fend off Brandon Geurin the final two-thirds of the 15-lapper. Geurin tried high and low to no avail and appeared to use up his tires as he gave ground to Roller at the finish.

Eleven IMCA Hobby Stocks took the green with Roller getting a big jump into turn 1. Trailing Roller were Bice, Dancer, Jeremy Oliver and Sean Burnett. While Geurin worked his way up to fifth, Oliver was showing some smoke and pulled off. Dancer then made contact with Bice in the fight for second for an early yellow. This put Geurin on Rollers tail for the restart.

With Roller holding the bottom line, Geurin began a charge on the high side. Geurin gave Roller several good looks, but Roller was able to hold him off. Geurin got a good run off turn 2 at one point giving Roller a shot on the bumper. In the closing laps Geurin gave Roller a look low, but Roller, in the Howards Automatic Transmission, Southwest Maintenance, Ben's Boat Repair, J&J Carbs, Lambs Muffler, Demon Decals, A&J Custom Paint, Crate powered, Charger Chassis, then began to inch ahead for the win.

I thought we were pretty fast in the heat, said Roller. When we came into the pits my wife said I was really slow. So my confidence from way up here, to down here. I knew Brandon(Geurin) or Jeremy(Oliver) would probably get to me in the feature. Even Matt(Bice) and AJ(Dancer) have been running good and stepped up their cars this year.

During the race, Brandon gave me one good shot in the rear, but I didn't know where he was running. I tried not to swing out to the wall and give room if was on the outside. I never felt him again and he said he burned up his tires while we were in tech. I guess I conserved mine a little better.

I put a gear in that would allow me to run the bottom or the top. I didn't think anyone could run the top, but if they did, I could up there too. As long as no one was going around me on the top, I wasn't getting off the bottom. I watched the I-Stock race and Charles(Cosper) killed them on the bottom.

IMCA Hobby Stocks

63 Andy Roller, 128 Brandon Geurin, 57 Sean Burnett, 8w3 Hayden Wade, 44 Damion Snyder, 38 Matthew Bice, 52 AJ Dancer, 22 Patricia Lucas, 09 David Shed, 8 Max Brazeal, 82 Jeremy Oliver

IMCA Hobby Stock heats

Heat 1; 63 Andy Roller, 128 Brandon Geurin, 52 AJ Dancer, 8w3 Hayden Wade, 82 Jeremy Oliver, 44, Damion Snyder

Heat 2; 38 Matthew Bice, 57 Sean Burnett, 09 David Shed, 22 Patricia Lucas, 8 Max Brazeal

Homeyer Hustles to Stock Car Checkers

As the 12-car, 15-lap CBS Stock Car field fired off it was Michael Rogers first into turn 1 trailed by Jesse Ray, Bryan Mayeux, Jarod Leitchman and Danny Bennett. On a restart, for a spin by Todd Masterson, Leitchman made contact with Ray sending him around, and Leitchman to the pits. Once back under green, Homeyer was charging forward using the top groove.

Homeyer then used the bottom to duck under Rogers for the lead on lap 4, while Robert Danielson made his way to third. Coming to halfway it was Homeyer, Danielson, Bennett, Rogers and Mayeux in the top five. Homeyer, in the Dynamic Racecraft, Pat Foreman Racing Heads, Mercedes Miniatures, Brazos Fleet Service, Chevy, kept a comfortable margin over Danielson on his way to the win.

CBS Stock Cars

8* Tim Homeyer, 87 Robert Danielson, r4j Danny Bennett, 0* Bryan Mayeux, 10x Michael Rogers, 22 Mike Nuby, 76 Gary Hutchinson, 9 Todd Masterson, 8 Bianca Weaver, 12 Danny Castle, 25 Jesse Ray, 77 Jarod Leitchman---BF(rough driving)

CBS Stock car heats

Heat 1; 87 Robert Danielson, 77 Jarod Leitchman, 10x Michael Rogers, 0* Bryan Mayeux, 25 Jesse Ray, 9 Todd Masterson

Heat 2; 8* Tim Homeyer, 12 Danny Castle, r4j Danny Bennett, 76 Gary Hutchinson, 8 Bianca Weaver, 22 Mike Nuby

Ellis Easy in Eco-Stock

Ryan Ellis easily walked away from the Eco-Stock field taking home the win. Ellis got a big advantage on the start, then motored off into the night going flag to flag unchallenged. Brian Bagent gave chase early but had nothing for Ellis, who was clearly the class of the field tonight.

Eco-Stock

114 Ryan Ellis, 45 Brian Bagent, 0b1 Brandy Petty, 3 Scott Blauen, 13 Cory Vankirk, 57 Sean Burnett,6 Jason Miller, 59 Rick Sapp, 61 Alexa Shed, t13 Tiffani Burnett

Eco-Stock heat winner; 114 Ryan Ellis

Weir Sweeps Go-Karts

In the inaugural Cotton Bowl Go-Kart class it was 8-year old Kole Weir taking home the nightly sweep. Weir jumped out front early in the feature but got hung in lapped traffic giving way to PJ Egbert jr., son of the former IMCA Modified National Champion. On the final circuit a lapped car entered the picture again slowing Egbert jr. in turn 4 and the race was on. The duo drag raced down the straightaway with Weir, in the KSG Motorsports, DoNut Designs, QRC Chassis, sponsored by mom & dad, edging out Egbert jr. for the victory.

Go-Karts

11 Kole Weir, 777 PJ Egbert jr, 1 Jaxson White, 18 Kaleb Merritt,717 Liam Egbert, 43 Hayden Petty, 78 Ryder Egbert, 717L Landon Egbert

Go-Kart heat 1 winner; 11 Kole Weir

Go-Kart heat 2 winner; 11 Kole Weir

Cotton Bowl Speedway takes next weekend off for the Easter Holiday and resumes April 11th with the South Texas Street Stock Shootout. For more info visit their website www.cottonbowlspeedway.com or the facebook page.

Archived