For the record

if those parts don't make a difference why would you run them an take a chance in a big race of getting caught I have been racing now going on 5 years have won a few races an in the big races they have all ways checked a lot more I have had to pull head before my self you drove a good race but you all so have to be good in tech fix your car an come race with us

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he likes the way his car is currently then run limited late models.

This comment speaks volumes! Instead of ecouraging a driver to fix his car and come back...the response is to invite them leave! Is that how you "grow" a series? It has been obvious for a while that Mike is an unwanted participant in STXSSS and STP.

When he had Clean Sweep in their Inaugural STP event, it simply was not going to be tolerated.

Well mtrigg there just mad because you hit your marks and drove off from them but now you know what happens when you out run there guys I'm surprised they didn't put your car on jack stands and tear it completely down wait they prolly would have if they didn't find those first couple things LMAO it all goes back to when they stop letting 10 inch tires BC they couldn't hang

How many 10" tire cars won races, or better yet, championships when they began mixing the tires? Yeah, I couldn't think of that many either.

No one is mad here, I just want to see people follow written rules. I'm sure Mike is a great guy, from all accounts since I've never said two words to him and vice versus; so let's see him be that great guy, conform to the rules and do what he did in a legit manor.

This comment speaks volumes! Instead of ecouraging a driver to fix his car and come back...the response is to invite them leave! Is that how you "grow" a series? It has been obvious for a while that Mike is an unwanted participant in STXSSS and STP.

When he had Clean Sweep in their Inaugural STP event, it simply was not going to be tolerated.

I don't even know where to begin with these comments.

Didn't Cody and Mike Martin pretty much have clean sweeps? I know they won at least two races each on Saturday when all of the marbles were on the line.

I hope it does speak volumes. I want the drivers that tow to our events knowing they are not being cheated. Series or STP events. This isn't a run what you brung deal no matter how you candy coat it rules are rules. Other cars in other classes suffered the same fate. Were is your bleeding hearts for them they must really feel left out. The series doesn't seem to be having an issue with growing. It's only our 6th year so far from an almost dead class. Yeap I call that growth. All local tracks share the same rules! Yeap I call that growth as well! 94 drivers and we have 1 with an issue even the other two that were dqed understood why. May not of been happy but they understood with not even a cross word to the Techmen hired to do the job. And here is a tid bit of information the 1st shootout champion was on 10inch tires and the following years changed to 8 inch on his own accord.

I hope it does speak volumes. I want the drivers that tow to our events knowing they are not being cheated. Series or STP events. This isn't a run what you brung deal no matter how you candy coat it rules are rules. Other cars in other classes suffered the same fate. Were is your bleeding hearts for them they must really feel left out. The series doesn't seem to be having an issue with growing. It's only our 6th year so far from an almost dead class. Yeap I call that growth. All local tracks share the same rules! Yeap I call that growth as well! 94 drivers and we have 1 with an issue even the other two that were dqed understood why. May not of been happy but they understood with not even a cross word to the Techmen hired to do the job. And here is a tid bit of information the 1st shootout champion was on 10inch tires and the following years changed to 8 inch on his own accord.

...still didn't say, "fix your car and come back".

There were a couple of Significant things worth mentioning. The 4t car ran multiple STXSSS events last year with these same parts. It was teched no less than 10 times. These parts are readily visible. WHY DID THEY ONLY BECOME AN ISSUE NOW? WHY DID THE TECH TEAM WAIT UNTIL 4 am...AFTER THE HEAD WAS PULLED, THE VALVE SPRINGS WERE REMOVED, THE CHAMBER WAS CC`ED, THE INTAKE RUNNER WAS CC`ED, ETC?

You know why it never was mentioned before. Because no one gives a rat`s ass about your tie rod ends! You only look for things that would create an unfair advantage. You know why it took 4+ hours to DQ him, because they were looking for something more substantial...and couldn`t find it. As a last resort they grasped the ONLY thing they could find.

The car in question also had monoballs on the rear trailing arms. We raced 5 races last year. So your wrong about no less then 10 times. In those 5 races he finished in the top 5 once. He was dqed for an illegal carb at that time. He has not been in the top 5 since in a shootout race. When we tech we have a couple items we look at. We do not perform a witch hunt until an item is discovered. The items teched on the 4t were the same items checked on the remaining top 4 street stocks. Last Saturday night 30 cars were being teched. Heads were coming off all winners. So that was the first thing we told em when they were moved into position. While that was going on we teched the other items on our list again on the 30 cars. Clock wasnt an issue making sure we did our job was. The head was pulled rather quickly like the other cars, so dont give me this you know something I dont stuff. We had a job to do and we did it. Plus you dont know what was said between me and mike so dont get on here and put words in my mouth on what I said or should have said. If he likes the way his car sits and doesnt want to change parts there is a class for stuff. Like another driver said from the limited late models he doesnt even run those parts but they are legal in llm if he wanted to. Not street stock.

Stephan, you are doing the right thing by seriously teching cars. At the end of the day, all most racers want is to know that they are racing on a more or less even playing field.

Sure, people bitch and moan about being teched, especially if they happen to end up DQ'd. But when they put their heads down on that pillow at night, they know that it's far better to have serious tech than lousy tech.

Of course, 99 percent of the folks who get DQ'd have a horror story to tell as to why they got the shaft from those despicable folks who run the series. As one who has been in your shoes many times over the last few decades, all I can say is to let the boo birds have their say and keep on doing on what you're doing. There will be a few folks who get on the bandwagon with the guy who was DQ'd, but the rest of us are just waiting to see if you will give in to the pressure or stand your ground.

Stand your ground and carry on. You're doing an awesome job doing the work that no one else was willing or able to do.

Nick

I haven't bashed you or aired dirty laundry on here. I won't do that because it would only hurt South Texas racing in general. For the sake of everyone, show some class and let this die. I wanted people to know the infractions and that was it.

Your problems with me are over. As I told you, I am done. I don't make idol threats. There is no way I would ever be associated with this Street Stock deal again.

This is what I sent to Stephan yesterday by PM and was immediately blocked by him. This is exactly the way I feel. I appreciate the people that support me but know that there is nothing going to change what happened. It is time for all of us to move on guys.

Mike Trigg

The car in question also had monoballs on the rear trailing arms. We raced 5 races last year. So your wrong about no less then 10 times. In those 5 races he finished in the top 5 once. He was dqed for an illegal carb at that time. He has not been in the top 5 since in a shootout race. When we tech we have a couple items we look at. We do not perform a witch hunt until an item is discovered. The items teched on the 4t were the same items checked on the remaining top 4 street stocks. Last Saturday night 30 cars were being teched. Heads were coming off all winners. So that was the first thing we told em when they were moved into position. While that was going on we teched the other items on our list again on the 30 cars. Clock wasnt an issue making sure we did our job was. The head was pulled rather quickly like the other cars, so dont give me this you know something I dont stuff. We had a job to do and we did it. Plus you dont know what was said between me and mike so dont get on here and put words in my mouth on what I said or should have said. If he likes the way his car sits and doesnt want to change parts there is a class for stuff. Like another driver said from the limited late models he doesnt even run those parts but they are legal in llm if he wanted to. Not street stock.

Well, not surprisingly we have a different perspective. I never implied the 10 times were only after a FEATURE. If you REQUIRE a driver to report to the "scales" after a heat race, qualifier, or feature...and no team member can approach the car...that is "teching" the car. Routinely during these "non-feature" visits to the scales items such a wheelbase, tires, differentials, and other random items are checked. This happened (4) times this past weekend. So, I feel (10) is a very conservative number regarding the number of times the car has been teched.

Regarding the "Mono-ball", the rules state "ANY BUSHING". It never states "NO MONO-BALLS", So, at minimum, this was a gray area. Again, these parts have been in place since Mike bought the car. There have been plenty of officials under the car in the past year. So, many it looked like a "JUNGLE GYM" at times. Nothing was even mentioned before.

Regarding the "Illegal carburetor". The carburetor had a machined down throttle shaft. At that time, there was NOTHING in the rules regarding the carburetor shaft. In 2014 the rules DID NOT mention anything about "Go, No-Go Gauges". As I recall, the BOLAWS gauges had only been recently acquired by STXSSS.

You are right, the heads were off rather quickly, but it took another 3 hours waiting on spring compressor tools, removing valves, CC'ing, etc. If you were specifically looking for certain items as you claim. Why did it take and additional (3) hours after the heads were already removed to see the Rod-Ends and Mono-balls? Are you also saying when cars showed up at tech, that you had predetermined that you were going to look for Rod-Ends on steering? I call BS, on that. If that was the case, why in the world would say "Pull the heads, which takes hours....rather than spend 30 seconds to see if a car had Rod-Ends on the steering. That makes absolutely no sense.

Only after the engine was cleared 100%, did anyone have enough fortitude to say something about the rod-ends and mono-balls.

Even inside the most tight-knit group there is usually someone who has a conscience and recognizes the situation for what it was. Mike received reliable feedback regarding the events that took place to make the decision to sell his stuff an easy one. It is obvious he was not wanted in this series...and it remains obvious on this forum.

I am going to miss watching him!

Stephan, you are doing the right thing by seriously teching cars. At the end of the day, all most racers want is to know that they are racing on a more or less even playing field.

Sure, people bitch and moan about being teched, especially if they happen to end up DQ'd. But when they put their heads down on that pillow at night, they know that it's far better to have serious tech than lousy tech.

Of course, 99 percent of the folks who get DQ'd have a horror story to tell as to why they got the shaft from those despicable folks who run the series. As one who has been in your shoes many times over the last few decades, all I can say is to let the boo birds have their say and keep on doing on what you're doing. There will be a few folks who get on the bandwagon with the guy who was DQ'd, but the rest of us are just waiting to see if you will give in to the pressure or stand your ground.

Stand your ground and carry on. You're doing an awesome job doing the work that no one else was willing or able to do.

Nick

Couldn't have said it any better!!!

I am going to miss watching him!

But you will see the likes of Heath Stewart, Wade Jones, Rob and Ryan Slott, Tony Blankenship, Frank Okruhlik and more.

One more thing and then I'm done.

People are probably wondering why I have even commented on this since I'm "just the photographer." I'll tell you why. The countless hours that Stephan, myself and many other people have put in to make this and the STXSSS happen and grow will not be ruined by differing opinions, and that's all this has been so far. Nick nailed it on the head when he said that Stephan has done an "awesome job doing the work that no one else was willing or able to do" and I second that notion. Five or six years ago Mike wouldn't have even been able to race in such a manor and people should be thankful that they even had the opportunity to showcase themselves on a scale such as this past weekend and the last 5 years of the STXSSS.

Take your lickins' and move on. Make your car right and beat them on the track so you don't get beat on the tech pad (no matter the size of the infraction).

It would be just as easy for Stephan to throw in the towel as Mike did and then what?

Monoballs are a "bearing" not a bushing everyone knows this including the other top 10 drivers plus the 44 limited drivers who cant run them. Because they replace a bushing doesnt mean it is a bushing. Go no Go Gauges have always been a part of the rules. STXSSS have used the same gauge set for over 3 years way before 4t ever ran with this series.

Just because you have an explaination about the illegal parts doesnt make them any less illegal.

In regards to friday night and saturday night scales. The purpose of going over them is for weight, while they are there we check tires. Because friday alone 54 cars drove over the scales it doesnt give us time for "tech" you car at that point. Sorry I guess you should go ahead and count how many times I drove by it on a 4 wheeler or in a truck friday and saturday as well.

Rules are there for a reason. They found you illegal it happens. It might feel like they're on a witch hunt but they're not. Your best bet is to fix what they want you to fix, come back and Race. If you win again and found legal then you can say it didn't give you an advantage.

RULE #7

# 7. Differential – Factory rearends only. No aftermarket rearend, no quickchange allowed. 9 Inch ford in GM cars is allowed. Floaters are allowed. All floating nine inch rearends must have a wheel cover on the right rear wheel during racing. First offense is probation, Second offense will be disqualification at that event.

Jamie,

Since you are a photographer, maybe you have a pictures of all the Street Stocks who ran without a right rear wheels cover. I know there were several. However, I only have a photo of the 53 during the feature...he was the only one close enough to the 4T to get in the shot :)

So, how long is the 53 car on Probation? Why is he shown in 15th place in the results...he should have been DQ'ed?

Naturally, I don't care about those guys and personally have no issue or mean any disrespect to them. But those are the rules. My point: the STXSSS rules selectively enforced? You can see that infraction from the grandstands...lap after lap.

Does the 53 have a floating 9" Rearend? Asking because I don't know, nor to be a smart ass about it. But in this case, this weekend wasn't a STSSS event, some variances were possibly made. I'm not sure because one, I didn't read the street stock rules because I do not own a street stock and two, I didn't race and had nothing to do with tech so I concerned myself to just the jobs I was asked to do.

As for the DQ issue, it's beating a dead horse. Whether anyone likes it or not, decisions are made and are final. No one will be in-disqualified. I never met Mr. Trigg and only spoke with him a few times while he was in car during staging Thursday primarily. I hate to see that he is quitting the series but it's his choice to make and wish him well with whatever he ultimately decides to do. The fact of the matter is he had parts deemed illegal and was DQ'd. I know it sucks and I don't know if anyone enjoys telling someone that they are DQ'd either. I'm glad to see tech was taken seriously especially when a promoter has a $30,000 total payout. It is what it is and all of this bitching back and forth isn't helping the sport as a whole. I'm sorry it went down this way and I no way do I hold any resentment to anyone on here or that was involved Saturday night/Sunday morning. My hope is both sides learn from this and by both sides I mean officials and drivers/crews in general. If there is a gray area, maybe call and ask the promoter or try to suggest what is possible to happen before hand. Maybe rules need to be written a little more clear. Obviously there's no perfect system and people will get emotional in the heat of the moment and I understand that but as long as we're pointing fingers and trying to figure out who's screwing who, try to figure out ways to make it better without making it personal. I heard some squawking about a few other rules and when this debate cools off I'll be glad to bring it up with the promoter to ensure everyone is on the same page or at least has the opportunity to get there. Now we have an idea that certain things will not be tolerated in tech and really shouldn't be. If you have an illegal part, you're illegal. Yes I get the point of if it's the first thing you check, why do the rest? Well, wouldn't you want to know if something more major is a problem before you're dinged a second time? I would and if there's nothing to hide you give tech that satisfaction that nothing else is but that's just how I look at it. I was there til the end and know how frustrating it was. Leaving SOS at 3am and driving home probably wasn't the best idea but it's done and I look forward to the next event and it looks like March 28th at STS will be it. Again, I hope to see Mr. Trigg back in a car but if he decides to stay out of it, that's his choice too and wish him well with his choices.

Now I just hope we all let this go to rest and move on to better things!

Archived