2015 STS PURE STOCK RULES

WATERBOY

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed watching a very competitive large group last year. Probably the best on the track action of all the classes last year week in and week out. I understand about taking a class a step back to go fwd but I believe this is much too big of a step to take backwards without possibly killing the class altogether. The engine changes was pretty drastic but now the panels and inner structure that has to be put back into cars after being removed and raced I believe will be simply too much work and money for this already budget minded group to get excited about. Coming from someone that simply wants to see a good class take the next step. Hoping all turns out.

Can't believe it has come to this its like the track has cancer and its eating its way from the inside out and having 13 races in a year changing rules no drivers meeting telling drivers that have been supporting this track from 2006 that they can't run there cars anymore people do this for the love of the sport not to be bossed around I'm pretty sure they get that enough at work don't kill racing in south Texas with out drivers there's no track

Heck just run with the Street Stocks.Better than sittin at home I guess.

did it ever cross your mind this is their way with hope of building up that street stock class .. any track that changes as much as they did has a theme to it ...and its not to build the pure stocks up higher solely .its to push the good teams up and let new come in .......happens every track..and man it does back fire sometimes ... .....hope not ...good luck guys ....there is a track near that said my way or highway .it struggles now ..what i have never agreed with was the track should always make the rules never let drivers have any say so or control ....may have been ok way back ,but cars cost more today than then .and when you monkey around with this kind of deal ,it is going to hurt .SOMEBODY. i have no dog in this fight ,but been through this more than once over the last 50 years of racing and hope i have something to give folks to ponder on ..

Those that want to move up, will despite the rules. Those that didn't and for whatever reason, they have to do a lot of work to stay in the class or get out altogether. I don't think there were teams just dominating the field in Pures and you saw a lot of teams get better every week. The STSSS proves there are cars to run that class in each market but not all show up on a weekly basis. If this was done in HOPES to grow one class, then the rule changes that eliminate most of another is not the right way.

Those that want to move up, will despite the rules. Those that didn't and for whatever reason, they have to do a lot of work to stay in the class or get out altogether. I don't think there were teams just dominating the field in Pures and you saw a lot of teams get better every week. The STSSS proves there are cars to run that class in each market but not all show up on a weekly basis. If this was done in HOPES to grow one class, then the rule changes that eliminate most of another is not the right way.

my bet its the gamble they are willing to take .

JMO IF STREETSTOCKS WERENT SO LIGHTWEIGHT IT WOULD BE EASY TO MOVE SOME OF THESE CARS UP. I SOLD A GOOD CAR SEVERAL YEARS AGO THAT COULD NOT GET THE REAR PERCENTAGE WITHOUT BEING OVERWEIGHT AND NOW THEY CAN BE LIGHTER. STS PURE TO STREET, MOTOR AND MOTOR SETBACK, SHOCKS, WEIGHT JACKS, HEADERS, DAUL BRAKE MASTER CYLINDERS, REAR GEARS AND 9 INCH REAREND, INTAKE MANIFOLD, BEADLOCK WHEELS, POSSIBLY 3 LINK AND PANHARD BAR.

LOTS OF MONEY TO MOVE UP. JMO

I don't know. I've never talked to Ken or anyone else at the track making these decisions and trying to decipher all of the rule changes and see how it affects my car then to make a decision of part time racing again, no racing, racing illegal (if I am) or put in the time/money to make the corrections needed if any, or go to another class. Can't afford to travel every week but until CCS puts out their schedule and match it to my work schedule, I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Hi-Tech I don't think that is what is happening.It is simply matching to SOS and now TRP rules.SOS refused to change theirs(don't blame them as their Pure Stocks are full field and good) so STS decided to change theirs to match.The risk is losing a bunch of Pure Stocks.Very few of them have the resources to go Street Stock so they are not going to grow Street that way.An other thing is now the guys/girls are stuck with cars that will be harder to sell because they are illegal in the area.There will be a drop off in car count in 2015.How much remains to be seen.But I think it will grow back in 2016 as more cars will be built.Track made their decision.Teams will either race or they won't.

Ive been hanging around circle tracks since 1969 and I have witnessed on many occasions that the only thing more damaging than too many rules is changing them.Running with no rules does not work eather as the compacts learned.With the Thunder Cars one problem was most asphalt cars are built and bodies added last.Curious how many current STS pures are old asphalt cars.And the formula to build follows the same pattern?Seems like the PS cars are experiencing the same situation the compacts face and thats how to incorporate todays cars.No FWD,no fuel injection,etc along with all Chevy V8 rules means this is a GM metric class more than pure stock.You will eventually run out of doner cars.

In my opinion the smart thing would be to figgure out how to grandfather the existing cars while requiring all new builds to follow the new rules.Engines aside,bodies dont win races and some adjustments can be made to even the field.One solution is for every car that raced in the past at STS to be grandfathered and carry some penalty,like a 350 carb for example.That is easy to check and earnestly can help.I have tons of experience fighting loosing car counts,its a road of no return.Like it or not theres only so many people interested in circle track racing.Loose any and the family gets smaller.FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE OLD CARS while insisting new cars comply!Maybe ask Niel Upchurch because he is the best at incorporating many types of cars.

While you at it figure out why so many people who say they cant afford to race are not getting Sport Compacts that are so inexpensive anybody can afford one.They are easier to maintain,haul around are smaller,lighter,handle better and are faster than pure stocks.I know were kicked back to only 5 races this year and did not have an advertised purse last year but that can change with a good car count.

We are in dangerous territory right now,the future depends on one person and in the past the next step was closure.I suggest you guys with non conforming cars get together and petition for some special consideration.YOU figure it out! It can be done and its up to you to do that,change your car or quit.Griping will not work,it only fortifies the managements resolve.What would you guys give up to be grandfathered?Weight?Carb?Cam?Tires?%s?Restrictor plare?Give them something,then ask for something.In the end we all want the same results.The trick is whatever concession is made (if any)should be less attractive than conforming so when the grandfathered car comes into compliance he is better than when was non conforming.This buys time and thats important when rewriting rules,a commodity ministocks never got.

JMO but the pure stock cars have gotten out of control for the most economical (full body) class. They do not need to have gutted interior and enclosed. The A, B, and C-pillars do not need to be gutted either. I have only cut out what is necessary in the A and B-pillars for roll cage to fit properly.

The camshaft rule has no effect on compression. Compression is due to piston and cylinder head combustion chamber. So a stock chevy piston and 72 cc cylinder head would be fine.

Rear disc brakes are for safety reasons. I never had a problem with rear drum brakes all these years.

I do understand though how it will have an effect on a number of cars. But how are those effected even going to be able to move up to the Street Stock class and be competitive? Street Stock rules are now just a Limited Modified with a stock style body on it. So none of the pure stocks would be able to move up and be competitve. How much fun would that be?

David McGuire

GRAND FATHER IN

IF they were to grand father in the cars that dont meet what the rules are going to be this year .which is most likely 80 percent of em wont meet .then why change em in the first place ..that wont make any sense at all .. just like it does not make any sense to do so many changes they are putting forth now ....

EVERY car out there in pure stock has been on drum brakes to keep cost down , now disc brakes are allowed? not knocking Rhino's aftermarket cause we run them in Limited's but they are 1600.00 +/- (for safety reasons)can you build one cheaper? sure you can but it's still going to cost you 500/600 bucks. but if you have the money why not buy the best available? see where these cost savings are going yet?

This change has gotten out of hand. I think everyone was happy with what we had . If we wanted to race other tracks and there rules then i can see the change. We had a good car count for are dec race. And some of those cars are bad fast. All i see is us getting slower. and next year for this race we are going to get are azz handed to us like we did this year. It was some damn good racing from 11th place that i could see. Best of luck to everyone no matter what happends. Merry Christmas to everyone . Hope to see you all next year :D

OPPS.....Looks like we have a gray area in the rear end rules!

Or do we have a issue with the fact that certian people cannot interpret what "STOCK OEM" or "PURE STOCK" actually means.

Is modifing the outer snouts to accept oversized bearings and Ford axles STOCK OEM???

How about GM to GM, Ford to Ford or Chrysler to Chrysler, does that have any meaning.

I will include detailed specfications on every single OEM part or measurement on these cars if that is what it takes to keep these cars "PURE STOCK" type cars.

All though I agree with the safety benefits of the larger diameter and strengh of the Ford axles, due to cost and deviation from Stock it will not be allowed in the Pure Stock division.

I have a attached a 7.5 Disc Brake Kit which is available from Speedway Motors for $299.99.

This is not required, it is a only a option for 2015.

FYI

I am considering weight placement grandfather clauses for cars with gutted A, B or C pillars, kick panels and rocker panels, your minimum weight will remain at same as 2012 rules at 3400lbs. It will not be a addition of weight penalty, will just have to mount the estimated weight of the OEM material which was gutted from the car in the approx. location on the frame of car. (ballast weight not allowed in drivers compartment).

Firewalls and Floor Pans must remain Stock, this rule was in STS 2012 Pure Stock Rules.

"Stock firewalls and floor pan must remain", also included in the 2012 Rules "Body must be mounted in stock location" I consider the firewall as part of the body, these rules haven't changed, are just going to be enforced.

• Firewalls - must remain Stock and be in Stock Location
  • Floorpan - If you choose to remove and it was allowed (I won't go there), you must replace missing material a with min. of 18 gauge steel and must be a minimum weight of 3400lbs. Must be a minimum of 3/4 of Stock Floor Pan remaining and will be subject to Track Inspection and Approval.

Speedway Motors 7.5 GM Disc Brake Kit.pdf

Trunk metal, A B C pillars......you are going to run off a bunch of cars because of this?? What does it matter if they are there or not?? Worry about the important/expensive stuff!!

Still have no clue who in their right minds came up with the idea to just go and change rules in a class that had great competition and a good car count....glad I got out

Archived