Just Arrived

They paid us for first drew so I'm guessing it was just a typo....great track btw

cool.... Congrats johnny... I was trying to get ya and didnt mean to get into ya. i was rt there when that car spun and you moved over. thats why i came along side ya to tell ya my bad... Was fun racing ya....awesome job..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great night of racing for manard racing 3 heat race wins 1 feature win an a 3th I think I ran the whole race side by side with some one the t9 34 36 t4 first half of the race an the 1 car the rest of the race an never got touched that's racing I was not on my a game Saturday night but could not ask for a better track or drivers around me great job every body track was awesome

Hell this year they're almost dead, most tracks only having 6-7 on a regular night but they're out there and they're all good. That group Chevy is talking about are some of the best and still several strong contenders behind them. And I can still name a couple that weren't there.

Unbelievable perfect racing surface last night, well done

What race track were you at?

I was at the track that had 3 and 4 wide racing in the heat and in the feature. With that being said not much else matters when you have that type of driving. SOS has never had a better surface to race on before. Hats off to them.

I think the track condition whiners are probably the ones that don't know how to set up or drive on anything but a tacky track. I kept close tabs on the track conditions throughout the nite. First, the track stayed smooth all nite. It was never sloppy, but started off somewhat dry slick, but pumped water so that it never went dusty dry slick. You had to run the heats with a dry slick set up. By the time the features started, the track started laying rubber in 2 grooves - a bottom groove and a groove about 1/2 way up the track. If you had been watching the track, you would have set it up for black slick. That's how our car was set up, and it was a bullet. By the time the Late Models got on the track, the rubber was almost 1/4" thick in turns 3 & 4. The drivers that had their cars set up right were about as fast as I've ever seen them----and so were the mods.

Next time, try watching the track and setting your car up right. If you don't know how to do that, try Nick's seminar instead of bashing and/or complaining.

I missed the setup, but quess what it was the same track for everybody. won heat race and didn't want to change car for feature, mistake, led a couple of laps then spun out, worked my way back up to finish third, haven't raced many races at that track, I will pay more attention to track next time. had a lot of fun, cant wait to go back

BOBBY JACK

I really enjoy racing at SOS. I would like my luck to change for the better there. Lol. I am enjoying the close competition of the Street Stock class.

I don't understand the track surface argument. That is what makes dirt racing so challenging and fun. I personally don't care for muddy tracks and hate cleaning the car after those nights but it is fun to gas it up when it's like that. One thing I know for sure, 90% or more of the big shows on dirt will always be dry slick. You race on tacky for the the fun and race on dry slick for the money. Won a few heat races in my time but they don't pay real well. I thought the track was prepped great. My biggest concerns going into the weekend was a "rain out by water truck". Hard to find a surface that would provide better racing than Saturday night with that many cars. Job well done.

Mike Trigg 4t

I would love to offer the seminar for the dirt guys in South Texas. I have talked with a few of you (no names please) and I know there is a huge need for suspension engineering information in the area.

I normally teach the course to asphalt drivers/teams, but folks, the physics involved in any racing racing suspension is the same whether on dirt or asphalt. If you understand the physics of what's happening with the weight transfer, suspension geometry, roll centers and moment arms, you can adjust your car to the conditions without having to rely on some old wive's tale or the trick of the week or what happened last time you tried this or that. The big difference between dirt and asphalt is that I could care less about trying to teach tacky conditions. Anyone with a right foot can run tacky and if it's sloppy, it's just a slip and slide and good for tons of giggles. On asphalt things are a lot more precise and changes you make are in much smaller increments, but the principles are identical on a dry slick or rubbered-up surface.

Have you ever wondered why an asphalt car can come and race pretty decent on a dry slick or black track? Well, wonder no more and sign up for the seminar.

Yes, you can go to seminars that tell you, "Do this or Do that, or Buy this or Buy that," and I have no problem with those sorts of seminars. They help racers with good information and I'm all for that.

But if you want to know what the fastest of the fast know and aren't telling you, you need to go to my seminar. It's not for everyone, that's for sure because we do the math, we do the physics, we do the geometry without compromise. Not everyone gets it and many come back again several years in a row. Some folks never get a good handle on the stuff I teach, but the folks who do eventually find their way to the front. Along that same line of thought, many folks who take that seminar tell me it's too short.. and that's after 18 hours of classroom - six weeks of classes, one night a week. And they're right. The first time I taught it it was at a University - a full length college course!

If I try to jam it all in one weekend it just doesn't work... People can only learn so much at a time. If I go beyond that point folks get all glassy-eyed and look at me like I'm an idiot. Well, they're right, of course. But at least I have the knack for making very complex material understandable enough for the average racer to understand if they put their thinking caps on. I pretend my mom is sitting in the first row and teach the material without using mechanical engineering vocabulary or making you learn the math. I do the math for you by giving you a program that will figure what you need to know. All you have to do is put in the numbers from your car and it figures the rest. And its not the stuff you pay big bucks for. I give it to you free once you've paid the seminar fee.

I just got done teaching this class to the Engineering club at UTSA and even a few of them had that glassy-eyed look! And I've taught a condensed version to the engineers at Southwest Research, so you know the stuff I'm teaching is the real deal.

Anyway, I need 10 or more to make a class and I bet my next paycheck from LSSZ that there aren't enough folks interested to make up a class. I offered it at Corpus Christi a couple of years ago only two people actually wrote checks to attend.

Nick

Nick,

My guess is over 1/2 the cars there sat nite did not set up for a dry slick or black slick track. The 1/2 that did were fast and ran off from the field. I also bet the 1/2 that need your seminar don't think they do. They just bitch about the track conditions. Like Bobby Jack said,

" we all raced on the same track". The difference is some knew how to set up for it and some didn't.

I would love to offer the seminar for the dirt guys in South Texas. I have talked with a few of you (no names please) and I know there is a huge need for suspension engineering information in the area.

I normally teach the course to asphalt drivers/teams, but folks, the physics involved in any racing racing suspension is the same whether on dirt or asphalt. If you understand the physics of what's happening with the weight transfer, suspension geometry, roll centers and moment arms, you can adjust your car to the conditions without having to rely on some old wive's tale or the trick of the week or what happened last time you tried this or that. The big difference between dirt and asphalt is that I could care less about trying to teach tacky conditions. Anyone with a right foot can run tacky and if it's sloppy, it's just a slip and slide and good for tons of giggles. On asphalt things are a lot more precise and changes you make are in much smaller increments, but the principles are identical on a dry slick or rubbered-up surface.

Have you ever wondered why an asphalt car can come and race pretty decent on a dry slick or black track? Well, wonder no more and sign up for the seminar.

Yes, you can go to seminars that tell you, "Do this or Do that, or Buy this or Buy that," and I have no problem with those sorts of seminars. They help racers with good information and I'm all for that.

But if you want to know what the fastest of the fast know and aren't telling you, you need to go to my seminar. It's not for everyone, that's for sure because we do the math, we do the physics, we do the geometry without compromise. Not everyone gets it and many come back again several years in a row. Some folks never get a good handle on the stuff I teach, but the folks who do eventually find their way to the front. Along that same line of thought, many folks who take that seminar tell me it's too short.. and that's after 18 hours of classroom - six weeks of classes, one night a week. And they're right. The first time I taught it it was at a University - a full length college course!

If I try to jam it all in one weekend it just doesn't work... People can only learn so much at a time. If I go beyond that point folks get all glassy-eyed and look at me like I'm an idiot. Well, they're right, of course. But at least I have the knack for making very complex material understandable enough for the average racer to understand if they put their thinking caps on. I pretend my mom is sitting in the first row and teach the material without using mechanical engineering vocabulary or making you learn the math. I do the math for you by giving you a program that will figure what you need to know. All you have to do is put in the numbers from your car and it figures the rest. And its not the stuff you pay big bucks for. I give it to you free once you've paid the seminar fee.

I just got done teaching this class to the Engineering club at UTSA and even a few of them had that glassy-eyed look! And I've taught a condensed version to the engineers at Southwest Research, so you know the stuff I'm teaching is the real deal.

Anyway, I need 10 or more to make a class and I bet my next paycheck from LSSZ that there aren't enough folks interested to make up a class. I offered it at Corpus Christi a couple of years ago only two people actually wrote checks to attend.

Nick

Very well said Nick hopefully people will understand what you have just said

well nick has pointed out a couple of things to me and i go huh....just when i thought i knew what i was doing ..he comes along and destroys darn near every thing i learned over the last 30 years ..till i realize i knew most of it all along but did not know how to use it in its proper place .... he teaches in a way most can understand .including this old hard headed set in his ways person.whats funny his teaching is with dirt set up .

Archived