Alvarado, Crabtree, Batt, Roller, Colyer, McDonald sweep RBMSC weekend

Ryan Bard Memorial, Southern Challenge @ Abilene Speedway 10/17-19

By JM Hallas

Abilene, Tx.,(Oct. 19th, 2014) It was a new ballgame on Sunday with racing in the afternoon on a completely different surface on the 1/4 mile, high-banked, red clay oval. Ten drivers in each class were lucky enough to already have spots in the Ryan Bard Memorial Southern Challenge, with ten other slated for the Big B-main.

IMCA Modified winners, Ricky Alvarado and Kevin Sustaire would make up the front row for their 30-lap Big A-main. Robby Crabtree and Steve Hayes took the position up front for the IMCA Southern Sportmod 30-lapper.

The IMCA stock Cars saw Jason Batt and Robby Edwards lead the way, with Andy Roller and Barrett Hutchison up front the IMCA Hobby Stocks. The ASW Street Stock and Factory winners were Joe Colyer and Michael Whitehead. All would run 30 lap events.

Once again the Texas State Young Guns Jr. Mini Stock Championship would run a full program

Alvarado Aces Modified Main

Turning a business trip into a racing vacation, Delta Colorado's Ricky Alvarado ended up taking home the $3,000 check in the IMCA Modified main. After several attempts, Alvarado led the single file field to green trailed by Kevin Sustaire, Toby Herring, David Davis and Charles Brewer. As Alvarado crept away, Brewer fell back moving Josh McGaha up to fifth.

A restart saw Sustaire hang on to Alvarado's bumper for a while, but halfway Alvarado had a slight lead over Sustaire, Herring, Davis and McGaha. The top three bunched back up with Davis, McGaha and John Gober nose to tail a few car lengths back.

Gober's night came to an end after contact with an infield tire broke the front suspension and veered off track. The yellow gave Sustaire one last chance, but Alvarado, driving for Tommy Fain, held on after a bumper tap and went on to score the big win in the Hanner Super Center, Abilene Race Rads, God is Awesome Racing, Air1, five1seven Designs, crate powered, CAM Chassis.

post-34-0-62688000-1413848943_thumb.jpg

"I'm proud to add my name to list of winners for this race," said Alvarado. "This race has been around a long time and always pulls some tough competition. I came here a couple years ago and finished third. It was nice to come back here and close the deal."

"I had to be at an oil show in Odessa this week. Tommy and I have been friends for a long time and always keep in touch. When he found out I was coming down, he offered me his car to drive. It worked out great for me and driving for a stand up guy like Tommy was my pleasure."

IMCA Modifieds

1 Ricky Alvarado, 71 Kevin Sustaire, 11 Toby Herring, 02 David Davis, 911 Josh McGaha, 717 GW Egbert IV, 28 Cory Davis, 49 Vince Ogle, 85 Neal Flowers, 200 Dean Demming, 52 John Gober, 60 William Gould, 26 Allen Bradley, 117 Jimmy Tidwell, 72 Charles Brewer, 20 Mike McCarthy, 44 Fred Wojtek, 56 Justin Cass, 35 Caleb Stone, 87 Jerry Harpole

IMCA Modified Big B-main(top 10 to Big A-main)

28 Cory Davis, 56 Justin Cass, 49 Vince Ogle, 60 William Gould, 85 Neal Flowers, 87 Jerry Harpole, 35 Caleb Stone, 20 Mike McCarthy, 200 Dean Demming, 26 Allen Bradley, 371 Donald Banker, 9 Danton Odell, 69 Danny Hogue, 80 Raymond McSpadden, 137 Mark Patterson, 81 Gary Silucci, 37 Ben Ketteman, 82 Donald Thatch, 444 Joe Spillman, 83 Chad Estes---DNS

Last Chance Qualifiers(top 4 to back of Big B-main)

LCQ 1; 371 Donald Banker, 9 Danton Odell, 82 Donald Thatch, 69 Danny Hogue, 23 Mikel Powers, 691 Mary Hogue, 113 David Goode sr, 35 Caleb Stone, 31 Doyle Massa, 184 Chance Brown---dns, 423 Will Poston ---dns, 13 Jerry Frydrych---dns

IMCA Last Chance Heats(top 2 to Big B-main)

Heat 1; 85 Neal Flowers, 26 Allen Bradley, 371 Donald Banker, 69 Danny Hogue, 16 David Brown, 113 David Goode sr., 23 Mikel Powers

Heat 2; 37 Ben Ketteman, 35 Caleb Stone, 9 Danton Odell, 184 Chance Brown, 36 Steve Owens, 423 Will Poston

Heat 3; 20 Mike McCarthy, 137 Mark Patterson, 82 Donald Thatch, 31 Doyle Massa, 691 Mary Hogue, 13 Jerry Frydrych

Checkers for Crabtree in Sportmod

Completing his weekend sweep, Abilene's Robby Crabtree went flag to flag in the IMCA Southern Sportmod main. Crabtree jumped out front at the start of the 30-lap, 20-car event. Gabe Tucker fell in line with Justin Shaw, Trevor Egbert and Brian Heard in tow. Shaw was able to get under Tucker for second on lap 2 and was pressuring Crabtree for the lead shortly after.

As the top three ran nose to tail, Bradley Poor took fifth from Heard who fell back. Crabtree narrowly avoided disaster with a spin in front of the lead group almost caught up Crabtree who spun to miss Heard. On the restart Tucker was slow to get going stacking up the field. Coming from deep in the pack, Doug Easterling was making his way forward.

At the halfway point, Crabtree began to stretch out his advantage over Shaw, Tucker, Egbert and Michael Martin, while Easterling made it up to sixth. By lap 25 Crabtree has a three quarter straightaway lead over Shaw as he easily cruised to the checkers in the CrabTree Motorsports,TransOil, Subic Construction, Red Dirt Coating, Howells Truck & Trailer Repair, Total Custom Carbs, Dark Horse Racing, Rhino Rearends, Cowboy Pump & Supply, Fletchers Custom Engines, IRP Chassis.

post-34-0-27778400-1413848914_thumb.jpg

"I knew I was going to have to run thirty perfect laps," commented Crabtree. "I tried to keep the right rear under me. The laps were there, but the tire was not. It was completely gone after the race."

"I'm very pleased with the way the weekend went and very grateful to drive such a great race car."

IMCA Southern Sportmods

118 Robby Crabtree, 55 Justin Shaw, 95 Gabe Tucker, 83 Trevor Egbert, 31 Michael Martin, 88 Doug Easterling, 10 Justin Robinson, 15 Brandon Ross, 92 Damon Hammond, 48 Bradley Poor, 37 Jeffery Abbey, 40 Garett Rawls, 311 Brian Heard, 318 Scotty Cook, 491 Kyle Wisdom, 25 Terry Owen, 169 Raymond King, 69 Bret Young, 951 Steve Hayes, 91 Trevor Raney

IMCA SSM Big B-main(top 10 to Big A-main)

31 Michael Martin, 25 Terry Owen, 37 Jeffery Abbey, 91 Trevor Raney, 15 Brandon Ross, 491 Kyle Wisdom, 88 Doug Easterling, 92 Damon Hammond, 318 Scotty Cook, 811 Landon Parsley, 117 Michael Maraschick, 41 Chad Hughes, 18 Douglas Gillespie, 81 Scot Raney, 62 Tim McDonald, 70 George Egbert III, 14 Brandon Smith, 132 Rodger Pierce, 77 Tyler Fain

SSM Last Chance Qualifiers(top 3 to Big B-main)

LCQ 1; 14 Brandon Smith, 18 Douglas Gillespie, 132 Rodger Pierce, 68 Frank Groves, 7 Junior Dosher, 113 Sarah Goode, 30 David Sanford, 23 Joel Garcia, 07 Allen Williams, 13 Bret Bush, 32 Billie Bivens, 777 Lodi Mitchell

SSM LCQ 2; 81 Scot Raney, 117 Michael Maraschick, 318 Scptty Cook, 16 Eddie Ledbetter, 20 Charlie Underwood, 17 Brannon Davis, 42 Tommy Phillips, 11 John Rister, 1 Michael Galan, 4 Kenneth Graves, 74 Danny Rister--dns, 181 Tim, Ridgeway---dns

SSM Last Chance heats(winner to Big B-main)

Heat 1; 88 Doug Easterling, 14 Brandon Smith, 18 Douglas Gillespie, 132 Rodger Pierce, 32 Billie Bivens', 911 Steve Riojas, 68 Frank Groves, 23 Joel Garcia

Heat 2; 10 Dustin Robinson, 07 Allen Williams, 113 Sarah Goode, 777 Lodi Mitchell, 3 Koty Kowalewski, 30 David Sanford, 7 Junior Dosher, 13 Bret Bush---dns

Heat 3; 70 George Egbert III, 117 Michael Maraschick, 81 Scot Raney, 16 Eddie Ledbetter, 9 Danny Patterson, 20 Charlie Underwood, 181 Tim Ridgeway, 11 John Rister---dns

Heat 4; 811 Landon Parsley, 4 Kenneth Graves, 17 Brannon Davis, 318 Scotty Cook, 42 Tommy Phillips\, 111 Jerry Harpole III, 74 Danny Rister, 1 Michael Galan

Batt Best, then Blows Up

Jason Batt(Harker Heights) has to be the luckiest guy in Abilene tonight. Batt ran 30 flawless laps to take home the IMCA Stock Car main event and as soon as he crossed the checkers, the motor blew up. Batt grabbed the lead from the pole with Matt Guillaume, Dennis Bissonette, David Phillips and Robby Edwards falling in line at the start. As Batt, Guillaume and Bissonette ran nose to tail, Cody Kays moved up into the top five at halfway

The top three stayed within a couple car lengths of each other as they clicked off the laps. With five laps to go the lead trio ran up on slower traffic, while David Goode sr., Robert Barnett, and Tyler Muirhead played bumper tag for sixth. Batt was able to negotiate through the lapped cars with Guillaume hanging on his bumper and Bissonette lurking. At the checkers it was Batt in his Hoffman Fabrication, Brazos Roofing,Teresa Garvin CPA, EQ Heads, Fred Garvin Machine Shop, Victory Chassis in a cloud of smoke rolling to the Winners Circle.

"This has to be the luckiest weekend ever," replied Batt as he stood by his smoldering car. "I messed up in my heat Friday night and lost a lot of spots, but a caution came out and I got them back. Then we drew a 1for the feature and got clipped by a lapped car, but were able to continue. Then we blew the motor on the final lap."

"I loved the fact that my friends finished second and third. I knew Matt would run me clean. He and I trade a lot of information all the time so I wasn't worried about him trying to make a bad move for the spot that might end up costing both of us. This is the biggest win of my career."

IMCA Stock Cars

9 Jason Batt, 50 Matt Guillaume, 07 Dennis Bissonette, 20 Cody Kays, 18 David Phillips, 7 David Goode sr., 44 Scott Kristinek, 221 Tyler Muirhead, 69 Hunter Russell, 777 Tobie Talk, 43 Scotty Cook, 69 Kirk Martin, 28 Cory Davis, 14 Joe O'Bryan, 812 Robert Barnett, 283 Terry Wojtek, 55 Mart Wampler, 95 Robby Edwards, 65 Colby Demming, 131 Mark Lord

IMCA Stock Car Big B-main(top 10 to Big A-main)

69 Kirk Martin, 65 Colby Demming, 28 Cory Davis, 131 Mark Lord, 221 Tyler Muirhead, 43 Scotty Cook, 44 Scott Kristinek, 812 Robert Barnett, 14 Joe O'Bryan, 777 Tobie Talk, 116 Damon Hammond,, 77 Traci Johnson-Jennings, 111 Justin Thomas, 71 Ronnie Christopher, 62 JD Davis, 6 Charles Brown, 10 Levi Ely, 49 Vince Ogle, 183 Robert Garrett, 771 Shane Priddy---dns

IMCA Stock Car Last Chance Qualifier(top 4 to Big B-main)

62 JD Davis, 6 Charles Brown, 183 Robert Garrett, 111 Justin Thomas, 88 Malcolm Kill, 125 Donny Baker, 48 LP O'Neal, 177 Travis Graves, 59 Mike Easterwood, 441 Danny Pattat, 164 Don Phillips, 237 Jordan Lathram, 118 Brandon Hood, 25 John Armstrong, 12 Robert Barnett sr.---dns

IMCA Stock Car Last Chance heats(top 2 to Big B-main )

Heat 1; 777 Tobie Talk, 49 Vince Ogle, 62 JD Davis, 183 Robert Garrett, 441 Danny Pattat, 88 Malcolm Kill, 237 Jordan Lathram, 713 Alex Bannowsky

Heat 2

116 Damon Hammond, 44 Scott Kristinek, 111 Justin Thomas, 6 Charles; Brown, 177 Travis Graves, 48 LP O'Neal, 59 Mike Easterwood, 01 Jack Miles

Heat 3; 221 Tyler Muirhead, 812 Robert Barnett jr, 125 Donny Baker, 118 Brandon Hood, 25 John Armstrong, 164 Don Phillips, 12 Robert Barnett sr.---DQ(tech)

Roller Keeps 'Rollin', Rollin', Rollin"

Stealing a title from Limp Bizkit, Waco's Andy Roller kept on rollin', rollin', rollin for the weekend in the IMCA Hobby Stocks. Friday night's winner, Roller got the advantage over Barrett Hutchison off turn 2 as the 20-lap, 16-car Hobby Stock main kicked off. Hutchison and Jeremy Oliver were side by side for second, with Cody Stone and Rodney Sparks in the top five. By halfway Westin Abbey had worked his way into the top five.

Hutchison slipped up allowing Oliver to snag second as Roller built half straightaway lead. Hutchison fell back to a group with Abbey, Sparks and Stone. A lap 16 restart rebunched the pack, but Roller eased away from Oliver by a couple car lengths and motored on to the win in the Hammock Racing, J&J Carbs, Howards Automatic Transmissions, Berta Bodies, Ben Boat Repair, Southwest Maintenance, KLB Trucking, A&J Custom Paint, Demon Decals, Lambs Muffler, Charger Chassis.

"The car was great," said Roller. "I felt like I had used up my right rear tire before that final caution. I could tell Oliver had gotten by my my cousin Barrett(Hutchison) before that. I Never felt any taps so I just kept hitting my marks."

"White tire racing is very exhausting. Under long green flag runs I got myself into a goofy rhythm and tried not to abuse my tires. I knew if Oliver or Barrett got to me that they would run me clean."

"I had a little luck too. When I got my car back to the trailer the right rear was leaking. I'm not sure how many more laps it had. I always love racing in Abilene and I'm glad Rob(Poor) kept the Hobby Stocks around. It's a great class and I hope it gets rebuilt to where it was."

IMCA Hobby Stocks

63 Andy Roller, 82 Jeremy Oliver, 43 Barrett Hutchison, 12 Westin Abbey, 5 Gerald Spalding jr., 57 Chase Parsons, 22 Cody Stone, 20 Scotty Brown, 01 Shawn Miles, 42 April Phillips, 124 Ryan Wilkerson, 44 Kendall Rea, 0 Rodney Sparks, 72 Ronnie Gregory, 144 Damian Snyder, 13 Wayne Chadwell

IMCA Hobby Stock Last Chance Qualifier(position in Big A-main))

124 Ryan Wilkerson, 144 Damian Snyder, 42 April Phillips, 01 Shawn Miles, 20 Scotty Brown, 24 Stephen Adams, 72 Ronnie Gregory

Colyer Collects Street Stock Checkers

Abilene's Joe Colyer capped of the weekend with another win in the 20-lap, 20-car Street Stock/Factory Stock main. Colyer jumped out front at the start trailed by LP O'Neal, Jonathan Wright, Michael Whitehead and Chase Neill. Neill saw his top five run end early losing a wheel just before halfway. Just past halfway O'Neal slipped high with J. Wright getting the spot. As O'Neal tried to get back to the bottom he sent Stan Sanders around, who got clipped by Erreck Rogers.

Once back under green Whitehead fought his way past O'Neal with Jayson Garner following. As the race wound down Colyer got some breathing room while J. Wright and Whitehead scrapped it out for second. A late caution set up a green, white, checkered finish that saw Colyer get a good jump and cruise on to the victory unchallenged.

ASW Street Stock/Factory Stock

21 Joe Colyer, 98 Jonathan Wright, 89 Michael Whitehead, 28 Jayson Garner, 83 William McNeely, 48 LP O'Neal, 2 Phil Beasley, 325 Robert Hall, 212 Cody Wright, 79 Joshua Jackson, 12 Robert Kindle jr., 19 Stan Sanders, 123 Erreck Rogers, 183 Clay McNeely, 115 Keith Buford, 64 Brian Comer, 011 Chris Pippin, 14 Chad Chance, 1 Chase Neill, 106 Dalton Riley

ASW SS/FS Last Chance Qualifier(top 5 to Big A-main)

LCQ 1; 19 Stan Sanders, 14 Chad Chance, 325 Robert Hall, 183 Clay McNeely, 011 Chris Pippin, 7 Steve Steen, 72 Tony Marcum, 23 Kory Ritchie

LCQ 2; 212 Cody Wright, 79 Joshua Jackson, 115 Keith Buford, 106 Dalton Riley, 12 Robert Kindle jr., 74 Ronnie Gregory---BF, 38 Brandon Gaddis

McDonald Master of Jr Mini's

Kamera McDonald(Keller) scored the Texas State Jr. Mini Stock Championship once again going flag to flag in the main event. McDonald jumped front of Kade Ogle and Cameron Cook on the second start of the 12-lapper. McDonald breifly pulled away from Ogle who reeled her back in and closed up on her bumper after a late caution. Ogle stayed on McDonald the final two circuits, but couldn't make a serious challenge as McDonald took the checkers in her Ford Pinto.

post-34-0-04835600-1413848889_thumb.jpg

Texas State Jr. Mini Stock Championship

62 Kamera McDonald, 11 Kade Ogle, 04 Cameron Cook, 10 Riston Houston, 99 Michaela Scott, 4 Clinton Lindsey Brown

breaking news after some tech results were returned.....

Justin Rowdy C. Shaw

Well, we just got the official. We are the 2014 IMCA Southern Challenge Champion. Due, to a discrepancy the winner was DQ'd. The most awesome part about this whole deal is I heard the news from the original feature winner. That's first class if you ask me. We hate winning this way, but it is what it is. I've gotten so close so many times and it finally happened. I would like to take time to thank everyone that has supported us in the 2014 season and that continues to support us week in and week out!!!!

Fletcher Custom Engines

KSG motorsports

Family RV Center

Dirt Defender Billy Vest

Big Chief Racing Chassis Eddie Martin

Stephenville Starter and Electric Dennis Bissonnette

Lance Shaw Farms

Dupont Racing Shocks

L&M Racing Michael Maraschick

Showtime Signs and Designs Bradley Poor

Extreme Bodies By Josh Mcgaha

Racelogic Chassis School Brian Littleton

My Crew Coltin Fritz and Ty Davis

My lovely Wife Leslee Rea Shaw for putting up with me day in day out and allowing me the opportunity to race the way we do!!!!

Deni Davis Rea for helping with my kiddos and being there for my family 24/7

#rowdycracingspecialties #champforayear #rowdycnation #carryingmomentumtovegas

After results of some off-site tests came back, some motor parts of Robby Crabtree were deemed illegal giving the Southern Sportmod win to Justin Shaw(Sweetwater).

"I hate winning this way," explained Shaw. "But it is what it is. We ended up crossing the line second, which we weren't upset with and thought the weekend was over. Then we got a call from Robby Crabtree that he was found illegal and that we were declared the Ryan Bard Memorial Southern Challenge Sportmod winner. That was a class act in itself. Robby didn't have a cross word word to say and handled it with a first class attitude."

"It was a bittersweet win for us over the weekend. We had a good car all weekend and knew we had a chance starting on the inside row on Sunday. Starting in third row those chances were slim, but we made it to second fairly quickly. We gave Robby a few taps on the bumper trying to cause him to make a mistake, but he never moved. The next plan was to lay back, save the right rear and hope for a late caution."

Archived