2015 South Texas Street Stock Shootout Rule Package

Under Safety it states:

"Racing seatbelts will have dates checked."

Great, so at what point are they considered "out of date"? 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, etc.

SFI Spec 27.1 provides "Date of Manufacture"...so we need to know how old they can be for this rule to have any meaning!

DSCN3132-1024x768.jpg

Question about your cam lobe/lift measurement rules. Based on your information, max lobe lift is 0.367". So, assuming a 1.5:1 ratio rocker arm, you claim a .550" valve lift. (0.367" x 1.5= .550").

Granted this formula is what you find all over the internet. But, what about valve lash ?!?! All "solid" lift cams have a valve lash setting. If I set my valve lash at ".020"-0.30" ...which is completely realistic. This gives me a maximum valve lift of .520"-.530" by your definition. Shouldn't the formula consider the valve lash?

I completely understand it is easier to accurately measure the lift directly at the cam lobe, but all solid lift cams have a valve lash clearance which should be accounted for in the total lift calculation.

In other words, If I have a valve lash of 0.024", I should be able to have another 0.016" of of cam lobe lift (0.024"/1.5=0.016"). So, my cam should be able to have 0.383" of lobe lift! So, my total valve lift would be 1.5 x 0.383" = .574"...then subtract my 0.024" of valve lash yielding 0.550" total valve lift.

Also, it is quite easy to measure the valve lash with feeler gauges during Tech Inspection...no different than running the valves. Once you establish valve lash...then remove rocker arm/lifter to measure cam lobe lift.

In short, I think it is confusing to have BOTH a cam lobe lift rule and a max valve lift rule. Especially if you don't account for valve lash. I would hate to see someone DQ'ed for lobe lift when their true valve lift was completely within spec.

If your goal is to make TECH more exact and "black and white"...then simply go with the cam lobe number...and ditch the gross valve lift part. Then the drivers can choose to run tighter or looser valve lash without penalty.

Its real simple slidejob. Advertised lift is what most people recognize and what most suppliers advertise. We are teching at the cam lobe like I put in "Black and White". I dont care what rockers you run or what ratio you run nor what a feeler guage measure is. Max cam lift at the lobe is .367. This should be "Black and White" once you read it again!

I guess I was confused based on the second sentence "Maximum .550 advertised lift"...I thought it meant you "might" measure actual valve lift. I didn't realize you were referring to a cam card spec. If you are only concerned with .367" lobe lift, and you don't care about our lash or rocker arms...that is all the clarification I needed.

Thanks

As far as racing belts are concerned. We will look at the date and then the condition. Doesnt matter if the date is good or not good. The date and condition will be looked at together. So if your date is bad by a year or so but your car is never outside being rained on and in the sunlight all day then the condition of the belt should be great. We will not penalize people who have good belts but are dated. A fellow driver just broke out a set of belts last week out of the box but were 2 years old and brand new. Perfect example of what I am talking about. However if you bought belts last year but leave car outside and they look to be in bad shape we will tell you to replace them based on the condition we see. So race #1 we will inspect.

As far as racing belts are concerned. We will look at the date and then the condition. Doesnt matter if the date is good or not good. The date and condition will be looked at together. So if your date is bad by a year or so but your car is never outside being rained on and in the sunlight all day then the condition of the belt should be great. We will not penalize people who have good belts but are dated. A fellow driver just broke out a set of belts last week out of the box but were 2 years old and brand new. Perfect example of what I am talking about. However if you bought belts last year but leave car outside and they look to be in bad shape we will tell you to replace them based on the condition we see. So race #1 we will inspect.

You continue to say you will check the dates...but then immediately say the date doesn't matter. So why check it?!?! Emphasizing you are only concerned with overall condition. Then you again make the statement "So if your date is bad by a year...". Again, you have no definition of a "bad date". The date on the belts is "Date of Manufacture"...NOT AN EXPIRATION DATE. All SFI 27.1 dates will be a date in the PAST...so when is it considered "bad"?

In other words, why not change the rule to what you have said: "Belts will be inspected for overall condition and functionality regardless of age, tech inspector's evaluation is final".

By the way, Speedway motors has some SIMPSON belts on clearance that are dated 2007! They are in mint condition...just old stock. So, based on the rules these would be a deeply discounted option for a driver to pick up some nice "new" belts. They even have some cam-lock belts.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-Simpson-6-Point-Harness-Cam-Lock-Pull-Up-Seat-Belt-Set-Black,99377.html

Starting today if anyone wants a question answered or commented on you will post who you are and what team you are with. My time is valuable and I will not be answering every single question or comment unless I know they have a vested interest in the shootout series. Secondly I really dont care if some dont like my answers regarding certain questions. My recommendation go spend 1000 hours a year putting together your own series and countless meetings with sponsors and supporters so you can have about 3 hours on entertainment each month. Thanks for everyones support.

Remember I want your name, car number, engine builder, chassis builder whom ever you are listed with your question otherwise I will simply disregard any question and will eventually have it totally removed.

I agree in some ways also have to remember these rules affect everyone that runs at any of the tracks involved rather they have a vested interest in shootout or not because their tracks are using these rules for regular nights also. I agree Stephen puts in tons of time into this that he doesn't have to and I think we should all be more civilized when getting clarifications from him including myself on a few occassions. He is doing this to try and help class and that is what we all need to remember sometimes.

Are Ford's going to have aftermarket type heads? We built our Ford 351 W by Cotton Bowl rules but since they have adopted your rules are we going to have a choice in aftermarket replacement heads. World Products 53040-1 or 2 Cast # 1-061, these heads are street legal for Ford Replacement Heads. We raced this motor at Cotton Bowl last year.

Patrick Kelly #84k

Street Stock/Sport Mod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived