I-37's Frank Torres' status

NeilTPS

I-37 Speedway’s Frank Torres Hospitalized - Heart Surgery delayed

San Antonio, Texas -

On Wednesday, January 5, I-37 Speedway General Manager Frank Torres collapsed and was transported by EMS to the Downtown Baptist Hospital in San Antonio. The preliminary diagnosis was that Torres had suffered a partial stroke.

On Friday, January 7, his doctors changed the diagnosis to a heart attack.

Open heart surgery was scheduled for Tuesday, January 11.

On Tuesday, January 11, I spoke to Frank. Following are statements from Frank Torres:

"My surgery is on hold. The doctors tell me they want to disolve a blood clot on my brain before open heart surgery can be performed. The date of the surgery is unknown at this time. After I completed reading the posts on this TSZ thread to Frank. he said he wants to thank everybody for their support and prayers. However, Frank requested that calls to his hospital room be minimized due his sedated condition".

Updates on the condition of I-37 Speedway General Manager Frank Torres will be released by the I-37 Speedway Press Department as warranted.

This up-date was posted at 1:00pm, Tuesday, January 11, 2005 by Neil Upchurch, I-37 Speedway Press Department.

With Franks pending surgery tomorrow I gave him a call at the hospital tonight. Despite being well sedated, he seemed in good spirits and I even got him to laugh a couple times. Right now the surgery is on hold possibly until Wednesday. They found a blood spot on his brain scan that may be from a clot that came from his heart attack. They will look at it again tomorrow and decide a course of action from there.

He assured me that "the new improved" Frank would be back at the track again. His hopes are to run and win the CCMS Enduro as his grand return.

Update as of Jan 14 @ 10:25am -

Information from the track office:

"His doctors changed the diagnosis of a blood clot on Frank's brain to a tumor in his brain. No heart surgery can be performed until the blood thinning process they had started to dissolve the suspected blood clot is reversed. The status of the type of brain tumor is undetermined as of this time".

Updates will be posted here when received.

Neil Upchurch

I-37 Speedway Press Department

Am sure that with procedures in operations the brain tumor removal will not be a problem..

My wife and a grandaughter(age 9 ) both had have brain tumors removed and are now living a full and active

life....

Frank is a strong man and with our prayers and

the good doctors and modern medicine procedures

these problems will be overcome...

Now the heart problem concerns me---but also

heart surgery today is almost as simple a pulling

a tooth----SO

ALL will be Ok with gods help ---lets all say a special

prayer for our friend...

Big Al

I went up and seen Frank yesterday and he was in great sprits and talked for about an hour and a half,he looked good and was alert,they did angiplasiy(SP),and said the medicine was to desolve the 2mm tumor,if it wasnt for the stroke /heart attack they wouldnt have found this and it would have continued to get bigger and would have been much,much worse.,so good thigs do come out of other fate.Had a great time chatting with Frank and our thoughts and prayers are with you.Good luck on the desolving and heart surgury.

thanx to all for the support.i am a out patient till a few things get worked out.i get therapy to get my strength back that was lost. medical is a great thing.the doctors can fix just about anything witout freaking one out.....i have lots to do still but look at life in a different way today.i thank god for sur and at the same time want to thank all you guys and gals.....frank t.,i37speedway

Whoo Hoo!

Glad to hear your on the mend! We have been praying for you!

Does this mean the trip to the Ice Breaker is still on? I sure hope so. Let me know if there is anything I can do for ya.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Archived