Which Night?

drew

Doing a general but important poll. I started one on FB but thought I would ask here.. Which night is preferable....Friday night or Saturday Night for racing? Now.....please dont read into this...just getting some general opinons.....more to follow....ready go...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing a general but important poll. I started one on FB but thought I would ask here.. Which night is preferable....Friday night or Saturday Night for racing? Now.....please dont read into this...just getting some general opinons.....more to follow....ready go...

It's the exact same thing, only different. LOL

There are only two instances where Friday races work well.

1) When another nearby track is located nearby and is promoted by the same promoter who races one of the tracks on Friday and the other on Saturday with the same classes and rules for both tracks. Pan American Speedway in San Antonio and Paramount Speedway in Austin, both promoted by Ricci Ware, Sr, is the classic Texas example.

2) When a national sanctioning body, such as IMCA, offers points for racing on a sanctioned Friday track when all the other tracks in the region are racing on Saturday.

Stand-alone Friday tracks have a hard time making ends meet since so many folks work on Fridays and since so many areas have Friday night football games from late August on through the fall.

Nick

Back in the day, Friday night racing at 37 was fun. It also freed up the rest of your weekend for other family fun "honey do list"... Lol.. But we live close so it was good for us at bar-c racing..however it didn't last long for a reason. I would guess because of travel times for other cars in these economic times.. History should teach us something...for a new launch track Friday would probably be hard swing...Saturday just make more sense...JMO.. Could try a Friday night race every other month or so... Test run it... Puts a little excitement back in the workweek ... We will show regardless ... My two cents...

BS08...you make a good point. I remember the fridays then saturday switch at 37... Its looking more like a saturday night census. One thing we want to do is get as much driver...fan imput as possible so the voices can be heard and things developed with as much openess as possible.. We all know not everyone is gonna be happy....but....what do we really do this for? so thanks for your input.........Keep the opinons comming!......more to follow

I think Saturday is more feasable, even for SA guys it can still be an hour haul with trailer to Pleasanton and that's if you miss SA traffic on a Friday night and you're in North SA or New Braunfels, Schertz etc. Plus if you want any out of towners to come in, they would need incentive missing a workday. However, should 37 re-open and race Sat nights, I'd highly suggest working with the other nearby tracks on scheduling the best that you could that way you have better shots for car counts and work with nearby tracks on rules packages as well.

Sat. for sure. Don't get me wrong, I love Fri. nite racing. It leaves the rest of the weekend open. Fri. are only good for those that live close to the track. If you're going to do something in So. SA/Pleasanton area, most of the racers are going to be a minimum of an hr away. If you don't get off work until 5 or 6 it's a little tough to get to the track on time. It's been my experience that most employers are not real sympathetic to racing over work.

Most are alluding to it with the distance and difficulty with work schedules, I think Fridays only work in areas where there's an abundance of tracks in the area. Pleasanton is a rural area that's what 20 or so miles just to SA city limits and most of those drivers would be from the SA metro area or the towns on outskirts or other rural areas. The only other way is if long traditions were in place like Heart o Texas so they've already had the adjustment period for Friday night racing. That being said, Drew I hope you're onto something here and you guys get your track back soon.

Really Andrew....this isn't central Iowa!

If there were more racers in this area, then perhaps, but Texana didn't close due to too many cars/fans....37 had some decent/steady car counts, but lacked fan count, plus some other issues that I won't go into....

2) When a national sanctioning body, such as IMCA, offers points for racing on a sanctioned Friday track when all the other tracks in the region are racing on Saturday.

Gone are the days of IMCA points chasers coming this far south....1) They have Boyd, Mountain Creek(Grand Prairie) and Heart o Texas(Waco) to run on Fridays, so they have a selection if one rains out.....2)IMCA changed the way points are calculated, putting more emphasis on number of cars in the field when it was only ten or more cars got full points....3) No other south Texas tracks are, or want to be, IMCA....4) The north Austin area IMCA guys would not only have Friday Austin traffic to deal with, but San Antonio traffic as well...the double whammy....

I hate to be the one to pee on your post toasties, but the reality is, the racing mentality in south Texas is far different that any other area I've lived in and that's just the way it is....

If you run Fridays then you're not going to be competing against cotton bowl on Saturdays. Half the field that runs Cottonbowl is from Austin area and south I bet you have a decent show on Friday nights. Just gives another option for guys to run Friday night south instead of having to drive to hot. It takes me a little over two hours to get from my house in Pleasanton to Cottonbowl if you start at eight I think you have a good field every Friday.

Archived