A owners look at this past week

I thought I would give everyone my impression and a self rating this past weekend.

The Track Personal: I could not be prouder of the attitude and commitment each of you have. You work hard often in hot and dirty conditions. Even with that each of you have a positive attitude and I am trully great full. I could not do it without you.

The track itself: As always we struggle to have a perfect track each and every race. We are working hard to have reliable equipment to help in this. WE are trying different methods to get the best possible track we can for you all

The facility: WE are working here as well. We are adding vents for the concession area, painting and redoing roofs. I am looking for some conex trailers to add a parts warehouse and some more storage area. We also are working on building a Motor cross track. This is in the works and hope to have this complete in a month or so. We also want to update bathrooms and tech facilities. We just reworked all the lights and you should have noticed the lighter facility this week.

The races: Car counts have been great. The on track competition has been exciting and fun to watch. A couple of things we are aware of is how late we finish. We are working to speed the races up by taking care of cautions faster, Lining up cars faster and making sure we start on time.

The Calls on the track: This is always a tough one. I have to say the calls have been better. However I find it hard to always be black and white. For example I know of two cautions in the Limitids where no one was sent to the back. I don't like that in most cases however I felt in this case the best scenario was to let the drivers drive it out. I think in the end it was the right call. It was one of the best races of the night and made for some great excitement. We will continue to work on this and do the best we can to make the right call we feel at the time.

The Fan Experience: We are trying lots of stuff to make each week different and exciting for the race fans. Thanks to sponsors we have had giveaways and raffles. We also tried this week a fan redraw. We added music to the event this week and have upgraded the sound system. We are running drink specials. I will continue to work at ways to make it fun for the fans...

The Pits: I can honestly say I am proud of each and everyone of our drivers. We have had no fighting in the pits at all. Also every time any driver has had a issue with a call or the way we handled something it was brought to me with respect and calmness. The amount of work each of you are putting in your cars I know has been a lot. Your cars look good and are fast. I was sitting back really noticing the amount of talent each of you have. Since I have been a mediocre driver I can really see the talent you all have.

The Sponsors: Thank you: Tecate, Lone Star Miracle Method, Sames Ford, DS&S, Apollo Towing, Armed Forces Supply, Pro Line Fabrication, Harley of Corpus Christi, Dawson Recycling, H&H Iron and Metal, CC Rentals, Ainsworth Trucking

The Future: We will continue to make changes where we need to. We will work on the facility and the races. Please remember to be positive when talking on the internet. This track is not mine. It is ours. Lets work together to make it the best place to be.

Ken Hobbs

Mr Hobbs,I believe you deserve a grade of "A".I have raced for probably 25 or more different promoters over the last 45 years and have seen how difficult it can be.This is a job few can handle,theres more gripes than praize usually.The future looks good in your hands.

My personal hope is respectfully when you have the bases covered you can spend a little time with Sport Compacts and get this class off the ground.Theres much promise here and a full field of compacts can actually help as we pay the same pit pass costs as everyone else and every car brings its followers.We just lack leadership right now.

Thanks again for all you do for all of us racers and fans and good luck with the building of your outdoor Sports Arena.Im working on my bikes right now for the bikefest in Oct and will be racing there this Sat nite.Thumper says hello. G.B.

I have no doubts he has ALL the drivers and fans best interests in mind but there are so many different people out there and he will never make everyone happy, but he's trying and for that, he deserves support. I may not agree or you may not agree on everything he or the track decides to do on decisions or prep or what have you but he does seem to be willing to listen and try to find a mutual understanding. He didn't have to come on here to explain himself or tell us anything but I'm glad he did. To me, that shows he cares and he's willing to try to make things better. I'm glad the bathroom is getting addressed though.. Everything else seems to be heading in the right direction and as he said, they're trying different things. Some will work, some won't. If you have ideas, try to talk to him but I'm sure he's very busy trying to make STS the best he can make it. Good luck the rest of the year STS staff and drivers, see y'all Saturday.

WELL dont you just hate when an owner gets on here and thanks everyone and explains the situations and ask for time to get things right ............... DANG that cuts off any negative thoughts you may have .and cant doubt where his heart is ........what is the world coming too .................. we have not raced sts this year being we are running at cts ...but look forward if and when we can field a car for a race or two ......now folks dont throw stones at me for being nice here that would hurt ...and i hope not to get that dreaded edit ...

Ken is using the LSSZ forums the way they were intended to be used. He has caught on pretty quick that if anyone decides to attack him and/or the track I will step in. This makes it possible to be upfront and available rather than the opposite.

I just wish all Texas Short Track owners and promoters would use the forums to step out of the negative into the positive.

And I really applaud the members of this STS forum who are on board with my "keep it positive" stance here on LSSZ.

Nick

I've sat in the stands as a fan and often wondered how one person can be in two places at once but Mr. Hobbs has seem to have pulled that off. STS is off to a great start this year and with everything they have going on and all the GREAT races I have been able to attend out there I will continue to go. Kinda like HiTech im running my car at CTS and CCS but im really thinking hard on trying "Dirt" on the weekends that don't conflict with my asphalt schedule, we'll see.

Anyway, Hats off to the Crew and Staff at STS!

REALLY WISH I WOULDA WON ONE OF THOSE BBQ PITS THOUGH LOL! Lucky Nick Thompson (Bomber #64)!!!!!!!

As a fan in the stands, I have a couple suggestions first the announcer kept saying it was MGD night - Miller Genuine Draft Is my beer of choice but they didn't have any It was Miller regular Very disappointing for MGD lovers.

2nd the drawing for places I could do with or without it added a lot of time to a late night. But if you keep it do away with the envelopes as it took the people forever to open them.

The night was great, I enjoyed it so much I went out a bought a dwarf car, so I really hope you do the practice nights as well. Keep up the good work

Archived