New Track?

niceguypb

I thought the Battleground speedway in Highlands had some great races, and seemed to be an excellent size for dirt cars. Maybe a few of the Houston guys can comment. Why did that track shut down anyway?

Thanks,

Mel

The track shut down due to noise & the owner being killed in a car accident a couple of years ago. While this is the first dirt track I went to, I find the racing much more exciting on 1/4 mile....Battleground is too big if you ask me

Brenda Dancer

B grounds demise began when HMP opened up and the owners went and leased Battleground and then shut it down. After the lease was up others tried to make it work but lots of noise complaints from people that prob. moved in while the track was dormant and then got surprised when it opened up JMO. Then an unfortunate death gave way to its closing again. Excellent banking, wide and layout though . If duplicated but more close to a large 1/4 mile would be nice.

something different- build one of those mickey thompson/corr offroad type tracks-race some offroad trucks and buggys-let em hit some jumps-grab some air-fly around some corners side by side in the mud-tear off some body panels banging into each other -hell that would be some fun-:P:P:P

please do it,there is a need for a dirt track in my "backyard",i 've got to wipe the drool off of my computer, that would just be too cool.

To all of you who have given me The Good, The Bad, & The Ugley...Thank you very much. Anyone else with thoughts please let me know, anyone else with interest in the track if we move forward let me know. I am going to try and catch some races this month...

Sooo Drive Hard, Drive Fast, but by all means Drive Safe...

Paul

"Asphalt is just used to get to the DIRT......"

i hear nascar guys say all the time "i'm just running this until i can get a WoO ride.....

you've got something growning in your dirt-and it sounds as if you've been trying to smoke it....

dirt tracks in most sittuations, are in exsistence because the owners could'nt afford asphalt....

Shawn, Two Cup Champions, Tony Stewart and Jeffy-poo both started on dirt. Your boy Robby got started in the sand. LOL :lol: Heck even NA$CAR started on the beach and ran dirt tracks as part of the series in the beginning. ARCA still runs Springfield, Ill. as part of that series.

dirt tracks in most sittuations, are in exsistence because the owners could'nt afford asphalt....

LMAO, I really doubt that.

that's precisely more point.....did they go from asphalt to dirt(the premiere series to the series that can't buy t.v. time-WoO)?

nascar started on dirt , then they made a little money and could afford to pave....not the other way around.....

i have nothing against dirt,my grandfather ran on it for 30 years(he's from illinois)...just a problem with his comment...it's so far from the actual reality of this sport, it's funny....

if they build a track in new braunfels i want to race dirt-but i still would want to run asphalt....just like guys that run dirt all the time have to have a want to race asphalt....his comment would be like me saying that dirt guys run dirt because they could'nt afford to run asphalt...is that factual? probably not-but neither is his...

niceguypb,

I'm an asphalt racer, so i don't know a whole lot about the dirt game, but why don't you get with Joe Horne and Frank Torres for next season. There are a lot of dirt cars around, but somewhere the 2 tracks will compete. I think they would welcome you in especially if you guys can work together. Everything I have heard about I37 speedway, since Joe Horne has been involved, has been positive. I know he did an excellent job when he was at the asphalt track.

Just a thought.

Mel

Paul..

Hope you can make it to i-37 Saturday the 8th

You will enjoy the races.I will guarantee that---

Get Frank Torres to introduce you to everybody and make sure that

I get to meet you.. We will not bring car--its still in trailer from Mcallen--

we are building a conversion hauler--so racing on hold for about another 30-45 days

Get there a little early--its a lot easier to talk before than during or after races----

I will be around the press box someplace

see ya there

Big Al--(no not that Big Al )

Mel/Al, Part of my conversation with him included an invitation to come to I-37 for a Winter Series race and that I would introduce him to Joe and Frank. That way he could get a feel of what dirt track is about, without just jumping in with both feet.

Shawn, don't take it to heart bud, it's just an old expression. :)

Jim

I was sure that you invited Paul to the races,but just wanted to add to that invitation and want to meet him... also..

I think that a track there would draw a crowd of cars..

just hope that if it is built that the neighbors dont bitch and

complain like they are doing at Thunder Hill---

see ya saturday

Al

crazyhorse.

People that run dirt do it because of several reasons one the rules are wide open and its not follow the leader racing not because of cost.

Paul

Thanks for thinking about putting a dirt track in the N.B. area. Don't judge what you see at I-37 there is several dirt tracks that you need to take a look at Houston motorsport park { the one at the dragstrip } also Devils Bowl in Dallas. One thing to look at is the size, anything less than a 3\8 mile is to small to run sprint cars and late models even if you only have a touring series come in every once and a while. I would support a dirt track close to Austin Im tried of traveling hours to go race on a weekly basis.

Another thought is building a 1/4 mile or smaller track and gearing it towards the smaller cars like dwarfs and mini sprints and even micro sprints to get the kids racing. a track that size with out much banking i would think you could flat track bikes and 4 wheelers also.

whats wrong with building 2 tracks in one like irwindale? Has anyone ever done a progressive banking dirt track? You would probably have to make the difference noticable do to dirt being moved around during the season. then build a smaller track inside to host go carts, micros, and dwarfs/legends.

JMO

J.C

a few ideas that I have for the ski ranch track.

I personally always liked the layout of the Goliad track. Big high-banked 3/8th on the outside, smaller 1/4 on the inside. I do like it at I-37 and CCMS that the cars come in front of the grandstands. Good way to get the fans enteracting with the drivers.

Also if the track gets advertising it will get noticed more than most of the tracks within the same area. It will allready generate a lot of publicity with it being close to the ski ranch.

I don't feel that I-37 and the ski ranch track will be in the same market when the summer racing series come into full swing. Doesn't a large percentage of the car count from I-37 come from CC or south of SA anyway?

A good way to start would be to run 37 on Friday, Kerville on Sat, Ski Ranch on Sunday. A tripple threat show could bring some of the big IMCA point chacers down.

Racer5,

Sounds like some great idea's, I spoke with Frank last week and we were going to meet up over this last weekend to discuss opportunities. I was so sorry to hear about the attack, Frank seems to be well respected and I wish him a speedy recovery. As you stated, The Texas Ski Ranch does bring alot of publicity with it because of the various Extreme sports and location. I believe a Dirt Track would be a very good fit if the driver's, track owners, promoters think so and we could get the right people in charge of it...Alway's easier said than done! Thank you for your thought's ... They are appreciated.

Paul

www.texasskiranch.com

Archived