fuel cells

I have a question concerning fuel cells. I'm wanting to change out the fuel tank for a fuel cell for safety purposes in our sport compact. What if any are the rules on this? I know it has to be enclosed in a 1/8" metal housing but I can't find anything else in the rules about it.

I know they will allow fuel cells. Remember if you run a fuel cell you will also need an electric fuel pump. I have yet to see anyone have problems with stock gas tanks in that class and it has been going for years. They are designed to be safe from the factory. You could consider some extra bars or steel plate around tank for protection.

Actually I'm wanting to cut weight and be safer so adding steel to a car that only runs 130 hp or so and weighs around 2400 lbs would be like throwing out an anchor. :) Every pound reduction is great on these cars since we only can do it in just a few ways.. The Elantra has a 14.5 gallon tank and we have to keep it around half full to get through a race due to the centrifugal force in the corners. Gas weighing around 6lbs a gallon means I'm carrying 25-30 lbs plus the weight of the tank I can't ever use. Now if everyone will just forget I told the reason I'm asking this I sure would appreciate it!!

His first race he said he was hanging back at first because of all the bumping and banging and after about 8 laps his tires gave up. We're learning and the tires we ran blistered and chunked out really bad. I've got a lot of little things I've still got to do to the car before Aug. 9 but I think he'll do a little better. The car has the power as we have the same motor as the 5 car.

the weight of water is rounded to 8.33 at 70 degrees. 113 race gas has a SG of .734 so your correct on your 6.2 lbs. a gallon. be careful on putting the fuel cell in. if you put it in the trunk you will really be adding the weight up high and if you cut the floor out to mount it low you will be illegal. Also if you mount it in the trunk you will without question have to sheet metal the rear seat area to keep any gasoline out of the driver area in the event of a rupture roll over and such. (SAFTY FIRST)Don't know if less weight up high is better than more weight down low in these cars. In a late model I would say it is not. In a sport compact I'm not sure but I am leaning towards no. I would think you still need 3-4 gallons so you are saving 4 gallons or roughly 24 lbs. maximum. But you are moving the 3-4 gallons (18-24lbs.) you need to race up about a foot or so higher, plus the weight of the fuel cell. and the sheet metal to seal it in. I'm not sure they will let you remove the gas tank even if its not being used. You'll have to ask them that. so I personally don't think it is worth the expense. I think you'd be better off spending your money on the things the winning cars have done to theirs. don't know if that helps but I've spent money that didn't help to stay in the rules and that sucks.

All I know for sure about water is a 5 gallon bucket is heavy!! I've been going to school online since we got the car and am learning so much at times I think my head will explode by the time I go to bed at night!! There is really a lot of info out there, good and bad, on any and all topics involving our cars if you look for it! I always thought water was around 7 lbs, but glad to hear it really is heaver. Gas I have learned varies according to it's temperature. The hotter it is the less it weighs. I learned how to figure the size fuel pump I'll need for the car using the specific gravity of gas and some other figures. I'd have to look it back up to tell you how I figured it. I think it was on a summit racing video I watched this morning.

Actually, with the fuel mileage these 4 cylinders get we could run a 20 lap race on 1 gallon. 20 laps is only 7.5 miles and we still get almost 20 mpg.. The 4 cyl. fwd are different for sure. All the set up is backwards to a rwd and in this class just plain old weigh is the enemy. I know some of the guys talk about losing just half a lb is important for us because we're so under powered.

well if you need more than

Actually, with the fuel mileage these 4 cylinders get we could run a 20 lap race on 1 gallon. 20 laps is only 7.5 miles and we still get almost 20 mpg.. The 4 cyl. fwd are different for sure. All the set up is backwards to a rwd and in this class just plain old weigh is the enemy. I know some of the guys talk about losing just half a lb is important for us because we're so under powered

WITH OUR TEAM .we won two championships and over 70 races .one old probe with a heavy driver and not much power . bobby chaffie .raced against that probe .. and .one very heavy v6 four door honda accord with less power than the 4 banger honda ......we could not do any thing but gut it ...no extra tie in roll cage .no camber adjustments and all tires had to be the same ....no racing fuel cells .just what it had factory .....the main thing is choosing the correct tires .and do not over drive the car .i see alot of that at cts ..dont try to get a lot more than what the car will give you .be smooth be smart ..cc wil wipe a tire out faster than any track around here ..kyle is a puppy on tires ...we did not win just because we had the fastest cars ....

Actually, with the fuel mileage these 4 cylinders get we could run a 20 lap race on 1 gallon. 20 laps is only 7.5 miles and we still get almost 20 mpg.. The 4 cyl. fwd are different for sure. All the set up is backwards to a rwd and in this class just plain old weigh is the enemy. I know some of the guys talk about losing just half a lb is important for us because we're so under powered

WITH OUR TEAM .we won two championships and over 70 races .one old probe with a heavy driver and not much power . bobby chaffie .raced against that probe .. and .one very heavy v6 four door honda accord with less power than the 4 banger honda ......we could not do any thing but gut it ...no extra tie in roll cage .no camber adjustments and all tires had to be the same ....no racing fuel cells .just what it had factory .....the main thing is choosing the correct tires .and do not over drive the car .i see alot of that at cts ..dont try to get a lot more than what the car will give you .be smooth be smart ..cc wil wipe a tire out faster than any track around here ..kyle is a puppy on tires ...we did not win just because we had the fastest cars ....

I totally agree with everything you've said. Especially about tires and overdriving. I'm working on the tires and TRYING to get Eric to not overdrive the corners. He's doing ok I've just got to find a way to get him going into the corners lower/easier and coming out hotter.. He'll learn though. This last race was his first and he will learn after burning up some tires. I make him pay for them!! :-)

I want to get him into a driving school somewhere soon. He doesn't know just how much he doesn't know!!

I totally agree with everything you've said. Especially about tires and overdriving. I'm working on the tires and TRYING to get Eric to not overdrive the corners. He's doing ok I've just got to find a way to get him going into the corners lower/easier and coming out hotter.. He'll learn though. This last race was his first and he will learn after burning up some tires. I make him pay for them!! :-)

I want to get him into a driving school somewhere soon. He doesn't know just how much he doesn't know!!

seat time on the track in that car is the only way .. ,,,some cars are good on the bottom ..and that is where everyone else races ..we won most of our races not running where every one else races .....its just going to take some time and trials to get where you want to be .i never put pressure on the driver more then i had too .they cant learn that way if i am driving the car for em . go after one car at a time thats faster than you .and forget the ones you cant catch yet ...soon enough you be up front .

Hi Tech, we are going to do just that. One car at a time... I'm letting Eric figure things out as he goes. I know I can't drive for him. WE actually have a good working understanding, off the track the car is mine, when he goes on the track it's up to him to put the car as far forward as he can and hopefully not bend it too bad.. I get his feedback, ask questions and watch how he's driving and how the cars handling for my work. Plus all the research on set up and adjusting things.. I enjoy my part and I know he enjoys his..One thing I'm learning is I really like learning the cars and sharing what I'm learning.

THAT is what it is about ..i do the same with my son .though we have raced a few years now. but the learning never stops .. his passion to win and run great can make it hard sometimes when things dont work out .but it is short lived if we get mad .more frustrated .but we get over it fast ...right now 3 races not running good makes you wonder why you do it .but after 31 years it is part of racing it isnt the first time and wont be the last trying to figure out what is going on ..the driver is doing what he needs to do .it is up to me to make it run .... i think we have got ahold of it now and should have it running like it should next race ..

If you're able to make it CTS on the 9th I look forward to meeting you. I believe we met your son this last race here. I met so many people I can't remember who everyone was.. Had a great time and looking forward to doing it all over again!

If you're able to make it CTS on the 9th I look forward to meeting you. I believe we met your son this last race here. I met so many people I can't remember who everyone was.. Had a great time and looking forward to doing it all over again!

got up there late last race .that darn outlet mall got in the way ..so i did not have the time to get around to meeting every one .....races had already started ........

top shelf time will tell ...we are working hard at it hopefully get out to a track next week and put some laps on or go find a county road somewhere some ones big back yard where we can put it through some hard running ..

Hi Tech, have you seen the size of those shoes!! He wears a size 14-15. I figure if I can get the car to fit his feet we'll have a winner!!!

Yeah, gas at normal temps weighs approx. 6.2 lbs/gal while water is like 7 lbs/gal.

ALL I KNOW IS 5 GALLONS OF ANYTHING IS HEAVY TO ME NOW ..LOL......JUST MOVE HIS SEAT INTO THE BACK AND EXTEND EVERY THING ELSE TO REACH ...WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ONE OF OUR OTHER DRIVERS WE BENT THE CLUTCH PEDAL AWAY FROM THE BREAK PEDAL ..ONE FOOT FIT BOTH .......DANG BIG FOOT ...

Archived