Memo to autodoctor911

Memo to autodoctor911

We have attempted to answer your numerous questions on this site, but realize that it is a never ending and unproductive chore. It appears that you are in Austin. We have invited you to call me at my local Austin phone numbers where your matters could be more efficiently discussed.

TPS Rules are the product of 39 years of experience and careful development which we stand behind and all TPS members use without difficulty. If you become a TPS car owner/driver, the same will be expected.

Since you have not called us, we will not attempt further written answers to your questions.

Respectfully,

David Mackey
Race Director
Texas Pro Sedans
(512) 280-4869
(512) 913-9364
d,mackey84@yahoo.com

This Memo was approved by the TPS Race Director and composed by the TPS Publication Office Director

really mike i think it was just talk ... when we built the shark we talked a lot with neil ..sent pics of every aspect of the build to neil ..if this guy is going to race tps he would have already got a hold of either neil ;or dave ..so i do think it was all hot air ..now if he wants me to eat crow .show up with a car ..i am hungry i like my crow medium .just a little salt would be good ..

I appreciate the answers that were given. I am sorry if I went too far in my comments or questions. I am working on getting the parts together for a rebuild of a 3tc for the Celica. As for the old pushrod motor I thought the rules are pretty straight forward, so I didn't call for any clarifications yet. I am coming out to watch tonight. I will walk around and try and find some of you guys to talk with if you have time.

Sorry about all of the questions. I will stop asking any questions online. I appreciate the answers from other racers regarding issues related to their preferences, opinions and experiences. I actually got some good answers as far as what various configurations of car have run and whether or not they are competitive, and some information of cars that might be available, and I was able to find a car to run from Jason.

I guess rule interpretation questions can only be answered over the phone. I can make a phone call if I have to, But I think that would take up more of your time than actually answering the questions on here would, as well as leave more possibility for miscommunication, or one or both of the parties just forgetting what exactly was said. I don’t have an easy way to record phone calls for later reference.

I guess You do not wish to give any answers to any specific rule interpretations on a public forum. I guess it would possible that someone could take the answer and twist it or something and try and hold you to something posted online instead of what is in the rule book.

Here are the only 3 questions I can find that I had asked that relate to rules clarifications, and the only answers that came from you( Niel/Dave), who are I guess using the same Logon name, and who are also the ones who are able to answer with the authority of the rules. I did ask the first question 3 times, but I never got an answer other than to read the rules, when I was quoting the rules in the question.

1.On the TPS rules where it says: E. DOHC 16 valve engines use one Holley/Weber #5200 (32mmx36mm) or R & D Weber DEGES/DEGAS (38mm x 38mm)

What is the precise meaning of the R&D?,

I have read through the rules more than a few times now. My questions are:

what does it mean by "or R & D Weber DEGES/DEGAS (38mm x 38mm)"?

does that mean that I can run a 38/38 DGAS carb, but it is contingent on how it performs as to whether it will continue to be allowed, or I may have to switch to a 32/36?

And then again:

What is the deal with running a 38mm DGES/DGAS on a DOHC engine? It said in the rules DOHC 16v engines must run a 32/36 holley/weber or R&D 38/38 DGES.

Is it OK to use a 4412 Holley if it is DOHC but not 16V?

The only answer I get related to this:

Regarding you carburetor discussion, see www.TexasProSedan.com , click on 2014 Rules &Specifications

2: Hey, you think it'd be ok if instead of a little downdraft 2bbl, I could run with this setup instead?

NO! The only straight answer I got. The question was not intended as a serious one though. I knew there was no way a slide throttle mechanical injection race induction system would be allowed. Sorry, I was being a smart ass, just trying to lighten things up, as the Cosworth Vega idea was obviously not going over very well. I had pretty much given up on trying to run this kind of car anyways, as it was getting questioned for body upgrades, and the engine being part of the same car family, when I see other cars that run a Pinto motor in a rear wheel drive Fusion body , and call it a Mustang. This Vega obviously had the original body and engine. Obviously it was a car that would be very highly scrutinized for whatever reason. Probably because it said Cosworth on the valve cover, and had a really nice chassis. I also realized that the conversion to wet sump, single carb, non quick change etc. were going to be more than I wanted to do.

3: why do Fords with a full race 2300cc engine get a weight break?....….any other 2300cc engine must weigh 2530lbs, right?

Even if I can manage to build a good 20R toyota engine(2.2L) and make close to the same power as a Ford Esslinger head engine by spending a ton of money making the stock truck head breathe, I would still have to weigh 2420lbs.

I think I should have waited to find a Ford.

No response, but I expected this. I assume this rule was an attempt to make it possible for some Fords to compete with the more dominant Volkswagens, due to some complaining, or just to try and make competition more interesting. I don’t necessarily disagree with this. I was mainly complaining to try and possibly campaign for a similar weight break for a Toyota with a bigger motor, in case I go that direction, either because that is what kind of engine is most practical to get, or the car I got is unable to be made light enough to take advantage of a lighter minimum weight.. I do see how larger engines are at a disadvantage in a flat rate displacement to weight ratio class, especially if tires and carburetors are the same for small and large cars.

I think I did ask another question about why a Porsche 912 with a back seat and a trunk was considered a sports car, while a Honda CRX 2 seater could qualify as a “sedan” in response to one of your comments saying that I shouldn’t go and build a Porsche sports car and show up expecting to be able to run. I can no longer find either post though.

Any other comments I can find by NeilTPS are answers to questions I did not ask. I don’t mind at all. I actually appreciate all of the comments and answers that were given.

I don’t appreciate being told that answering my questions is pointless.

I also made some other comments and suggestions related to my opinions on the rules and how they might be improved to allow for fuel injection, or how it might be prudent to allow different tires or quick change rear ends. Several others made similar comments. I appreciate the responses to those comments, even if the response was that the rules are just fine, we aren’t going to change them.

At this point I am still intending to get the old Celica running and trying to get it in a TPS race. I will email d.mackey84@yahoo.com if I am going to do anything to the car that requires prior approval. I may ask another rule interpretation question by email, but am not hopeful to get a straight answer. I guess I will try to stay on the conservative side of the rules to avoid any issues.

Sorry, I don't normally like to post anything negative toward others, and as a Former tech inspector should know better than to say anything to piss of the one doing the inspecting.

Anyways, thank you Sergio, George, Bruce, Mike and Lanny for talking to me at the track yesterday. I did learn quite a bit and enjoyed watching the racing. I will try and make it out a little earlier next time to talk to some more of you guys.

..autodoctor911.... you did not make anyone mad at you .just the way you asked questions and all the whys made it hard for one to answer with out writing a book to fulfill your request for those answers . ....we look to join back up with tps full time next year if all works out and see you racing that yota if it is to be ...

I don't know all of the engine numbers for Toyota but the 1800 in the Corolas seem to

be a tough engine with variable valve timing and timing chain tensioner both oil pressure controlled. Also has a header instead of a regular exhaust. Don't know how hard it would be to mount carb and make work.

Archived