tires for cars that won't fit 13" rims?

I was wondering what tires people are running on cars that can't fit 13" rims(any BMW after 1982, possibly even 1976).

I looked into what it would take to fit the 13" on to a 80's or 90's BMW, and it doesn't look good. 14" will fit, no problem on the e30(82-91), but probably not on newer(1992 and up).

Is there any equivalent tire to the F60 in 14 or 15"?

I am sure there are other cars eligible for this class otherwise that have the same issue:stock brakes too big for 13" wheels. The DOT tires are going to be quite a bit slower, right?

I think I found a brake package for the old 2002 that uses stock cast iron 4 piston calipers and .87" x 10" vented rotors that fits 13" wheels, but it says it only fits 13" alloy wheels. I would need to check caliper clearance, and possibly use a spacer with steel racing wheels. with the right pads, I think they should work well enough. Now, I just have to see how hard it would be to fit them to whatever chassis I decide to use.

Are the brakes on a fabricated chassis supposed to be from the correct manufacturer still? i.e.no GM calipers on ford spindles and rotors on a fabricated chassis Toyota race car?

or, maybe you can get away with racing calipers and rotors on fabricated chassis cars(R&D status)?

I think I found a brake package for the old 2002 that uses stock cast iron 4 piston calipers and .87" x 10" vented rotors that fits 13" wheels, but it says it only fits 13" alloy wheels. I would need to check caliper clearance, and possibly use a spacer with steel racing wheels. with the right pads, I think they should work well enough. Now, I just have to see how hard it would be to fit them to whatever chassis I decide to use.

Are the brakes on a fabricated chassis supposed to be from the correct manufacturer still? i.e.no GM calipers on ford spindles and rotors on a fabricated chassis Toyota race car?

or, maybe you can get away with racing calipers and rotors on fabricated chassis cars(R&D status)?

Read the 2014 Rules.

http://texasprosedans.com/2014TEXASPROSEDANSRULESandSPECIFICATIONS.pdf

A note of suggestions to autodoctor911 …

The above posts by defending Champion Sergio Hexsel and tps22 are well taken and should be followed.

While we welcome new driver/car owners to the Texas Pro Sedans, we wouldn’t want for you to experience costly difficulties and failing your first technical inspection with a car that may have been built with illegal components or parts due to unfamiliarities with TPS Rules such as defining a Porsche 912 sports car as a sedan rather than the allowed and approved car types for TPS racing.

Suggest that you consult with TPS Race Director in Austin at the following contact points:

David Mackey, TPS Race Director & Chief Inspector
Office Phone - 512/280-4869 … Cell Phone - 512/913-9364 … or e-mail: d.mackey84@yahoo.com

Also, a set of long-standing Texas Pro Sedans Rules and Technical Specifications for 2014 are available on the TPS website at http://texasprosedan...CIFICATIONS.pdf

Thank you,

Neil Upchurch
Texas Pro Sedans Publications Office Director

Thanks for the advice. I will contact the above person for clarifications before constructing or purchasing a car.

I don't think I will be building a Porsche 912 for TPS, simply because they have become too valuable, but how is it a "sports car" while a Honda CRX is a "sedan"?

I thought anything with a fixed roof, a back seat and a trunk was a sedan. Maybe the 911/912 should be considered a sports coupe, or a 2+2, since the rear seat is fairly small, but the same goes for a Mustang. Didn't NASCAR call the Camaro, Mustang and Javelin "sports cars" too? SCCA classified the 911 as a sedan for Trans-AM racing as can be seen in the 1968 and 1969 under 2L championship cars. They were then reclassified as "Sports Cars" the next season though.

I guess it really doesn't matter on the 912, since I won't be building one, but are all Porsche cars going to be considered sports cars then?

So much for my idea for a fabricated frame car with an aircooled 4 cylinder and a fiberglass 911 body. Maybe if I made it a Panamera body? That would have a 115" stock wheelbase though.

Actually, I have been looking around, and I really like the new muscle car XYG metric body kits from ARB.

The Ford engine seems to be the most common by far for mini stock, so I think I would go with a Mustang body from ARB. Most of the chassis I have found have a quick change rear, but I think I could find a non-quick-change to swap it out with fairly easily.

Would it hurt anything to just run in a gear other than 4th(or 3rd/5th, whatever the top gear on the tranny is) when at speed, instead of putting a really low rear end ratio?

At any rate, I won't decide on a course of action till I've been out to the races to see the cars and racing, and talked to the people racing and those in charge of the rules. If I find a car for sale that has already raced in TPS, that may be the way I go. I would prefer it to be RWD, and not look like a Pinto or Fox body Mustang, but I won't rule out anything at this point.

Nah I would not sell it before I can make it go. Getting close. It is a process to learn this 2.3 and when the motor you get with the car is not right I had to learn a lot. Just about there. I may just get it right here pretty quick and then I will race. I will not take it before it is right

I hope when you see me fly you will want it Hi Tech LOL

let me tell you about flying a pinto ..the takes offs are not so bad .that landing another story.. ask shark 7 .he finally earned his wings after a double landing one night and kept going .. .i know our pro sedan shark 7 has flown three times and stood on its nose once ..and killed a vw wabbit or what ever they call that car at kyle ..

Archived