looking to get into racing with TPS

A few comments after reading your post and viewing photos about the proposed Chevy Vega: It is a nice looking car. #94 isn't available. #14 or #19 are available. However, the following rule would apply: “Before beginning any body upgrade, members must submit their installation plan and obtain approval from TPS Race Director”.

What body upgrade? That looks like stock Chevy sheetmetal, except for the Fenders/ flares, which are allowed by the rules. the Body and engine are stock 76 chevrolet Vega. The frame is entirely fabricated to match the stock 97" wheelbase, and widen the track to 60" from the factory 54.7"

Should I not consider tube frame cars? Is it easier to get a stock chassis to be approved? I guess some of the rules are purely discretionary, as prior approval is needed.

Old VW bugs rule !!!!!!!........all this high tech talk is way above me, I say we just make this an Aircooled VW bug class only because who doesn't dig an old bug ?????.......Larsen rant over !!!!!

well looked like someone bugged you bug motor .. how bad is it ..and bugs do rule .pipe dream ..motors run faster just before they blow ..

Both bugs now have giant holes in the top of both blocks, both cases destroyed, both cranks destroyed, both cams broken in half, several bent push rods, most lifter ls destroyed, two rods in each motor destroyed, both oil pumps trashed, so today my "Real" Herbie movie car donated his engine block, crank, rods, and anything else that would work, gonna be a job to put together another race motor by July 12th, but whatever it takes the #80 will be there with Cole behind the wheel !!!!!!!...........

OK. I have made the deal to start working on getting this Celica based Camry number 01 ready to race. I am going to need to find an engine. Apparently it was using a Corolla 3tc or 2tc last, but those seem to be few and far between.

I was thinking maybe a 4AGE might be in order. What is the deal with running a 38mm DGES/DGAS on a DOHC engine? It said in the rules DOHC 16v engines must run a 32/36 holley/weber or R&D 38/38 DGES.

Is it OK to use a 4412 Holley if it is DOHC but not 16V?

I really don't want to run a 32/36 weber. I had one on a stock Opel 1900cc engine and it was crap even on that. It was unreliable at best, and not suited for use on most of the manifolds I have seen other than stock manifolds on the 70's style engines with the carb sideways(perpandicular to engine. I need the carb to be synchronous(both barrels open simultaneously for the manifolds I've been able to find(carb parallel to engine) for converting the EFI engines that are available in junk yards still.

post-13755-0-35182500-1404523460_thumb.jpg

will a 20r still fit ..good motor to run and getting cheaper to build . but you probably have to go 22r flat top pistons ...gb carter racing over at sts may be able to help you out in that department ..or david wright who raced at red river and altus ......bobby who bought davids pinto and ran a couple of races with tps this year may still have davids number .plus david just may have what you need ......id give you davids number but i lost it . as for carbs that you will have to take up with neil or dave.personally i dont see a problem the 38.38..or even a holly 350 .i think the 4412 will be to much on the smaller motor ...

autodoctor911 - The #01 is currently registered in TPS. See the last TPS Race Results for available car numbers.

Regarding you carburetor discussion, see www.TexasProSedan.com , click on 2014 Rules & Specifications

There was one at Pick n Pull last week. Complete with every pulley, starter, trans, etc you need. Go buy it before it disappears. You won't find a better start than that.

You mean a 3tc? I'll check that out.

I thought the 20r/22r was kind of a low end grunt truck motor that wouldn't do very well, especially with the extra weight required for a 2.2L displacement. A 22r is 2.4 Liters so would not be legal, as far as I know. Also, the transmission in the car will fit a 4age with the right bellhousing, but is not suitable for the 20r. I would like to use the t40 trans, as it has been prepped for racing, and is quite light weight and fits the car right now. I have found a 4age that is built with a single downdraft carb from a desert racer. It looks like a 40mm IDF carb, which is reqiured in the 1600cc buggy class. I think the size of it actually limits the power to be close to what the aircooled type 1 motors are running.

I have read through the rules more than a few times now. My questions are:

what does it mean by "or R & D Weber DEGES/DEGAS (38mm x 38mm)"?

does that mean that I can run a 38/38 DGAS carb, but it is contingent on how it performs as to whether it will continue to be allowed, or I may have to switch to a 32/36?
If the rules did not require carburetors , my first choice for an engine would probably be a bone stock 2.0L 3S-GE from a Altezza/Lexus JDM takeout that I could get complete with fuel injection and a 6 speed transmission with all the wiring and ecu for $1k-$1500 ready to put in and probably never have to think about the motor again. I could get one for less without the trans and there is a bellhousing that will fit a t40 to a s motor, but I think the 2L would be a bit too much for the little transmission. The 3s-ge would have plenty of power in stock form, and be as reliable as any stock modern toyota/lexus is. I don't think it would be fun trying to convert one of those to carb though.
Maybe we could come up with a flat plate restrictor rule for EFI motors. Just start with a flat plate with a single hole that has the same cross section as two 28mm venturis, but should flow less air, due to the turbulence of the sharp edges, which would be one 40mm hole in a flat 1/8" plate between the throttle body and the manifold. If that is too much power, start reducing the size.
The rules allow for a pretty powerful and very expensive built up old SOHC or pushrod motor. I look at the pro4 ARCA engines that are selling for over $30K, and ask, why not use a modern engine that could make as much power with a few bolt on items that would probably be part of the conversion like headers and a free flow air filter setup.
If anyone is serious about reducing the cost of running a competitive car, there has to be an alternative to building a billet crank 10K RPM aluminum esslinger head, titanium valve engine with a $6-700 carburetor, a $500 header, $750 oil pan, $400 distributor or custom crank fire ignition, $500 flywheel and $700 mini clutch etc, as the rules now would allow.
Certainly no $1000 used engine from the junkyard with DOHC and EFI should be allowed. that would be way too expensive, right?

why do Fords with a full race 2300cc engine get a weight break?

"B. R&D Notice: The minimum weight rule of 2,300 lbs is continued (In 2014 Esslinger-ARCA head equipped
engines will continue to weigh not less than 2,300 lbs). This R&D minimum weight is anticipated to continue
to equalize performance which was experienced during the 2013 season. Based upon demonstrated performance
during the 2014 season, this weight rule may be adjusted, plus or minus, as needed to maintain equal performance"
any other 2300cc engine must weigh 2530lbs, right?
Even if I can manage to build a good 20R toyota engine(2.2L) and make close to the same power as a Ford esslinger head engine by spending a ton of money making the stock truck head breathe, I would still have to weigh 2420lbs.
I think I should have waited to find a Ford.

Archived