16 - 29 -- Johnny Guerra/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang - 18.230 - 0 laps
dna - 23 -- J.J. Osburn III/Converse, TX - Ford Mustang - dnt - dns
dna - 88 -- Scott Schuster/Portland, TX - Ford Pinto - dnt - dns
dna - 02 ® Bobby Sanford/Lampasas,TX - Ford Pinto - dnt - dns
dna - 28 -- Lisa Sandoval/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Pinto - dnt - dns
dna - 21 -- John Miesen/Marion, TX - Ford Mustang - dnt - dns
dna - 23 -- Ozzy Osburn/San Antonio, TX - Ford Mustang - dnt - dns
dna - 18 -- Lanny Young/Odessa, TX - VW 2K Sedan - dnt - dns

TPS drivers who did not enter TPS race #4 - (Notes and dues status)
dne 53s ® Bill Stipe/Baytown, TX - VW Sedan -
dne 26s -- Jesse Sandoval Sr/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang -
dne 15 -- Tom Johnson/ Kingsland, TX - Ford Mustang -
dne 17 -- Don Yocum/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang -
dne 26m ® Joshua McCain/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang -
dne 27 -- Bill LaBarge/Bryan, TX - BMW -
dne 50 -- Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX - VW Scirocco -
dne 21a -- Richard Adams/San Antonio, TX - (no car)
dne 94 -- Dave Parks/San Antonio, TX - VW GTI -
dne 7 -- Pete Wright/Peaster, TX - VW Scirocco - ($15 dues owed)
dne 9 -- Bobby Burrows/Yorktown, TX - Ford Fusion - ($15 dues owed)
dne 94c -- Tory Christopher/Universal City, TX-VW GTI - ($15 dues owed)

Margin of victory at finish - 2.219 seconds between #70 and #3
#70 Sergio Hexsel's < 16.460 > doesn't break CTS/TPS track record of 16.374 seconds
held by Tom Johnson #15 Mustang and which was recorded on March 27, 2010
Sergio Hexsel wins one bonus point for the fastest non-record qualifying lap
dna = did not arrive … dnt = did not time … dns = did not start … dne = did not enter

All cars but #00 & #4 rolled over $60 of winnings at this race to pay June 28th TPS @ CCS entry fee
Note: Gate bonus point time originally scheduled for 1:30pm was Bulletined and used at 12:15pm
® Eligible for 2014 TPS Rookie of the year Award
The following drivers remain eligible for a 100% participation award check: #01-Goldman,
#1-Hogan, #5-Meeks, #10-Mabrito, #20b Beck, #26-Leal, #29-Guerra, #70-Hexsel, #77-Knotts

TPS thanks all June 14th purse sponsors:
Janet's Cakery Inc of Corpus Christi thru - Patrick Limerick -- $1,000
A-Line Auto Parts of Austin - $200
Guerra's Lawn Service thru Johnny Guerra, Corpus Christi -- $100
Merrell Racing thru George Merrell of Kingsland, TX - $100
TPS thanks Central Texas Speedway for hosting 5 races during the 39th consecutive TPS season

Results reviewed and declared official for posting by TPS Race Director David Mackey

TPS Results prepared for website posting by the TPS Publications Office Director

2014 TPS Driver Point Standings thru June 14, 2014:

1 -- 70 - Sergio Hexsel - 84
2 -- 5 -- Jeff Meeks - 36
3 -- 1 -- James Hogan - 36
4 -- 26 - Lalo Leal - 34
5 -- 3 -- Bob Sherland - 29
6 -- 29 - Johnny Guerra - 29
7 -- 10 - Bruce Mabrito - 27
8 -- 20b -Sterling Beck - 24
9 -- 2 -- Cody Limerick - 24
10 - O1 - Tommy Goldman - 22
11 - 77 - Mike Knotts - 21
12 - 21o - J.J. Osburn III - 20
13 - 97 - Kevin Hallman - 14
14 - 53 - Randy Larsen - 13
15 - 02 ® Bobby Sanford - 12
16 - 80 ® Cole Larsen - 11
17 - 28 - Jesse Sandoval Sr- 10
18 - 88 - Scott Schuster - 9
19 - 53s ® Bill Stipe - 5
20 - 00 ® Angel Chancellor - 5
21 - 28 - Lisa Sandoval - 2
22 - 21 - John Miesen - 2
23 - 4 ® Matthew Kemph - 1
24 - 23 - Ozzy Osburn - 0
25 - 18 - Lanny Young - 0

® - Eligible for 2014 TPS Rookie of the year Award

TPS Points calculated and prepared for website posting by the TPS Publications Office Director

Results and Point standings posted on Texas Pro Sedans website by the TPS Website Manager

TEXAS PRO SEDANS 2014 REMAINING SCHEDULE (Subject to Change):

June 28 - Corpus Christi Speedway - Qualifying & 35 Lap Feature
July 12 - Central Texas Speedway - Qualifying & 25 Lap Feature
Aug 23 - Corpus Christi Speedway - Qualifying & 35 Lap Feature
Oct 18 - Central Texas Speedway - Qualifying & 25 Lap Feature
Nov 8 - Central Texas Speedway - Qualifying & 25 Lap Feature

Date TBA - 2014 Texas Pro Sedans Awards Dinner (time and location TBA)
CCS postponement dates at CTS (if needed): August 9 and September 6

what the heck was wrong with all the fast fords .they were all close to each other .looked bad when all the fords and vw.s were racing in another time zone ..for second ..new tires or tire on the 70 .i suppose all others on the track were on old tires ...i thought sergio was fast as always but those fords were not even close .fact no one was even in the same league ...to me that aint good .i want to bring up and plan on racing tps this year .but if second in another time zone is the best a ford can do .i may have second thought here ..not picking on the 70 i love the team and driver .but if it is not tires then ....you tell me ...this is not a bash post for any one who may think that .i am just concerned for this series if a better show cant be put on. hope it was mostly tires ...so if anyone feels like i am downing tps .go ahead and think that to each his own ...we should have the 28 ready for cc ...

He checks out everywhere and everyone that's ever raced that car has. Hey HiTech, time for bounty for June 28th? Start collecting money to get the 70 to start scratch and still win, he gets it, if he doesn't win we spread out what's raised among the field or however we can split it? Like you, not a knock on the man driving the car, but if he's on the pole, it's a race for second.

I have been racing against Sergio since he began racing with the Pro Sedans, let me tell you he has paid his dues, he has wrecked and blown up more times than I can remember, but he has never given up, he and George Merrill was another match made in heaven, you have a great driver and a great car/engine builder to contend with and I for one have seen this car and driver grow into the amazing team they are, I will never be down about losing to any faster cars or great drivers like we have in the Pro Sedans, and Sergio/ Merill have earned every win they get, I saw the mustangs dominate for years so they can do the same thing when the combo is right !!!........All you suckers are just lucky they never made a water cooled old bug, or all of you might just be seeing a #53 out all of your windshields !!!!!!

It's absolutely nothing against the guy or car at all. Just a friendly challenge if accepted. We've been trying to help boost the races at CCS this season, first week we added to the Bomber purse, last event the Dwarfs, TPS for the 28th, and TALMS in August. He's done a tremendous job in that 70 car and not trying to take anything away from him and I've never seen that car run poorly no matter who's in it, so that's a credit to the builder and one that sets it up. Yes he is very fast so as a fan, I'd love to see him work through the crowd but either way, we want to support the track and series that come in. The "bounty" was in fun but I'm willing to chip in some to the overall purse and hopefully some of our other locals will too. Again nothing against the 70 or any other TPS car or series.

yep the purse will be started very soon....i will not question the ability of sergio and his car owner.. we know what we are up against when that 70 is on the track and is always the car to try like hell just to keep up ....be nice if he would slow down and let someone bump him anyway lol ......but if it is a tire issue and the price is keeping most from buying them .then houston has a problem .................now after looking closer at the track times .the fords were way off from their regular times .......

and darn randy i along with others were pulling for you .you looked good ..does the rules say vw to vw /if not then that needs to be change so you could bolt on one of merils water cooled screamers ....seeing that 53 would be something to party over if we were looking at the back side just as everyone is doing with the 70..

For me, it's all about racing an old bug, it's all I've ever known,everyone knows just like myself that the Aircooled engine will never turn the rpm or be as reliable as an overhead cam water cooled engine, that's just a fact, but Im gonna keep running an old Aircooled bug and just keep digging and work on handling, as its awesome how much atta-boys and thumbs up the car gets for at least getting up there and running in the top 5, people love the old bugs and maybe one day I will hit the right combo and get a bug up at the front, all kidding aside, Im running basically a low compression street engine, there is a huge amount of go-fast parts I haven't tried yet, and a lot more potential horsepower to gain, so I'll just have to start getting serious about a fast engine in the very near future,heck I could go buy a scirocco or rabbit or ford and probably do good, but for me it's all about the old bug !!!!!!.........Randy

For the record, Sergio Hexsel already has won a TPS race starting last on the grid.

He missed the drivers because he had driven home to get a part #70 needed. By TPS Rules, he was penalized from the pole to scratch, but won the race anyhow.

Here is the extract of the Race Results from November 16, 2013:

TEXAS PRO SEDANS RACE RESULTS & POINTS

Central Texas Speedway - TPS Race #9 - November 16, 2013

Finish Car# -- Driver/Hometown Car Type Best Qual Laps

1 70h -- Sergio Hexsel/San Antonio, TX - VW Scirocco - 16.993 25 laps
2 26 -- Lalo Leal/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang - 17.211 25 laps
3 1 -- James Hogan/Spicewood, TX - Ford Mustang - 17.544 25 laps
4 77 -- Mike Knotts/Universal City, TX - VW Scirocco - 17.575 25 laps
5 3 -- Bob Sherland/San Antonio, TX - VW Rabbit - 17.904 25 laps
6 5 ® Jeff Meeks/Marion, TX - Ford Taurus - 18.551 25 laps
7 53 -- Randy Larsen/Wimberley, TX - VW Sedan - 18.314 25 laps
8 88 -- Scott Schuster/Portland, TX - Ford Pinto - 18.588 24 laps
9 97 -- Kevin Hallman/Cibolo, TX - Ford Mustang - 18.552 24 laps
10 22 -- Ozzy Osburn/San Antonio, TX - Ford Mustang - 19.564 24 laps
11 8 -- Mike McCain/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Pinto - 18.525 24 laps
12 10m -- Bruce Mabrito/San Antonio, TX - Toyota Celica - 20.525 23 laps
13 80 ® Cole Larsen/Wimberley, TX - VW Sedan - 21.390 23 laps
14 23 -- J.J. Osburn III/Converse, TX - Ford Mustang - 19.145 22 laps
15 15 -- Tom Johnson/ Kingsland, TX - Ford Mustang - 17.008 7 laps
16 82 -- Sterling Beck/Bracken, TX - Chevy Cavalier - dnt 4 laps
17 21 -- Richard Adams/San Antonio, TX - Ford Mustang - 23.678 3 laps
18 29 -- Johnny Guerra/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang - dnt dns
19 27 -- Bill LaBarge/Bryan, TX - BMW - dnt dns
20 25 ® Joshua McCain/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang - dnt dns
dna 28 -- Lisa Sandoval/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Pinto -
dna 17 ® Don Yocum/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang -
dna 1t ® Tommy Goldman/Corpus Christi,TX - Nissan 200 -
dna 2 -- Cody Limerick/Corpus Christi, TX - Ford Mustang -
dna 23m ® Mike Meeks/Marion, TX - Ford Mustang -
dna 94 -- Dave Parks/San Antonio, TX - VW GTI -
dna 48 -- Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX - VW Scirocco -
dna 18 -- Lanny Young/Odessa, TX - VW 2K Sedan -

Margin of victory - 1.837 seconds between #70h and #26
#70h Sergio Hexsel's <16.993> doesn't break CTS/TPS track record of 16.374 seconds
held by Tom Johnson/#15 Mustang which was recorded on March 27, 2010
Sergio Hexsel wins one bonus point for the fastest non-record qualifying lap.
dna = did not arrive … dnt = did not time … dns = did not start … dne = did not enter
®-Eligible 2013 TPS "Rookie of the Year" Award

The first red #53 bug was driven by Larry Krauss back in the day, Larry was a good driver and his engine builder Bill Maxey, built him some fast engines, I raced against him when I first started in the Pro Sedans, he had not resigned up to retain the #53 the year I started racing, and it was my favorite number, so since I paid and signed up before him the #53 became my number and he changed his number to #3, Larry worked a few miles down the road from my house on a ranch and I used to visit him often before he passed away,we had a lot of great races and talks about VW bug racing, he even gave me that old #3 red race bug one day as it was just sitting beside his shop and he wasn't gonna race anymore, I took the bug to my dads shop in Houston and we had started rebuilding it into a dirt track race bug, but when my dad passed away the car and several parts and equipment were caught up in a legal battle between myself and stepmother, sadly out of spite she sold off all the parts and car and I never saw it again...........Randy

Sorry to hear about the fate and the passing of your father and Mr. Krauss. That was probably the first car I remembered every week at the races growing up outside of Greg Carlucci's and Terry Bentley's 82 bug (connected with that car b/c I was born in 82). But this post is what's great about TPS, the stories and history and seems every one of you guys/gals have several of these stories and memories.

I offered to pay Sergio $100 to start from the rear, after conferring with his owner he had to respectfully decline. He would have taken my money!!!

Haha, Ozzy, they declined because they didn't believe you had $100!

Larry Krauss Jr.was one of the “nice guy” members of the Texas Pro Sedans. At the time of his death in 2006, I determined that he should be remembered forever in the Memorial Section of the TPS website.

For those who don’t know about the Memorial Section, please visit

www.texasprosedans.com Click on News & Announcements and “In Memoriam”.

There are several other Texas Pro Sedans men and women in the “Gone but not forgotten” section listed there.

TPS folks will have known some of them.

Randy Larsen’s late Dad is remembered there.

Posted by - Neil Upchurch, Texas Pro Sedans Publications Office Director

. LARRY WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE ONE OF MY FAVORITE RACERS .EVERY TIME I SEE MEL I THINK OF LARRY ..I THINK OF LARRY WHEN RANDY HITS THE TRACK AND THIS LAST RACE I COULD NOT KEEP MY EYES OFF OF RANDY .I KNOW THAT CAR AND DRIVER CAN WIN .......I HAVE A VIDEO OF LARRY AND PAT JOHNSON HITTING THE FLAG STAND WALL .AND 50 POUNDS OF LEAD CAME OUT FROM LARRYS CAR AND WENT RIGHT THROUGH FAT MANS RIGHT SIDE DOOR AND LANDED IN HIS FLOOR BOARD ... LARRY WAS KNOWN AS THE SEXY GRANDPAL AND THOSE LADIES WORE HIS LIPS AND CHEEKS OUT ...

I offered to pay Sergio $100 to start from the rear, after conferring with his owner he had to respectfully decline. He would have taken my money!!!

Ozzy,I know you have lots of money, so it was the second part of the offer that you politely didn't mention was the reason it was declined. Seems like that part was popular in the pits.

what part did I leave out George???

The part about what other drivers had to do to get the money. Or maybe someone else added that part!

Archived