Race Procedures at STS

I can see that but the flip side is Lim Mods or Pure Stocks are great support classes for the Shootout as well. SOS caught a little flack for not running Pure Stock with ASCS since they only had 7 SS and 9 Late Models I believe. They were decent races with low count but 15-20 Pure Stocks and Lim Mods is better than a 5-10 car supporting class(es) plus all local drivers want to be a part of a "Big Show" another one of those double edged swords.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see that but the flip side is Lim Mods or Pure Stocks are great support classes for the Shootout as well. SOS caught a little flack for not running Pure Stock with ASCS since they only had 7 SS and 9 Late Models I believe. They were decent races with low count but 15-20 Pure Stocks and Lim Mods is better than a 5-10 car supporting class(es) plus all local drivers want to be a part of a "Big Show" another one of those double edged swords.

Something has to give cause running til 1am in the morning takes alot out of everyone. Give STS fans credit most stayed til the end.

That was a rarity though, STS is usually done by 11. A lot of different and strange things going on Memorial Day weekend. But I agree with the late nights. This would be my concern as a promoter. Say I was running STS. STXSSS is in town I would only run two supporting classes and the two with largest constant car count, in this case Pures and Lim Mod. Sorry kids no go karts, still will have roughly 75 cars in pits. What I would do for those classes that were off (excluding Street Stocks since they run with the series) have a double point night for them and extended races if they choose to at later dates. This way, fans get to see a lot of cars, a lot of racing. The drivers that were off get their laps in and showcased on their own night, we all win (in theory). The worry would be let's say I have my show planned at STS and SOS decides to put up a $5000 to win LLM race the same night. Now we're in a quandary. As a fan, do I go to a race with huge purse and relative car counts or stay home and support my home track. Drivers choose between a big race or supporting the place they race and their show. To me it inspires competition not cooperation jmo. If I were a promoter of STS though I would work with SOS and TRP and even CBS to work a deal out that benefits all involved the best we could regarding rules and schedule and even my neighbor down the street on a different surface, we're all racers and race fans we need to support each other the best we can.

I would look at it as how many cash cows can be accomplished in a season. A normal regular night would not be considered a cash cow night. Your looking to make money on those regular nights but worst case try not to lose anything even though it may happen from time to time under bad circumstances. So going with the cash cow theory you have to work hand in hand with the other tracks incase they want to try and do the same thing. If they do you have to respect and extend the same thing your requesting from them. The classes you can do this with other than the shootout races is definetely Pure Stocks and Limiteds. I do think STS is the perfect fit for a (2) or (3) day USMTS show providing you have good weather. I would like to think the ASCS is too but with the upcoming 305 class their numbers and purse are alot more attractive. Lastly I think you can do a big LLM show providing its put up and worked out months in advance to pull the out of area cars out of the weeds and maybe have a couple shootout cars upgrade a couple things to run ;-). Regardless can you imagine a track having 6 to 7 good cash cow weekends boy would that do wonders for them for the year. You can bet SOS was more then happy to sign up the sprints again for july 4th after the latest home run. But like the weather suny days are never guaranteed.

Very true on all points. If I should ever be a promoter my hope would to have a big money race for all the classes that are regular and for each to have the thrill of racing with a guest class like USMTS, ASCS, etc. of course I'm omitting lots of logistics which majorly influence these decisions too. I think the drivers at STS have proved the last several years there's good local talent and CCS has had two great events so far with TALMS becoming an elite class, Bombers have been good and Dwarfs have always been good. Nick and James gets Legacy's to grow they'll be fun and it may be time to put a bounty on Sergio Hexel in TPS lol. Even with the late night and issues at STS I can't say the entertainment wasn't there and hope the issues are temporary problems that get worked out and CC continues to do well, Corpus fans/racers are in a pretty good spot right now. SOS definitely picking up their game too. South Texas racing not doing too bad, even on here look at the two threads with the most topics. It may get heated at times but to me shows interest too. As a fan, Memorial Day weekend was a hit, SOS with ASCS Sat night then back home for you guys on Sun night and I'm looking forward to this Sat here and also wish TRP and you guys well in Edna, I love going to that track when we can.

From the stands there was no warning on ether cars. They did about 3to5 pace laps on each driver. I saw the 15 car pull up to the guy on the track then he left the track. Then the 8 car got the black flag he pulled around and the same guy came out on the track and then he pulled off don't no what happen I would like to know what happen

Archived