Race Procedures at STS

NASCAR doesn't race to the flag, when the light comes on they're frozen and alligned based on scoring loops. They can afford the technology to do that. The best system for the Saturday night heroes is last completed lap, don't think lineups are an issue other than who's going to the back. My issues lie elsewhere but respect what Mr. Hobbs has decided, even if I don't agree with it but since I'm just a fan of STS and won't run there (nothing against the staff or drivers at all) some would think my opinion doesn't matter.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All spotters need to check in with a clear track before dropping the green. To many neglegent close calls to be called safe. Sitting in turn 2 for 3/4 of a lap dead and still dropped the green flag because the spotters were not paying attention. then drop the yellow after everyone has already passed the flag stand. Good thing I was able to pull to the the top of the track instead of the bottom. Could have been alot worse. What would have happened if anyone was stuck on the bottom or in the middle of the track. Already tore up the whole field as they slam into each other to make sure and not run into the car that thas been sitting there since the yellow.

Last week same thing spun out no yellow dropped - still a sitting duck although on the inside of the track this time .

SPOTTERS NEED TO STEP UP You spin or breakdown your going to the back anyway we need to be safe and stop running until the track is clear.

If I spin to miss a wreck or barely make it by a wreck scraping my quarter panel to get by....I am involved and must go to the back. Correct??

Yes Zamie, it is what it is. Ain't good, but we must make the best of what we got I guess. Or go fishin...

I had hoped that after further consideration this was the one obvious rule that needed to be changed. Guess not.

One other thing I would suggest is getting these races going in a more timely fashion. Cautions taking way too long. Spotters need to be more aggressive in getting cars where they need to be so we can go green. Races ending way too late. And this is feedback from fans in the stands.

I think the whole purpose of his new rules is due to all the cautions...as he stated...need to clean up the racing..and that is true and thats why Im reluctant to return bc the only dents in my car have come from STS for no reason except being prevented from passing the person infont of me...I have not been to a race there this season or last weekend but I did enjoy racing there but why risk tearing my car up for no reason when can race at SOS and TRP clean...Hope all the issues get ironed out and hope to catch a race there soon...if anything has he sped up the payment time? If so yall all should be happy! !! Lol

Could it be there are a lot of cars (a good problem to have)? Could it be it is a fast track? So we can cut down on the car count or run the track so dry to slow everyone down.Or black flag the hell out of everyone.I have to admit it is a little physical in Corpus.It has been that way for years even before STS was a thought.I don't see it as dirty but hard racing.Granted some of it is.But I've seen over the years the worse stuff happened with modifieds from other tracks.I hope STS is not cracking down to the point of drivers being scared to touch another car.Now I know I'm not the one banging out dents or whatever I understand that.I am just a fan.I love watching the racing at STS and have the last eight years.It is a physical track.By the looks of a few cars I saw at SOS couple weeks ago it may get physical there from time to time.I guess I get a little defensive that our drivers are perceived as dirty.I just don't see it that way.

Drawing the line between rough driving and hard driving is almost impossible from the officials' standpoint.

If the track owned and used an "Intent Meter" they could correctly judge a driver's actual intent every time. But they don't. The only person who actually knows a person's intent is that person. And racers are notorious for labeling things "just hard racing" no matter what their actual intent.

But over time a pattern usually emerges so that track officials and fans begin looking for this driver or that driver to drive "dirty" in certain situations. And once a track identifies those they suspect of driving dirty, they are in a quandary as how to deal with him/her.

I'm working on a top secret "Intent Meter" and plan on marketing it along with my highly successful Lighter than Air Chassis.

Nick

i don't like the all involve rule. Reason i say this is because i am a green driver still learning how to race . If for some reason that i over correct and hit the car that could possibly win the race it not fair to that driver . Because of a inexperience driver . Now i got spun out and was sent to the back but the car that hit me went to the front , I did not understand because in the driver meeting all involved will go to back

The all involved rule may not be a good idea. I do think ken is doing what he can to give us a good home track and good show. But the all involed is not cool. First night this season my daughter was intentionally taken out in heat the other car kept going it spun my daughter out.no call made. During the same heat she cut off a driver making no contact she got loose in 4 started straightening up and he hit her rear bumper 4 times ans sent her in the wall shes 14 no call made. During feature a car shoots thru infield pops on track rigjt in front of her no where for her to go tore her car up no call made. Second race night during feature a car spun out in turn 2 let it roll down track while my daughter was passing she tried to avoid her took my daughter out and and demolished back end no call made. In the LLM there is a young boy who has caused more wrecks and alomost cause more than I have seen n all classes in 2 season he has no experience 2 nd race he took out my husband car still sitting in garage no call made. He continues to race a fast expensive class with no experience and being a hazard to the class but no revolution. I have confusions on some new rules but will sit back and give a chance. But if my daughter is spun out intentionally and I do record every race I do agree she should not be punished. I think having a spotter on all 4 turn and 1 on each straight away could help with concluding who was at fault jmo

This all needs to be re looked at. Sounds good on paper but when you cant execute it has become a major problem. The inconsistant calls are making this track worse and worse each week. Many many intentinal take outs and retalitions which are costing losts of people money. Before long we are going to lose cars.

I never have understood why reasonable folks honestly believe that it is the track's responsibility to keep track of every car in competition. Not only keep track of every car on every lap, but also correctly determine who did what to whom in the event of an incident. Sorry, but that simply is not possible and to asking race officials to do so is simply inviting chaos.

Mom and dad, you can keep track of your family member and get it right every time. And crew chief, you know exactly what happened to your driver every second of the race. But it simply is not possible for the track to keep track of every car, every lap and then guess who was at fault. Sometimes the difference between a brake check and a punt is simply a matter of the intent of the drivers involved. And as I have always maintained, the only folks who know what really happened are the two drivers involved and most of the time their stories significantly differ.

Frankly, It is the drivers' responsibility to drive their cars. It is the track's responsibility to provide a place to drive those cars.

Yes, there has to be some control mechanism to keep things from getting out of hand, but let's be downright honest here. It is the drivers who drive the cars, not some stressed out official trying to figure out who's doing what to whom.

In the old days, drivers knew how to get other drivers to drive cleanly. I'll not go into details, in those days there were more clean drivers than punks. And those clean drivers knew exactly how to get the punks to shape up or ship out. Maybe it's time for some of the awesome racers who call STS their home to sit down and have a friendly chat with some who seem to be causing all the problems.

Just saying.

Nick

You know, this wasn't a problem at least not publicly, the past ten years or so but this year it's different. Someone always seems to be angry, a lot more incidents, and the atmosphere surely has changed, very tense. Corpus has always been physical to race, either surface. Hopefully things get back to the way it used to be and everyone can enjoy it again.

Nick I can agree with most u said but my daughters is 14 last season was her first season. Yes she gets lapped but she knows to hold her line and listen for motors behind her. She has never been behind any wheel before but has not hit one person yet she respects other cars and drivers. Shes been torn up every race this season and alot last season. Shes out there to have fun not to tear anyone up. Track officals watched video after races and agreed all 3 hits to her in one night was nothing she did. It was other cars. With a few more spotters on track they could have made those calls but since the race was over before I could meet with director or owner nothing could b done but a talk to give warning and she did get an apology ffrom saying it was his fault. For drivers that r beginners against experienced drivers its alittle different for drivers to b able to handle it. Now as for my husband been racing well over 20 Years and hes a very clean driver but how can he help the intentional take out that has happened last season and this season. We r not violent people we do not go to others pits or get back in the car and gun for revenge. Last season he was taken out 4 races n a row by same car who the driver walked up and said sorry I hit ya but I havent got a win and ill do what it takes to get one. How do u appropriately handle that without a fighting or b getting on the track and running them back over and we r speaking about a LLM very exspensive class to be torn up. In the ole days it was racing and having fun. Now its clicks and if u arent in it than ur n the line of fire so how does a driver deal with that without track officals making calls and solving the problem. Because track rules u dont approch anyones pits and no fighting. A driver can not help it or solve it if other drivers dont like them that is where track officals come in. No I have never run a track but been around racing my whole life if u arent rebellious or violent there is no way to control an intentional pissed off driver these days u cant even win a feature without all the other drivers pitching a fit and getting pissed off. My daughter has never made anyone mad or hit anyone shes so sweet outgoing and liked by alot so how does she handle her car getting torn up all the time. Track officals are as important to a track as so the drivers and fans r in making a successful track. If u left all the madness up to the drivers every race night would be full of fights and torn up cars. And my opinon is this hobby is just as it is a hobby and family fun there most likely any coming out ahead or even breaking even most do it for the passion of racing and the fact that it makes for an awesome family hobby to get kids and grandkids involved not Nascar as a career and racing for thousands and thousands of dollars. If someone can explain to us how to help control and mellow out the intentional pissed off drivers without violence of either fighting or rebelling on the track than drivers could try and resolve problems and not have to drag in the officals and complain about others. Im not trying to bash or rebel against what u say nick just trying to understand how drivers can fix problems without officals. Because we have 2 very torn up cars that were taking out both in the same night.

I never have understood why reasonable folks honestly believe that it is the track's responsibility to keep track of every car in competition. Not only keep track of every car on every lap, but also correctly determine who did what to whom in the event of an incident. Sorry, but that simply is not possible and to asking race officials to do so is simply inviting chaos.

Mom and dad, you can keep track of your family member and get it right every time. And crew chief, you know exactly what happened to your driver every second of the race. But it simply is not possible for the track to keep track of every car, every lap and then guess who was at fault. Sometimes the difference between a brake check and a punt is simply a matter of the intent of the drivers involved. And as I have always maintained, the only folks who know what really happened are the two drivers involved and most of the time their stories significantly differ.

Frankly, It is the drivers' responsibility to drive their cars. It is the track's responsibility to provide a place to drive those cars.

Yes, there has to be some control mechanism to keep things from getting out of hand, but let's be downright honest here. It is the drivers who drive the cars, not some stressed out official trying to figure out who's doing what to whom.

In the old days, drivers knew how to get other drivers to drive cleanly. I'll not go into details, in those days there were more clean drivers than punks. And those clean drivers knew exactly how to get the punks to shape up or ship out. Maybe it's time for some of the awesome racers who call STS their home to sit down and have a friendly chat with some who seem to be causing all the problems.

Just saying.

Nick

Someone said earlier the atmosphere has changed.I notice it in the stands.There have more intentional spins than 1/2 a season last year.I wish I knew what it is other than the obvious.What Nick said about the old days was true.Obviously in the recent past someone was keeping things under control.Having said all that I don't see this as time to hit the panic button yet.I missed the Saturday night Memorial Day race and I heard that one was chaotic.Sunday the races were done about the same time we got back from Goliad the night before.I can't remember a time the races at STS went past midnight other than the December races and those were just barely.Nick is right.It is in the drivers hands primarily.And the track has to nip any problems at the bud.You all know how much I love STS and the drivers there.Still do.I think the answer is to follow the blueprint.STS was wildly successful in terms of car counts,quality of racing and a fun fan experience.Straying too far from what worked does not look like a good thing to me.

Archived