Race Procedures at STS

To All,

We met last night and reviewed the video of all the incidents over the past weekend. We noticed some good calls some bad calls. We will work on the placement of spotters and communication to increase the number of right calls. However we notice we are having entirely to many cautions. To many people are having to repair more than just body and tires every week. Each of you race for little money and have to make decisions on what you can and can't afford each week. We need to cut back the cautions and wrecks to a more respectable number. We are going to adjust the following race procedures to try to help.

First, Each feature race will have a hot pit area. We will only hold a caution for a few laps if you are changing a tire in the hot pit area. Anyone going to there pit during a feature will be assumed you have no intention of coming back into the race. We will not hold laps during heats

Second: In the feature is your class has double file restarts we will limit them to two cautions. Every additional caution will be single file

Third: If you jump a restart we will not warn you! We will subtract 2 positions from your finishing order.

Fourth: The black flag will be put out without warning if the officials believe you are intentionally making contact with another car to spin him or damage his car in a away he can not continue. The incident must be blatant. If the spotters etc can not make this determination a warning (rolled up black flag) will be issued. A driver will get only one warning per race.

Fifth: Line ups will be a Draw at this time to remove any doubt of lineups.

Sixth: If the caution is brought out the officials will make every attempt to blame it on one car and send them to the back. We do not want cautions with out penalties. Except will be debris on the track etc. If a lap has not been completed and a caution comes out the guilty party will be sent to the back and a complete restart will take place.

Seventh: We will continue to run a all involved. If you cause a caution or make contact with a car and cause a caution you will be sent to the back. This means even if you do nothing wrong and someone spins you, you will go to the back. If a car spins in front of you and you are not involved in any way and you must spin your car out to miss him, you will not go to the back. STS does not want to make calls we want you to be responsible for your night. Each of you have a steering wheel a brake and a gas help us. We will try in every case to see all cars involved but honestly it happens very fast sometimes but we will make an effort to always send all cars involved to the rear.

Eighth: We do not want any go-cart leaving their pit area until we call for you. We will send someone to get you for your races. We almost had a go-cart driver drive onto the racing surface while cars where on the track. We are watching this closely. We want to keep the carts and race cars from driving around at the same time.

Thank you for your support and we will continue to work with you to make STS the best track in South Texas.

Ken HObbs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.J.&.S,

Yes you are correct on the Go-Carts. One spin in the heats and 2 in the feature.

Arob, You are correct it can. I know of three cars this year this has happen to. The latest was the 2r. However this is the way the All involved works. It takes all the responsibility on the drivers and not the officials. If it happens to you I suggest you may want to blame the one that spun you out.

Ken Hobbs

One possible result.The other is guy that got spun is mad then you put the guy that did it right next to him on the restart. When the spinner gets put in the back and the spinee gets his spot back it is done.Well we shall see how this pans out.And if it happens to me that would be interesting as I'm in the stands! And I would blame him!

A question about #4. What the 8 and 15 did is now the norm for a black flag? The reason why I ask is I've seen black flags thrown that tight before and lets say it resulted for a bad night for the official that made the call.I hope the standard is what the 53 was doing.

No responsibility for officials ok. Yes, drivers should be responsible but if officials aren't going to be either, why have them? I don't like the precedent being set, especially with the wording, "This means even if you do nothing wrong and someone spins you, you will go to the back..." So you're being punished for doing nothing wrong? Don't like that at all and if someone can knowingly spin me out intentionally and both get put to the back, doesn't seem right. Good luck this season STS guess we'll sit back and watch how this pans out.

Jeez ive missed all the action why dont yall just go racing all the classes i see put on a good show but jeez guys yall are grown men racing yall sound like a bunch of lil whinny girls put your big girl panties on cinch them up tight and go race like a big boy and not whine like a lil girl man JMO

#6 states you will attempt to blame a caution only on one car and send them to the back but in # 7 if you cause a caution or make contact and cause a caution you will be sent to the back and the innocent car gets spun you go to the back. The only way that #6 works is if only 1 car brings out the caution because #7 says everyone involved goes to the back. What ever happened to the rule that if the leader gets taken out you get your spot back!! Pfff :(:(

Why should a driver who has no control over 95% of the things happening behind him be penalized for somebody else's "mistake"? I think an official needs to make calls, as Top Shelf states, instead of penalizing an innocent driver . I don't think the problem is the whinny girls, but good drivers who want rules clarified. Ken, the comment to " blame the one who spun you out" , Really? I don't know a driver out there who wouldn't blame another driver who spun him out, so that comment has no basis in my opinion. I agree, let's go racing, make the calls, and keep the show going.

I dont believe thes clarifications does not mean the officials will quit looking at rough driving or delibrate contact with a blind eye.Im betting a purposeful crash will still lead to a black flag and more.What I see missing is overall respect for the track and fellow drivers.With few exceptions I dont think anybody comes to the track to cause harm.It takes time to learn how the other drivers race.Sometimes you car race inches away from one car but need yards of distance for another.

Im curious exactly what would make the drivers happy?When a track makes the call some are angry.So how do you fix driver error?

WE DONT KNOW WHAT WE WANT NEVER HAVE NEVER WILL YOU PAY TO RACE ON KENS TRACK MAKE THE BEST OF IT CAUSE YOU COULD TRAVEL OUT OF TOWN TO RACE AND COMPLAIN JUST THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU FLY OFF THE HANDLE RACE FOR FUN CAUSE YOU AINT GONNA GET RICH NOT EVEN BREAK EVEN J M O

When we were kids, we all played the "justice game" with our siblings and parents.

"Mom, Bubba hit me."

And we expected Mom to correctly determine whether Bubba or the complainer was a fault and to dish out the appropriate justice.

When Mom made a bad call, we stomped off and bitched and moaned to anyone who would listen. Even when she made the right call, we'd stomp off and bitch and moan hoping to perhaps gain some favor or other. But when we went to sleep at night we knew that she made the right call or at least she tried her best to do so in spite of all the bitching and moaning from the kids involved.

Race officials are not mind readers. Race officials are not all-seeing, all-knowing judges who rule with 100% accuracy.Race officials are not your mother.

Most of the race officials I know are good-hearted volunteers who do it because they want to help the sport. They deserve our respect whether you believe they made the right call or not. They are not your mother.

Nick

Nick, point well taken. Then they need TO MAKE A CALL and the drivers will have to deal with it. ALL INVOLVED is not a call but a rule.

Actually, the "All Involved Rule" and "Judgement Call Rule" are basically the same rule. Just the title of the rule and a few minor wording changes between the two.

All Involved Rule: All involved in bringing out a caution period go to the back unless it is obvious who caused the caution.

Judgement Rule: If it is obvious who caused the caution, he/she goes to the back. If it's not obvious, all involved go to the back.

No real difference.

Nick

#7 states that u want me to be responsible for my night. Im good for being responsible for my car ,but, u are asking me to be responsible for every other car on the track. I cant control what other drivers do with their steering wheel, brake ,& gas pedal. If u have a class or series with very experienced drivers , I can see " All Involved " working ok . This is not the case at STS . All classes have a mixture of very experienced drivers racing against some very green drivers . Green driver or experienced , I don't like having to suffer the consequences of someone elses actions .For whatever it's worth , none of the drivers I talk to like the "ALL INVOLVED " rule . Simply said ,I don't like it . I,d much rather take a chance on a official making a fair call. I do understand the call wont allways make me happy, but , the odds are in my favor because most of the calls made are right . JMO Chuck B.

Chuck,

I agree with you completely. I don't like all the items that come with All Involved. However you either have to do it completely or not at all. I don't know if we will stick with this the entire year, But we are for the next two races. I still am watching and looking to see what will be the best for OUR track.

Ken Hobbs

Chuck,

I agree with you completely. I don't like all the items that come with All Involved. However you either have to do it completely or not at all. I don't know if we will stick with this the entire year, But we are for the next two races. I still am watching and looking to see what will be the best for OUR track.

Ken Hobbs

Thanks for watching ,looking and listening. Chuck B.

AS a fan I don't think most know what's going on when cars are getting their spots back , I have watched and raced many things and never seen this done till South Texas Speedway. I always thought it was how you came to flag after it came out. I have seen many front running cars spin put on their own and get put back up front because they waited for a yellow flag to come out. As a fan your watching favorite driver running mid pack and the cars upfront are racing hard and get together and wreck, your guy passes them on the track back to the yellow and you give the spots back, that's bull ! If they cant race and stay out of trouble then they need to be put back or sent off the track! I like the all involved but I would rather see it how you get back to flagman, although the racers would have keep safety in mind. never see NASCAR give spots back! I was hoping with this all involved rule everyone would drive better knowing they would be sent back. If someone is intentionally running into cars or spinning cars out than that would be to track officials to make that call. No mulligans in racing ! J M O

Archived