questionable calls

slowman80

Nick I was joking on that post and you're right I haven't been to HMP since an ASA race but am thinking of trying July 5 if I can get away from the family or take them too. The only highlights I've seen from HMP have been wrecks and fights. With the exception of AMCAR, they pul 15-20 cars/class and stands are always packed the $1 soda and $1 hot dog is a good marketing move and $5 admission will bring em in. It is a place I want to go see and know they do have talent there.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason you see wrecks and confrontations in the media is because HMP uses those incidents to attract paid customers. It's called marketing 101. Build a rivalry and they will come. Build anticipation that Bubba will wreck Billy Bob and they will come. The wreck may never happen, and probably won't because Bubba and Billy Bob have long since buried the hatchet, but it makes for drama and drama sells tickets.

Actually, what is happening at HMP is very much a throwback to the "good old days" of the 60s, 70s and early 80s.

As many of us who were around in those days know, the racers handled the vast majority of on-track incidents themselves. And If someone was clearly being overly-agressive and stinking up the show time after time, the track would step in and tell the guy he was no longer welcome - bar him for a year, or whatever.

I never in a million years would have thought I'd be saying this, but the HMPs Madhouse Rule has proven to be the right way to run a racing show. It puts driving back in the hands of the drivers. And if there is an issue, it's between two drivers and not between the track and two drivers.

Nick

I know the marketing game HMP is using and was just stating the fact that's all I've seen with no opinion one way or the other. It's media 101, "if it bleeds it leads" Whether I agree with it or not on a moral level is irrelevant. As I've said, HMP has it going on right now, busy pits and busy stands. I think what's getting STS in trouble are two things, inconsistency and changing midway through. Now the precedent is set. It's on the drivers here to abide and adapt to the changes and the track needs to be consistent in enforcing the same rules for everyone.

Well it is one day until race night.Nothing more to say until that is over.It seems everything was a result of Saturday night.Since I wasn't there can't say anything about that.Sunday night was interesting not sure what to take out of that other than it is different than it used to be.To be expected I guess.

Archived